Thread: AHL to Abbotsford

Post AHL to Abbotsford

by Alan Caldwell

The Calgary Flames have announced that they are ceasing operations of their AHL club in Moline, Illinois after this season.
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...898/story.html
    They plan to request to the league that they be allowed to move their AHL club to Abbotsford, BC. This is likely of considerable interest to the WHL, since Abbotsford happens to be in the same drawing area as two WHL teams - Vancouver and Chilliwack. Abbotsford is right smack in the middle of the two teams geographically and thus is probably in the position of competing with both teams for hockey fans' entertainment dollars.

I'm not sure if the AHL is going to work in Abbotsford though....sure, there's a brand new 7,000+ seat arena which no doubt holds a lot of appeal to the owners. But travel has to be an issue....the AHL is primary based in the Eastern time zone, and the nearest team to Abbotsford is in Winnipeg. For a bus travel-based league, Abbotsford is probably not going to work unless the team agrees to subsidize the cost of air travel for its visiting opponents. When you add those costs to the bottom line....is it still feasible in Abbotsford? How much would the tickets have to cost to cover those additional travel expenses?

We'll see.....one thing's for sure, if they put the team there then it'll be a chance for WHL fans on the coast to still easily view the progress of the pro careers of some of their WHL favourites.

http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/200...bbotsford.html

If the Chilliwack Bruins were smart, they would have been all over that new arena. I'm sure there's a lease agreement with the Prospera Centre but moving to Abbotsford would be a better business move. More centralized to the Fraser Valley, and now with over 1 million people living south of the Fraser River, they would probably get better attendance than they do in the Wack.

I give the AHL 2 seasons before it has to relocate due to travel time and costs.
    RENFREW WRECKING CREW

So according to this post http://www.whlfans.ca/showpost.php?p=130607&postcount=6 the WHL is not allowed in Winnipeg so they are not in competition with the AHL. Yet here they are talking about moving an AHL franchise and putting it in the middle of two WHL franchises. Sounds like a crappy double standard to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko
    If the Chilliwack Bruins were smart, they would have been all over that new arena. I'm sure there's a lease agreement with the Prospera Centre but moving to Abbotsford would be a better business move. More centralized to the Fraser Valley, and now with over 1 million people living south of the Fraser River, they would probably get better attendance than they do in the Wack.
    I doubt a WHL team would survive there, let alone an AHL team.

They will probably deny it, the travel is too ridiculous.

All-Time Favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote14
    I doubt a WHL team would survive there, let alone an AHL team.
    It would have to be seen to prove I guess. The TEAM 1040 poll today had 61% of those responding saying "yes" they'd go see an AHL team. But that doesn't mean all 61% would by season tickets.

Not to say Chilliwack is a bad place for a WHL team, just given the growth of the Fraser Valley, having the Bruins in a more centralized location would be better for attendance. Having said that though, I like the Prospera Centre and when it's full, it has a great atmosphere.
    RENFREW WRECKING CREW