Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rockets rub out Giants

Post Rockets rub out Giants

By Doyle Potenteau

It‘s been four years since the Kelowna Rockets last hoisted a banner. On Monday night, the Rockets added a new one: 2009 Western Conference champions.

Mikael Backlund scored a hat trick for Kelowna, including the game-winning goal in overtime, as the Rockets rallied from a pair of two-goal deficits to defeat the Vancouver Giants 5-4 in WHL playoff action. With the win, Kelowna claimed its first Western Conference championship since 2005, and third in franchise history, winning the best-of-seven series 4-2.

Kelowna will now meet the Calgary Hitmen in the WHL final. That series is tentatively scheduled to start in Calgary with Games 1 and 2 this Friday and Saturday at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

Backlund‘s game-winning goal came four minutes into overtime, as he deflected a shot from Tysen Dowzak at the left blue-line boards. Dowzak‘s shot appeared to go off Backlund‘s raised arms before deflecting past Giants goaltender Tysen Sexsmith. The Giants called for an immediate review, a process which took approximately five minutes before it was called a goal.

"It went off my stick," said Backlund, a Calgary Flames draft pick. "Or, I thought it went off my stick. I don‘t know; I‘ll have to take a closer look at it. But this was an unbelievable win.

"We were down, but the team kept coming back. We dominated them in the second period and we were all over them. Now we play Calgary, and I‘m happy for that. When they won the (Eastern Conference), I was happy because I wanted to play them in the final. I love going there, I love the city because it‘s unbelievable and I love the rink there. I have good memories there, and I can‘t wait to go there."

Meanwhile, Giants goaltender Tyson Sexsmith said the goal should have been studied closer.

"What I saw is he went up with both hands in the air – I‘d say neck-high– and the blade could have been at crossbar height," Sexsmith said of Backlund‘s game-winning deflection. "But where the puck made contact was below his top hand, and that was definitely above the crossbar.

"I don‘t know what the rule is clearly enough, so, obviously, part of his stick was under the crossbar, if that is the rule. But it definitely did make contact with his stick."

"We looked at it and we can‘t really tell," added Giants general manager Scott Bonner. "It‘s all in the past now, and good for Kelowna because they deserved to win the series. They‘ll be a good competitor for Calgary."

Evander Kane, with two goals, Jon Blum and James Henry scored for Vancouver, which raced out to leads of 1-0 and 3-1 before the first period was over. Jamie Benn and Cody Almond, with goals 33 seconds apart late in the third, also scored for Kelowna, which outshot Vancouver 32-17, including 18-6 in the third.

Mark Guggenberger made 13 saves for the Rockets, while Sexsmith stopped 27 shots for the Giants. On Sunday, Vancouver listed Sexsmith as a possible scratch, saying he wasn‘t 100 per cent and might be sick with the flu.

After Kelowna narrowly missed scoring in the opening 30 seconds, with a shot rolling through Vancouver‘s crease, Blum scored the game‘s first goal at 4:11, knifing home a high power-play slapshot from the blue-line. Backlund levelled the score six minutes later, going five-hole after dangling in the slot. The Giants, however, regained their lead, then added to it before the frame ended, with Kane wristing in a rebound on the power play at 16:27, then Henry going high glove side on a breakaway at 18:58 to make it 3-1.

In the second, Backlund drew Kelowna to within one at 17:19 with a highlight-reel goal. With the Rockets on the power play, Backlund ragged the puck across the Giants‘ blue-line, cut through two defenders, then, while falling, loosed a hard, top-shelf shot just before a third Giant came in to help defend.

In the third, the Rockets lost top defenceman Tyler Myers for boarding when he crushed Giants defenceman Craig Schira into Vancouver‘s end boards. Schira was cut on the hit – he required 10 stitches, also suffered a concussion plus a broken hand – and Myers was hit for a major and a game misconduct.

"It‘s unfortunate because I thought Myers was the best player in the series," said Bonner. "It‘s just two guys and it‘s unfortunate the way it happened."

Ten seconds into their five-minute power play, Kane banged in a rebound to make it 4-2 Giants. But in the dying minutes of the period, the Rockets rallied and began throwing waves of offence at Vancouver, and, at 15:55, Benn made it 4-3 with a power-play goal. Then, at 16:28, Almond made it 4-3 with a screened wrister from the slot to force overtime.

"We scored really quick on the power play, then we burned up four-and-a-half minutes of nothing," said Bonner. "We had to get that finishing goal there, and I was sitting with Pat (Quinn) and we were worried that when we didn‘t get that goal, they would build momentum off it instead of us. And they did."

"They‘re a good team, and anytime you give a good team a chance to score, they‘re going to," said Sexsmith. "I don‘t think you can get comfortable. We‘re up 3-1, they make it 3-2, then we‘re able to make it 4-2. It‘s a game where one team is fighting for its life and the other is fighting to move on. Neither team is going to give up, and they had that killer instinct, where they were able to push and push until they were able to tie it up."

After the game, Myers was named the Western Conference series‘ MVP.

"This is an unbelievable feeling," said Myers, a 6-foot-8 blue-liner from DeWinton, Alta., and Buffalo Sabres first-round draft pick. "I can‘t say enough about the guys and how they battled back. It was tough to watch (in my street clothes) after I took that penalty, but the guys played so well. Now there‘s one more series to go, and we‘re looking forward to playing Calgary."

ICE CHIPS: Kelowna‘s scratches were RW Shane McColgan, RW Spencer Main and D Kyle Verdino. Vancouver‘s scratches were D Neil Manning, RW Brendan Gallagher, LW J.T. Barnett, C Todd Kennedy and D Bronson Maschmeyer... Kelowna was 2-for-4 on the power play; Vancouver was 3-for-5... The three stars were Backlund, Kane and Benn. Casey Pierro-Zabotel finished the game with a +/- of -3.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/st....php?id=182123

Default Dear God, Thank You.....

Thank you for getting rid of one of the leagues biggest domesticated pets.

Now please do the same with the other one.

And, by the way, thanks for your support in our Cup bid. You got my vote to win it all this year.

the rockets will be swept just like your wheaties in four game tten the hitman are going to the m-cup
    my call is spitfires & hitman in m-cup final.
    KIRK is a four letter word if ya know what i mean!!!
    Vancouver Giants
    Division Titles: 2005, 2006, 2007,2008,2009
    Western Conference Championships 2006,2007
    Western Hockey League Championships: 2006
    Memorial Cup Championships: 2007

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
    Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Whoops, guess you were wrong about the sweep...
    Kelowna Rockets
    Division Titles: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
    Regular Season Championships: 2003, 2004, 2014
    Western Conference Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Western Hockey League Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Memorial Cup Championships: 2004

ya should have given you one game still think the hitmen will take the title.i stand by my m-cup prediction
    Vancouver Giants

Default What will be your excuse next time?

Just a small piece of advise lad - let it go - the sun will come up tommorrow - promise.

This is a six or seven game series anyone who thinks different isnt watching the games.

As for your prediction - just curious how many times have you seen Windsor play? You do realize that Drummonville is 13 and 0 in the playoffs. Whoever comes from the dub will have a good shot but aside from Rimouski i dont see any clear advantage for any team.

Go Rockets Go

SNP has showen two game that i wacthed the spitfire play in they look very impressive
    for a OHL team. As for teams from the QMHL i think there stats are paded,I think the top teams are way better then rest in the Q.That said watch out for Rimouski because will all remember a dub team as the host not to long ago that got knockout then layed in wait getting healthy and schooled every one in the m-cup.
    Vancouver Giants

great game by the Rockets, but Guggie was pretty lucky in that one as well. He was solid though. I still think he's the weak link on the Rockets and if the Hitmen get some real pressure to the front of the net (not an easy thing to do as the Rockets D clog up the front of the net very well) they will feast upon him.

This is going to be tougher for the Hitmen than I thought it would be .. congrats to the Rockets for a game one win -- a nicely played complete game.

pets? wheatiemaniac? -- sounds like sour grapes to me -- four consecutive 100pt seasons and two trips to the Mem Cup with one cup win.. nothing pet or domesticated about it -- the Giants are the real deal, Hay is one of the best, if not the best coach in the Dub and the boys play hard for one another -- I see no coddling, just some bitterness from the East that your vaunted Wheaties, with all their skill and depth couldn't win one game in their series versus the Hitmen.
    Last edited by dondo; 05-02-2009 at 03:44 PM.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 1978giantsfan View Post
    the rockets will be swept just like your wheaties in four game tten the hitman are going to the m-cup
    my call is spitfires & hitman in m-cup final.

I wouldn't count out either of the Quebec teams. I agree that Rimouski is a step below all the other teams that will make it, but playing at home does make a difference in the Memorial Cup. Also, I know historically the QMJHL hasn't fared too well in the Memorial Cup, but 3 of the last 4 times the tournament has been held in Quebec League territory, a Q team has won it. The WHL hasn't won the Memorial Cup in Quebec since Kamloops in 1994.

^ it helps when the organizers screw over the visiting teams by putting them up out in the boonies and making sure they get inferior practice times and locations. Let's hope that crap doesn't happen in Rimouski, because it certainly happened in Moncton.

yeah I know sour grapes, but it didn't help the visiting teams and was definitely shady.

I still don't see a Dub team losing in the Memorial Cup ths year. Rimouski was soundly eliminated in the playoffs, the OHL team might be a challenge (but they'll be beat up a bit), but when the Mem Cup was in the West I have to say I was woefully disappointed in the level of teams which came out here. Neither Lewiston nor Plymouth were even on the same competitive tier as the Tigers and Giants. I couldn't believe these guys actually won their respective leagues. Last year the Kitchener Rangers were supposed to be unbeatable, but they were crushed handily.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/