Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Playoffs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzerelli
    The WHL like other professional leagues is all about business. Is it a coincidence that two of the wealthiest Major Junior teams in Canada are ranked numbers 1 and 2 in the country. In a couple years they will probably be joined by Edmonton, Portland and Kamloops as teams that are perennially at the top. Money buys state of the art training facilities, specialty coaches, dozens of scouts, personnel to take care of all the little details that on small market teams are dumped on the GM. Big spenders win championships, just look at the Yankees and Red Sox. The Cougars, Ice, Raiders, Warriors, Broncos are just the Blue Jays on ice. vci33
    Problem with your "theory" is that Calgary and Vancouver don't win every year. They also don't lure players from other teams with huge salaries.
    Perhaps you can show us your accounting figures that show the wealthiest teams?
    How did MH Tigers win the league? And how do you explain Moose Jaw making it to the finals a couple years ago. Kelowna is always competitive as is Kootenay. Lets hear about how rich Kootenay is? I bet they have the best winning percentage in the last decade bar none.
    Your "theory" has more holes than Swiss cheese.
    I'm guessing its just resentment on your part.

Ah yes, a Giant fan. No one said anything about winning every year. What I said was that those teams will be at the top. Do you think that Zabotel or Nunn would have gone from their BCHL teams to the PA Raiders. Would Adam Basford have jumped at the chance to go to Moose Jaw instead of Vancouver. You are looking at history, the future in the dub will depend on how successful a team's business plan evolves. The small market teams don't have access to all that cash, just witness the fact that most small market teams require that the Coach also be the GM and work for 1 salary. The Giants, Hitmen, Silvertips, and next the WinterHawks and Blazers are greatly removed from the grass roots hockey that the WHL used to represent and that is why teams like the Cougars and Raiders will struggle to keep WHL teams in their towns. But I'm sure that an arrogant Giant fan couldn't give a crap about PG, PA or MJ let alone know where they are.

Give it up Fonzerelli. Your whining makes me sick.

I live in Vancouver, and I love junior hockey. I cheer for the Giants, like a lot of us who live here do. Why does that make us arrogant? Should I not cheer for my local team just because they play in a big market (with way more competition for fans' dollars, by the way).

If you ask any fan of junior hockey, they will ALL say that small market teams are CRITICAL for the success of the league. No one want to see the league comprised only of teams in big cities.

I agree that big market teams have an advantage in terms of POTENTIAL to make more money. But it takes a smart owner to hire the right people. Junior hockey failed twice in Calgary and Edmonton before now, and Portland just about did too. Why are the the Thunderbirds not always at the top - they are in the largest metro area in the league!

Players with a choice have been avoiding Portland like the plague, Everett has had a ton of players leave voluntarily, yet these are the so-called "privileged." Your argument is so full of holes all that is left is your pathetic jealousy.

Complain about the league's lack of an effective profit-sharing plan if you want -- at least that has the potential to improve the chances of maintaining teams in all markets -- but don't just whine and crap all over Giants fans because your team doesn't measure up.
    The only good thunderstick is one shoved up a cowbell.

Ah yes, a Giant fan. No one said anything about winning every year. What I said was that those teams will be at the top. Do you think that Zabotel or Nunn would have gone from their BCHL teams to the PA Raiders. Would Adam Basford have jumped at the chance to go to Moose Jaw instead of Vancouver. You are looking at history, the future in the dub will depend on how successful a team's business plan evolves. The small market teams don't have access to all that cash, just witness the fact that most small market teams require that the Coach also be the GM and work for 1 salary. The Giants, Hitmen, Silvertips, and next the WinterHawks and Blazers are greatly removed from the grass roots hockey that the WHL used to represent and that is why teams like the Cougars and Raiders will struggle to keep WHL teams in their towns. But I'm sure that an arrogant Giant fan couldn't give a crap about PG, PA or MJ let alone know where they are.
    I wonder how many players have refused to report to Vancouver or Calgary? I'm guessing ZERO. It's not even a worry for these teams come draft day.

I miss the old days when there were fewer teams (that weren't watered down) and players were happy to make any team. Sure there were teams who seemed to be contenders year after year, but there didn't seem to be such a great division. Yah Yah, I know- Get Over It!
    For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBits
    I wonder how many players have refused to report to Vancouver or Calgary? I'm guessing ZERO. It's not even a worry for these teams come draft day.
    Kyle Turris and Dan Bertram for starters. Oh and our GM doesn't piss away players like Stefan Elliot et al.

Do you think that Zabotel or Nunn would have gone from their BCHL teams to the PA Raiders. Would Adam Basford have jumped at the chance to go to Moose Jaw instead of Vancouver.
    Well Jamie Benn left for Kelowna and Evan Pighin left for the mighty Red Deer Rebels.

Oh ,almost forgot Arthur fonzerelli left Swift Current for Vancouver and still he is bitter.

The large market teams have the potential to make more and can lure talented players a bit better than the smaller market teams can, but to say the small market teams can't compete in this league is just ..well .. small minded.

The teams need good owners, GMs, coaches and systems. Players will go to Lethbridge, Saskatoon or Prince Albert if the climate is right and they feel they can get good experience and exposure from the team. Right now PG is in an ownership crisis to the point where fans are refusing to go to games because of how the team is run by the owners and by extension managed. Its not because they are a small market franchise, but because they are being badly mismanaged.

The Bruins are having growing pains, because they were/are also being mismanaged. The players will stay away if they are being treated poorly or don't see a future with the team. The Bruins lost a bunch of quality players this year because the team itself was being poorly managed and I don't know if that was from the GMs, the hockey savvy yet seemingly absent ownership group, at the coaching level or a combination of those factors, but one thing's for sure the Bruins had players defecting due to some internal conflict, not because they weren't a rich team.

The concern I have with lack of fan support in PG is that it will become a self-fullfilling prophecy. The franchise is one of the farther franchises in the league and most certainly the BC Div and if it continues to lose support the owners will either have to (ideally) sell to a local concern, but far more likely will sell to a buyer in a different city entirely.

The franchise will not improve by refusing to go to games you'd like to see, but could fold. I'm really not sure what kind of message this is sending to the league or the players. I'm not sure if that's a good reason to stop going to games, but I'm not in PG right now so I have no way of knowing how bad the ownership group really is.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrat
    Kyle Turris and Dan Bertram for starters. Oh and our GM doesn't piss away players like Stefan Elliot et al.
    I thought they traded him because he wouldn't play in PG.
    For What It's Worth

I think big market teams have two main advantages. First off they have more scouts and front office personnel then the smaller market teams. Here is Spokane this resulted in picking up Tokarski and Koper, both of whom were undrafted. Moving forward this advantage in scouting will be critical in evaluating the new wave of Elite US born players coming into the league. The second real advantage is the VERY flawed Euro draft. Basically it is teams making deals with these kids before the draft allowing the Euros to pick and choose who they play with. I say this knowing that the Chiefs have probably benefitted more than anybody the last 15 years from Euros, From Bure in the early 90's all the way through Roman and Ulmer this year.

in my oppinion the cougars are done for,
    mattes gone
    armstrongs gone
    danas gone
    cepek and jackson gone
    and many more

Then there is...
    Connolly...will he want to return or go somewhere big thats going to get him drafted first round
    Maylan...one of the top pt getters playing 3rd and 4th line
    Stanfeild...Healthy scratch for a playoff game for a 16 year old

Not to mention the guys that were pissed away and left the team during the season!