Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitmen v Rockets for the League Championship

Default Hitmen v Rockets for the League Championship

The quest for Western Hockey League supremacy is down to two teams as the Husky WHL Eastern Conference Champion Calgary Hitmen meet the Kal Tire Western Conference Champion Kelowna Rockets in the 2009 WHL Championship series.

The Hitmen and Rockets will now face off in a best-of-seven series for the chance to hoist the Ed Chynoweth Cup and earn a berth at the 2009 MasterCard Memorial Cup tournament in Rimouski, QC.

Here's a look at the 2009 WHL Championship series match-up:

Calgary Hitmen vs Kelowna Rockets

2008-09 head-to-head regular-season record:

Calgary: 1-1-0-0, 2pts
    Kelowna: 1-1-0-0, 2pts

The Hitmen and Rockets met up twice during the 2008-09 regular season – both times at the Pengrowth Saddledome in Calgary – with the teams each winning once.

Jason MacDonald scored the game-winner and added an assist to lead the Hitmen to a 4-3 win over the visiting Rockets in the first encounter on December 14th. The Rockets were without defenseman Tyler Myers and sniper Jamie Benn while the Hitmen were missing Brett Sonne. All three were with Canada’s National Junior team at the time.

Game Summary

The Rockets edged the Hitmen 2-1 in Calgary on February 28th in the second meeting between the teams. Collin Bowman scored the game-winner while Mark Guggenberger turned in a 34-save performance as the Rockets handed the Hitmen just their third regulation loss at home all season.

Game Summary

CALGARY HITMEN, Husky WHL Eastern Conference Champion

2009 Playoffs top scorers:

Joel Broda 12gp-8g-10a-18pts
    Kyle Bortis 12gp-3g-14a-17pts
    Brandon Kozun 12gp-6g-9a-15pts
    Kris Foucault 12gp-10g-4a-14pts

How They Got Here…

-Defeated the Edmonton Oil Kings 4-0 in 1st round.
    -Defeated the Lethbridge Hurricanes 4-0 2nd round.
    -Defeated the Brandon Wheat Kings 4-0 in Husky WHL Eastern Conference Championship series.

The Hitmen are making their first appearance in the WHL Championship series since 1999. Brad Moran and the Hitmen defeated Kyle Calder and the Kamloops Blazers 4-1 to win the 1999 WHL Championship. The Hitmen went on to lose the Memorial Cup Championship game in overtime to the Ottawa 67’s.

After putting up the second-best regular season in WHL history, the Hitmen have plowed their way through the first three playoff rounds with a perfect 12-0 record, tying a WHL record for most consecutive playoff wins.

With a deep and talented group of forwards and a skilled and mobile defense corps, the Hitmen have one of the most powerful offenses the WHL has seen in several years. While names like Brett Sonne, Joel Broda, Brandon Kozun and Kyle Bortis put up big numbers during the regular season, it’s been depth players like Kris Foucault, Ian Schultz and Tomas Karpov who have made significant offensive contributions in the post-season. Either way, the Hitmen have the ability to generate scoring right through their line-up.

Defensively, the Hitmen have been strong. The WHL’s third-best defensive team during the regular season, the Hitmen were near unbeatable through the first two playoff rounds versus Edmonton and Lethbridge. They were tested significantly more by the high-octane Brandon Wheat Kings during the WHL Eastern Conference Championship series, they were able outscore the Wheaties in the end. A strong-skating, big-bodied defense corps featuring NHL prospects Paul Postma, Alex Plante, Keith Seabrook and Michael Stone can also generate significant offense from the back end.

Goaltender Martin Jones signed an NHL contract with the Los Angeles Kings after being a free agent invitee to their training camp in September. Throughout the 2008-09 season, Jones showed exactly why the Kings locked him up, posting a 45-5-3-1 record to go with a 2.08 goals-against average and a .915 save percentage during the regular season. The 19-year-old from North Vancouver, B.C., has continued that solid play during the playoffs. Jones may not have to single-handedly win games for the Hitmen, but he always maintains a steady, reliable presence in the team’s net.

Keys To Success:

-Crash and Bang. The Hitmen have plenty of size both up front and on the blue line. They will need to match the physical play of a Rockets team that also boasts a number of imposing players, particularly on the blue line.

-Secondary Scoring. The Hitmen boast 11 players with 10 or more points in the post-season (Remember, the team has only played 12 games). While the likes of Sonne, Bortis, Broda and Kozun usually find a way to produce, the Hitmen will need continued strong offensive play from Kris Foucault, Ian Schultz, Carson McMillan and Bostjan Golicic if they are to keep pressure on the Rockets’ strong defense.

-Buckle Down the Blue Line. Calgary’s defense was tested by a dynamic and potent Brandon Wheat Kings’ offense. The Hitmen’s defense corps will need to buckle down even more if they are to shut down big, strong group of Rockets forwards, particularly the red-hot Mikael Backlund, sniper Jamie Benn and two-way forward Cody Almond.

KELOWNA ROCKETS - Kal Tire WHL Western Conference Champion

2009 Playoffs top scorers:

Jamie Benn 16gp-11g-17a-28pts
    Cody Almond 16gp-8g-14a-22pts
    Mikael Backlund 13gp-9g-7a-16pts
    Ian Duval 16gp-9g-5a-14pts

How They Got Here…

-Defeated the Kamloops Blazers 4-0 in 1st round.
    -Defeated the Tri-City Americans 4-2 in 2nd round.
    -Defeated Vancouver Giants 4-2 in Kal Tire Western Conference Championship series.

The Rockets are making their first appearance in the WHL Championship series since 2005. Shea Weber and the Kelowna Rockets defeated Eric Fehr and the Brandon Wheat Kings 4-1 to win the 2005 WHL Championship. The Rockets went on to lose all three round-robin games at the 2005 MasterCard Memorial Cup.

Pre-season predictions had the Rockets among teams that were expected to compete for a championship this year. After an inconsistent first half of the season, the Rockets were one of the best teams in the WHL over the second half of the season. So far, the Rockets have carried their dominant form right through the first three playoff rounds, having already beat two teams – Vancouver and Tri-Cities – who put up more than 100 points during the regular season.

Up front, the Rockets boast some of the WHL’s elite talent. Jamie Benn, the WHL’s playoff scoring leader, has been a dangerous trigger man all season, and can dominate physically with his size and strength. Swedish forward Mikael Backlund has become more and more prominent in the Rockets’ offense as the playoffs have gone on, while line mates Ian Duval – a former Hitman – and Cody Almond provide strong two-way play. The Rockets will look for more secondary scoring from the likes of Stepan Novotny, Kyle St. Denis and Lucas Bloodoff to match Calgary’s scoring depth.

Defensively, the Rockets have been incredibly tough to beat in the post-season. Towering blue liner Tyler Myers has perhaps been the WHL’s best defenseman in the post-season, while Tysen Dowzak, Collin Bowman, Brandon McMillan and Tyson Barrie have all helped the Rockets neutralize the powerful offenses of Tri-Cities and Vancouver. Myers and company will have to maintain their high level of play if they are to contain the Hitmen’s deep offense.

Goaltender Mark Guggenberger has proven himself to be one of the WHL’s top goaltenders with his strong and steady play in the 2009 playoffs. The 20-year-old from Richfield, MN, has already won goaltending battles with two elite netminders in Chet Pickard and Tyson Sexsmith. Like his WHL Championship series counterpart, Martin Jones, Guggenberger plays behind a rock-solid defense who can limit top-quality scoring chances. However, Guggenberger continues to show he can come up with big saves when called upon.

Keys To Success:

-Put On the Work Boots. The Rockets are up against a Hitmen team that prides itself on a strong work ethic. If the Rockets are to be successful in this series, they will need to match the Hitmen’s tremendous work ethic to win those crucial puck battles.

-Power Play Potency. The Rockets possess one of the most dangerous power play units in the WHL. One of the only chinks in the Hitmen’s playoff armor was exposed when they came up against the Wheat Kings’ potent power play. If the Rockets can make the most of their man advantage opportunities, they will have that much better of a chance to win the series.

-Road Rage. The Rockets were one of only four teams to come away with two points from a game in Calgary this season. In fact, they were the last team to beat the Hitmen on Saddledome ice when they pulled off a 2-1 win in late February. The Rockets will have to find success in Calgary at least one more time if they want to win the Ed Chynoweth Cup.

Series Schedule

#1 - Kelowna @ Calgary; Friday, May 1 (7:30pm MT)
    #2 - Kelowna @ Calgary; Saturday, May 2 (7:00pm MT)
    #3 - Calgary @ Kelowna; Monday, May 4 (7:00pm PT)
    #4 - Calgary @ Kelowna; Wednesday, May 6 (7:00pm PT)
    #5 - Kelowna @ Calgary; Thursday, May 7 (7:00pm MT)**
    #6 - Calgary @ Kelowna; Saturday, May 9 (7:00pm PT)**
    #7 - Kelowna @ Calgary; Monday, May 11 (7:00pm MT)**
    ** - if necessary
    http://www.whl.ca/2009-whl-championship-series-preview-p128258

IMO, these are the two best teams in the league and the Rockets should be a tough opponent for the Hitmen. I still believe the Hitmen will win the series but I do believe the Rockets will end the Hitmen winning streak at some point in the series. Hitmen in 6.

Default no sweep?

I too believe Calgary will take the championship. Calgary in 6

GO HITMEN, rocking out my playoff mohawk now! Gotta root for my hometown boys!

All-Time Favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by dagley View Post
    GO HITMEN, rocking out my playoff mohawk now! Gotta root for my hometown boys!
    Well TOOT TOOT, there is lots of room on the train!

The winning streak is over and the Rockets have taken a 1-0 series lead after a 3-1. The Hitmen controlled much of the play in the 2nd period but in the 3rd the Hitmen didn't really get going until after the Rockets had taken the lead. Some unfortunate luck tonight as Bortis hit the crossbar late and then the Hitmen hit 3 more posts. I wasn't impressed with the Hitmen tonight, and I would expect to see a much better team tomorrow night, which is suddenly a very big game for the Hitmen.

Well we finally lost one....Thought it was an entertaining game even though the score wouldn't indicate so...Thought Guggenberger should have been a star,he was a bit lucky with a few posts but made some key saves....Was real impressed with the Rockets,their work ethic and the way they take the body as well as a solid defense corps....Should be a good one tomorrow,we'll be in a bit of a bind if we don't pull it out but I totally expect us to be ready.......I still say the Hitmen in 6....

Mission accomplished for Kelowna, they needed the split in Calgary and got it to steal home ice advantage. Calgray's a great team, I mean 12-1 in the playoffs is amazing. Before the series I said either Kelowna in 6 or Calgary in 7 depending on whether or not Kelowna earned the split in the first 2, they did, so I'm sticking with Rockets in 6. That may be slightly biased Either way this will be a great series, and the Memorial Cup Champs will be from the WHL I'm quite sure of that.
    Kelowna Rockets
    Division Titles: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
    Regular Season Championships: 2003, 2004, 2014
    Western Conference Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Western Hockey League Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Memorial Cup Championships: 2004

Iconwhl

Could have been 4-2 hitmen, if only they could bury their chances. I thought the first Rockets goal should have been stopped. Also I found that the Rockets competed harder for loose pucks and such.

The hit of the playoffs imo was, Seabrook on Benn. Holy schnikes!

Go Hitmen Go!

Well now I am worried. The Hitmen an okay first, a very good second but forgot to come back out for the 3rd. Kudos to the Rockets who are taking almost everything away from the Hitmen. Guggenberger was very good tonight particularly in the 2nd period. Big test for the Hitmen now. Down 2 games, can they win 4 of 5? It would be a real shame for this season to go down the drain like this.

I'm definitely surprised at this turn of events. I thought maybe Kelowna could take one in Calgary, but 2? Huge advantage to Kelowna now, but I'm definitely not counting out the Hitmen, far from it. Calgary has just played OK so far and that's a scary thought. They have been kinda streaky. It really seemed to me tonight that when Kelowna got those 2 early 3rd period goals that Calgary didn't really know what to do, I mean they haven't really been in this position at all this year, it's now the same problem for them, they need to go into Kelowna and take at least one, but really I think they need to take both if they are to win this series. The Hitmen are on the ropes, can they come back? I guess we'll see what they're really made of.
    Kelowna Rockets
    Division Titles: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
    Regular Season Championships: 2003, 2004, 2014
    Western Conference Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Western Hockey League Championships: 2003, 2005, 2009, 2015
    Memorial Cup Championships: 2004