Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wow did not see this coming

Default wow did not see this coming

here's me eating some humble pie.

Congratsto kelowna did not see this happening at all.Three games to zero crazy talk.Hope you can keep this moment em up all the way in to the m-cup final cause look right now that's where your headed.

On different note watching these games on tv makes me wonder were are all the rocket jerseys? when the tv scans the crowd it does not look like many fans have jerseys on whats up with that buy some jersey you die hard fans.
    KIRK is a four letter word if ya know what i mean!!!
    Vancouver Giants
    Division Titles: 2005, 2006, 2007,2008,2009
    Western Conference Championships 2006,2007
    Western Hockey League Championships: 2006
    Memorial Cup Championships: 2007

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
    Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Guggenburgers stats through game 3 of the WHL Finals:

76 saves
    79 shots
    Save percentage: .962
    GAA: 1.0

Kelowna is destined for the Memorial Cup, whatever happens. We all support the WHL and it's talent, I for one...will be cheering on the WHL no matter the team.

All-Time Favorite.

Guggenberger's been great and the defense has been suffocating. Plus the Rockets aren't always relying on their top guns to score, they're getting secondary scoring. On top of all that they can win games without some of their top players in the lineup (Benn tonight, Myers late in Game 6 vs Vancouver). The Rockets are firing on all cylinders right now, with a well balanced attack. It's fun to watch!
    Kelowna Rockets
    Division Titles: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
    Regular Season Championships: 2003, 2004, 2014
    Western Conference Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Western Hockey League Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Memorial Cup Championships: 2004

this is like lethbridge and spokane last year ... it is only a matter of time IMO .. still surprised Calgary could not come out and win game 3.

Default WOW what a Great Job Rockets!!!

Go Rockets Go I have to apologize because I did not think anyone could stop the Hitmen You have a lot of Bronco Fans cheering for Guggenberger and the Rockets .KEEP UP THE HARD WORK !!!!!!
    [COLOR=Navy]Go BRONCOS Go

Post One and done for Rockets

By Doyle Potenteau

Mark Guggenberger says the pucks bounced for Kelowna on Monday night. They did, and now the Rockets are one win away from bouncing the Calgary Hitmen.

Guggenberger made 21 saves for Kelowna, and Cody Almond scored into an empty net, as the Rockets defeated the visiting Hitmen 2-0 in a tough, hard-hitting and wildly entertaining Game 3 of the league championship series for a 3-0 lead. The best-of-seven set resumes Wednesday with Game 4 at Prospera Place.

“We caught a few breaks tonight, and that‘s how it goes sometimes,” said Guggenberger, who has been Kelowna‘s best player against Calgary despite this being his first role as a playoff starter. “The teams are really good, and it just comes down to bounces.”

While the Hitmen were unlucky a few times, including a shot that squeaked through Guggenberger, hit the post and bounced out, the Rockets earned the win through hard work.

Kelowna owned the first two periods, outshooting Calgary 21-11, but the Hitmen roared back in the third and put hard pressure on the hosts.

Guggenberger, however, shut the door with a 10-save effort, including four stops in the first four minutes.

“The first two periods, we played a very sound, simple game. And in the third, we were on our heels in a big way,” said Rockets head coach Ryan Huska. “They put on a very big push and we were a little bit uptight towards the end of the game, but our goaltender was very, very big for us again.

“He‘s carried on that theme for the entire series so far, and that‘s a big reason why we were able to get the win in Game 3.”

“He‘s been the MVP of the series so far,” Rockets defenceman Tyler Myers said of Guggenberger. “He‘s playing unbelievable for us back there. He‘s very dedicated and we‘re lucky to have him.”

Asked if he, or anyone else, predicted Kelowna forging out to a 3-0 lead against the WHL‘s regular-season champions, Huska said “No, never.”

“But sometimes that‘s the way it works,” he continued. “As long as our guys keep understanding the style we‘re playing – it‘s not overly fancy – but we‘re doing a good job limiting a lot of their opportunities.

“The only thing we have to correct for the next time is what happened on our part in the third

period: We got uptight and started making softer plays, and that‘s something that has to change.”

Ryley Grantham also scored for Kelowna, which opened the scoring late in the first period. Almond closed out the scoring with 5.7 seconds left with a slow-rolling backhand from centre ice into an empty net.

Martin Jones made 22 saves for Calgary, which entered the playoffs with the league‘s best regular-season record. Guggenberger, meanwhile, recorded his third post-season shutout, thanks in part to a dozen or more blocked shots.

“I owe a lot of it to my guys; they‘ve really been working hard blocking shots and helping me out,” said Guggenberger. “They‘re boxing them out from in front of the net and they‘re tying up sticks so they can‘t get any pretty back-door plays on us.”

The Rockets were without leading scorer and left winger Jamie Benn, who suffered an undisclosed injury in Kelowna‘s 5-2 victory in Game 2 on Saturday. After taking a shot along Calgary‘s goal-line midway through the first period, Benn was levelled by Hitmen defenceman Keith Seabrook and was knocked out of the game after falling hard into the endboards, then onto the ice.

Asked about Benn‘s condition, Huska said “No, no Jamie Benn tonight.”

“He‘s a day-to-day thing. When our doctors evaluated him a few different times throughout the day, he‘s a game-time guy. So hopefully the extra day off will be something important for Jamie. Looking at that, we‘re fortunate that (a day off Tuesday) was put in the schedule.”

In the game‘s opening minute, Seabrook touched the puck four times, and each time he was heartily jeered by the standing-room only crowd of 6,329. And when Rockets forward Evan Bloodoff hit him into Calgary‘s endboards at 55 seconds, a loud cheer ensued.

Seabrook, however, ignored the jeers and had a good game for the Hitmen, though the Rockets seemed to target the six-foot rearguard from Delta.

With three minutes left, Almond laid a hard hit on Seabrook just below Kelowna‘s blue-line, hard enough to knock off Seabrook‘s helmet. Seabrook seemed dazed, but quickly skated off to Calgary‘s bench.

“I think they were,” Seabrook said of being targeted by Kelowna. “I wasn‘t a fan favourite out there, but it‘s fun to play that game. Boos are like cheers on the road; it‘s fun, and I expect the same thing Wednesday.”

ICE CHIPS: – Kelowna‘s scratches were LW Jamie Benn (unlisted injury, possible concussion), RW Shane McColgan and RW Kyle St. Denis (flu, possible concussion). Calgary‘s scratches were D Austin Madaisky, LW Mackenzie Royer, LW Tyler Fiddler and C Jason MacDonald. Calgary was 0-for-1 on the power play; Kelowna was 0-for-3.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/st....php?id=183724

Quote Originally Posted by 1978giantsfan View Post
    here's me eating some humble pie.
    I think most, maybe even a few Kelowna fans, are stuffed with humble pie. I also thought that Calgary was easily going to win the league title. I know the Hitmen have historically had collapses in the playoffs, but this team this year seemed different. I know the series isn't officially over yet, but I think everyone knows it is. Still I think it's hard to call this year's performance a collapse. Kelowna has been playing such excellent hockey lately, they've proven it with the teams they've beaten. Kelowna deserves all the kudos in the world for their playoff run thus far. Taking out 3 teams with over 100 points is incredible, and I'll definitely be rooting for the Rockets in the Memorial Cup this year. 3 in a row for the dub would be fantastic!

Iconcup Guggenburger and Backlund

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets1231 View Post
    Guggenberger's been great and the defense has been suffocating. Plus the Rockets aren't always relying on their top guns to score, they're getting secondary scoring. On top of all that they can win games without some of their top players in the lineup (Benn tonight, Myers late in Game 6 vs Vancouver). The Rockets are firing on all cylinders right now, with a well balanced attack. It's fun to watch!
    Who would have thought that Swift Current chose to ride Yonkman in net and got bounced in the first round....yet the guy they nearly gave away is destined for the Mem Cup. Him and Backlund have been quite a presence for you.
    And how high is Riley Granthame's cloud right about now? Sitting on the worst team in the Eastern conference, and in the next breath scoring the winning goal in Game 3 of the League Finals.

It's all yours....Go Get 'Em!!!!!

Guggie has also had a ton of puck luck (more red iron than I can count).. but the Rockets are playing a pretty stifling game.

That said I think that Kirk and Savage are two of the worst refs in the entire WHL and them putting the whistles away and not calling a lot of pick plays the Rockets run with great regualrity is pretty poor. The Rockets did not play that clean of a game and its up to the zebras to call them on their interferences.

The Hitmen have really done nothing with their PP chances this series, so the point might be moot, but more calls should have been made. I don't like massive amounts of PPs, but I also don't like stifling hockey where the advantage is gained by obstructing players wihtout the puck. The Hitmen also need to battle through that clutching and fight to draw the penalty which they aren't doing.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/