Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Congrats Rockets

Default Congrats Rockets

Just want to say congrats on winning the WHL title. I think I can speak for all WHL fans on this board, we are all Rocket fans now....we all support the WHL and it's desire to continue to be the best junior hockey in not only the CHL but the entire world. Rockets for the Memorial Cup!

All-Time Favorite.

Hopefully the Rockets don't disappoint, they'll be facing 3 great teams in the Mem Cup. It was a great series, hopefully the momentum will carry over. I think it was good that Calgary won a couple games, it forced Kelowna to play through some adversity.
    Kelowna Rockets
    Division Titles: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
    Regular Season Championships: 2003, 2004, 2014
    Western Conference Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Western Hockey League Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Memorial Cup Championships: 2004

Way to go Kelowna! Your team sure turned it up the second half of the season and kept it rolling all the way to the end. Can't let up now, just got one more hill to climb!

I remember last year reading about a Kelowna fan who couldn't believe he was rooting for the Chiefs! It was pretty amusing, but also very appreciated. I know Chiefs fans will be reciprocating the favor this year. Keep the cup in the West Kelowna! Good luck at the Memorial Cup.

I have a lot more confidence in the Rockets now that both Jamie Benn and Kyle St Denis are back in the lineup. Go Rockets!

way to go rockets!now its time to represent!

Congratulations Rockets! now go and win the Memorial cup and bring it back to the Dub where it belongs.applause
    Scars are just tattoo's with better stories!

Congrats to the Rockets and to Guggenberger, who only last year was playing for Portland! What a set of circumstances that have allowed him to go from a backup on the worst team in the WHL in recent memory to a starting goalie on a championship team.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Default congrats

let me just say congrats to the rockets for a great run to the ED CHYNOWETH cup and make the WHL proud at the memorial cup.applause

Post Rockets win WHL title

By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News

Just one team in Western Hockey League history has lost a playoff series when leading three games to none.

The Kelowna Rockets refused to become the second.

Tyson Barrie scored on the power play at 8:13 of overtime to lift the Rockets a 3-2 home-ice victory Saturday over the Calgary Hitmen in Game 6 of the WHL final, earning Kelowna a berth in the 2009 Memorial Cup championship in Rimouski, Quebec.

With Alex Plante in the penalty box for hooking, Barrie took a cross-ice pass from Jamie Benn and buried it behind Hitmen goalie Martin Jones sending the sellout crowd of 6,383 into a frenzy.

It was the Rockets’ third WHL title in seven seasons.

“I can’t say how bad, me personally, and all the guys wanted to win,” said Barrie. “Calgary gave it a real good push there the last couple of games, this was a heck of a game too, and we showed some resiliency and got it done in front of the hometown fans, so it was great.”

The Rockets bolted out to a 3-0 lead in the best-of-seven series only to watch the Hitmen rebound with back-to-back wins in Games 4 and 5.

But the Rockets, inspired by the return of Jamie Benn and fellow forward Kyle St. Denis, showed plenty of energy and jump from the outset, outshooting the Hitmen 50-26.

It was Benn’s first of two assists that helped the Rockets break a 1-1 tie at 12:33 of the second period when the 6-foot-2 forward’s centering pass deflected off Lucas Bloodoff’s skate past Hitmen goaltender Martin Jones to make it 2-1.

Benn, the playoffs leading scorer (13 goals and 20 assists), hadn’t played since early in Game 2 due to an undisclosed injury, while St. Denis had been sidelined since the series opener, also with an undisclosed ailment.

Calgary battled back to force overtime on a power play goal by Joel Broad at 12:57 of the third.

The Hitmen opened the scoring at 7:45 of the opening period with a shorthanded goal by Bostjan Golicic as he stepped out of the penalty, took a breakaway pass from Kyle Bortis, then beat Mark Guggenberger to the glove side.

Forty-one seconds after the Golicic marker, the Rockets appeared to tie the score when Tyler Myers’ shot from the point beat Martin Jones but, after a video review, the officials ruled the net had come off its moorings before the puck went in.

Captain Colin Long, with his fourth goal of the playoffs got the Rockets on the board at the 14:43 of the second period on the power play.

Long said the Rockets simply refused to be denied.

“We have so much pride in that room, we faced so much adversity this year,” Long said.

“There was a lot of people that thought we could do it and you know we proved everyone wrong.”

Tyler Myers was named the WHL championship series MVP.

The Rockets will open play at the Memorial Cup next Friday night against the host Rimouski.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_.../44654757.html

Post Rockets shoot down Hitmen for WHL title

By Doyle Potenteau

Mark Guggenberger can‘t speak a lick of French. Neither can Tyler Myers. That might be a problem later this week.

For the fourth time in seven years, the Kelowna Rockets will play in the Memorial Cup, with this year‘s edition taking place in Quebec. On Saturday night, the Rockets booked their eastbound ticket by defeating the Calgary Hitmen 3-2, in overtime, in Game 6 of the Western Hockey League championship series.

With the win, Kelowna claimed the best-of-seven affair, 4-2, and will represent the WHL at the national championship tournament in Rimouski that runs May 15-24. The Rockets also earned trips to the Memorial Cup in 2003 and 2005 as league champions, and 2004 as tournament hosts. The Rockets won the 2004 event, going 4-0.

Guggenberger wasn‘t in Kelowna, or even playing in the league, when the Rockets won junior hockey‘s holy grail that year. This year, though, he was a key component in helping Kelowna knock off the WHL‘s top team. On Saturday night, he made 24 saves.

Another key player was Myers, Kelowna‘s towering 6-foot-8 defenceman who was named the WHL‘s playoff MVP.

“Can I speak any French? Not that I know of,” a smiling Guggenberger said as the Rockets celebrated on the ice after Tyson Barrie scored the game-winning goal at 8:13 of overtime. “I think I might have to go buy a (English-to-French) dictionary. But, honestly, this feels great.

“It‘s really a dream come true,” continued the 20-year-old from Minnesota. “All the teams play for this and we‘re fortunate enough to get it this year.”

Myers knows a little bit of French: Where‘s the toilet?

“That‘s what I always used to try to get out of class,” said a near-breathless Myers, who was a workhorse on Saturday night. “This is unbelievable, but we still have more games to play.”

Colin Long and Lucas Bloodoff also scored for Kelowna, which trailed 1-0 after the first period but led 2-1 after two. Bostjan Golicic, who opened Saturday‘s scoring, and Joel Broda, late in the third, replied for Calgary before a loud and standing-room only crowd of 6,383. Martin Jones turned aside 47 shots for the Hitmen, who were outplayed, especially physically, as the game wore on.

Prior to Saturday night, of the nine times the WHL championship has been played for this decade, the Ed Chynoweth Cup had only been won on home ice twice (Kootenay Ice, 2002; Medicine Hat Tigers, 2007).

“This is unbelievable . . . I‘m so proud of the kids,” said Rockets head coach Ryan Huska. “These guys worked so hard, and a lot of people said they could never do it. They were all over our club at Christmas time, and I‘m very proud of what our guys were able to do.

“This is simply unbelievable.”

In overtime, Barrie ended the series on the power play, as he snuck in from the point and converted a back-door pass from Jamie Benn. The shot was Kelowna‘s 50th of the night on Jones.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/st....php?id=184930