Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Hitmen v Rockets for the League Championship

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    FWIW, Tyler Myers was born in Texas and lived there until he was 10, when the family moved to Alberta.

He has dual citizenship and had the option to play for either USA or Canada internationally; he chose Canada but could have just as easily chosen the USA. Would being an "American" player instead of a "Canadian" player make any difference at all in his game or whether he's a "team player"? No.

There's plenty of good & bad, cocky & humble players on both sides of the border.
    I guess you watched game 1 of the Mem Cup round-robin as well, eh? .. yeah I wasn't aware that he was born in the US of A, but his development years were in Alberta, so a little from column A, a little from column B.

The American players as an import idea is an interesting one, but really the influx of talent from the States has yet to really warrant that imo.

As I said before the players being selected from the States are the very top of their game and like the Euros, have to show interest coming to play in the Dub before being picked or signed. The Euro draft has always been a bit suspect, as the teams find who they want beforehand and establish a contract before even "drafting" the player. Its not really a draft, per-se except that higher pick teams get first choice on who to approach.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

Yeah the Euro draft is a joke, And I'm saying this as a Chiefs fan who have probably benefited as much as anyone from the flawed structure. The last thing in the world the WHL needs to do is copy that for US players.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jeff View Post
    Yeah the Euro draft is a joke, And I'm saying this as a Chiefs fan who have probably benefited as much as anyone from the flawed structure. The last thing in the world the WHL needs to do is copy that for US players.
    I disagree. Considering Americans as imports works for me. The only potential barrier would be what happens with the U.S. teams? After all, the CHL should be about developing Canadians first and foremost.
    "You can't always win, but you can always feel like you deserve to"

Quote Originally Posted by WHEATMAN View Post
    I disagree. Considering Americans as imports works for me. The only potential barrier would be what happens with the U.S. teams? After all, the CHL should be about developing Canadians first and foremost.
    You Canadian protectionists do realize that there's quite a number of Canadian players who are developing while playing hockey in the USA, don't you? All those Canadian kids in the NCAA are benefiting from the U.S. system just as much as the U.S. kids in the CHL are benefiting from the Canadian system.

I don't have numbers but I would bet there are a lot more Canadians in the NCAA than there are Americans in the CHL.

If we Canadians shut the CHL's doors to Americans (and calling them "imports" without increasing the number of allowed imports would be doing just that), why shouldn't they also ban Canadians from the NCAA? Is that what we want? Then what happens to the late-blooming Canadian kids who currently aren't ready for the WHL at 17 or 18 but who develop into fine players in the NCAA at age 21 or 22? They'd be outta luck because there's no place in Canada for kids to play elite-level amateur hockey at age 21, 22, 23, etc.

I'm 100% in favour of letting American kids play in the CHL, with no restrictions....basically, the current system works as far as I'm concerned. The more high-end U.S. talent we get into the CHL, the better the overall calibre of hockey is for everyone. And if you really tap that U.S. pipeline (so far we're just scratching the surface there, most American players still go to the NCAA), then you'll have more than enough talent to justify further CHL expansion - which in turn opens up more spots for Canadian kids too. Everyone benefits.