Thread: Locals on the scouting radar for upcoming bantam draft

Post Locals on the scouting radar for upcoming bantam draft

By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News

Justin Hickman plans to approach Thursday’s Western Hockey League Bantam Draft with an open mind.

The speedy forward for the Kelowna bantam tier 1 Rockets will happily accept whatever decisions are made about his potential future in junior hockey.

“I’m not going to worry too much about how high I go, or who picks me,” said Hickman, 15.

“I’m excited about the draft, but I also know it’s just one step. There’s a lot of work to do after that.

“Whoever takes me, I’m going to be excited about it.”

Consensus among local scouts and coaches is that Hickman is likely to be chosen anywhere from late in the second round to somewhere in the fourth round during Thursday’s draft of 1994-born players.

Bantam Rockets’ head coach Steve Cawley said the 6-foot, 170 pound right wing has all the tools to become productive major junior player.

“I’d say he’s the best power forward in the Okanagan,” Cawley said of Hickman, who led the bantam Rockets in scoring this season. “He has good size, good speed, he’s grown a lot and he’s improved tremendously over the last year.

“Scouts love him because he does everything well.”

A few of Hickman’s teammates in Kelowna could get a look from WHL teams on Thursday in Edmonton, including centre Turner Lawson and defenceman Christian Chernoff.

Several players from the Pursuit of Excellence Hockey Academy are expected to be chosen in the 2009 draft.

Among them are a pair of homegrown forwards—Kelowna’s Travis Blanleil and Brent Lashuk from Winfield.

Defenceman Kade Pilton and forward Evan Richardson—both from Vancouver Island—are two other POE players who have been receiving considerable attention from scouts.

While being chosen in the draft can be an exciting moment for a young player, there’s no guarantee a major junior career will follow. In most cases, players are still at least two years away from the WHL and a lot of changes can take place during that time.

Conversely, Cawley said players who are passed over in the draft shouldn’t be discouraged.

“When kids are drafted at such a young age, they still have a lot of developing to do, so you don’t know what the finished product is going to be,” said Cawley.

“For kids who don’t get drafted, there are still some tremendous opportunities out there. If they work hard and keep improving, they’ll get noticed.

“Some of the kids who don’t get drafted can still end up being great hockey players.”

The Portland Winterhawks will have the first pick Thursday in Edmonton, followed by the Moose Jaw Warriors and Chilliwack Bruins.

The Kelowna Rockets’ first choice in Thursday’s draft will be 17th overall.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_.../43906032.html

Post How it turned out for the locals...

Justin Hickman was selected #34 by Seattle in the second round.
    Turner Lawson was selected #226 by Saskatoon.
    Christian Chernoff was undrafted.

Travis Blanleil was selected #150 by Kamloops.
    Brent Lashuk was selected #72 by Prince Albert in the fourth round.
    Kade Pilton was selected #25 by Chilliwack in the second round.
    Evan Richardson was selected #15 by Swift Current in the first round.

Others from the Kelowna Pursuit Of Excellence:
    Jari Erricson was selected #29 by Everett in the second round.
    Matthieu Bellerive was selected #43 by Vancouver in the second round.
    Morgan Zulinick was selected #52 by Edmonton in the third round.
    Matthew Allan was selected #125 by Swift Current.
    Mitchell Fyffe was selected #189 by Kootenay.

Not one local player was selected by the Rockets.