Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Monday is the day?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
    who it is, but I have to respect my source. But the GM/Coach will be announced Tuesday. This mess (gong show) will be over. I think most intelligent hockey fans will be impressed with the choice.
    Totally understand about respecting your source. There has been plenty of stuff that I wanted to spill... took me a while to sign up to this forum because of that. I haven't talked to my source in a couple of weeks so I don't anything new. I certainly hope they made a good choice, and moreover, I hope that they let the new GM run things and stay out of his hair.
    RYLAH = Rocked You Like A Hurricane

BugsBunny Guest

Thanks Rylah. However, it seems that the news is out. Greg Drinnan the sports reporter of the Kamloops Daily News is reporting that the Regina Leader Post states that Rich Preston will be announced as the new GM/Coach of the Hurricanes. Both sports reporters are correct. Great Move!

Quote Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
    Thanks Rylah. However, it seems that the news is out. Greg Drinnan the sports reporter of the Kamloops Daily News is reporting that the Regina Leader Post states that Rich Preston will be announced as the new GM/Coach of the Hurricanes. Both sports reporters are correct. Great Move!
    I'm not convinced Preston is the correct choice, and I'm not saying that because I wanted Rich Sutter to get the job. As far as GM goes I don't know what Preston will bring to the table, but I question his coaching tactics. If his results in Calgary are any indication I wouldn't expect the Hurricanes to have a good PP. That being said, the WHL and NHL are entirely different levels. Look at Don Hay, a very good coach in the WHL, but he couldn't hack it in the NHL.

I'm certainly not upset, I'm just leary and will wait to see how things turn out.

BugsBunny Guest

Icon32 NHL/WHL are not the same,,,,

However, the hiring of Rich Preston as GM/Coach will likely be well received by most and I think that Rich's Sutter's reaction will be a positive one as he is apparently a close friend of Preston's. This could lead to Rich being a part of the staff maybe as an assistant gm or assistant coach. This would certainly appease the Rich Sutter supporters.
    In two seasons with Regina the Pats scored over 300 goals each season, in 96-97 their power play was 4th best in the league at .297. Each season they finished 3rd in the east. Not bad stats.clrkthj

BugsBunny Guest

RYLAH....sounds like you and I are very close to the Hurricanes. Good exchanging info with you!

I don't know if the board would allow Rich P to hire Rich S. There was a lot of hard feelings, even before Sutter spoke on the situation with the media. Heck, even before Dyck was let go. I don't know how they conducted their hiring process but Sutter's references were never contacted, which leads me to believe that he was never in any serious contention for the GM job. If he got an interview it was probably just so they could tell the shareholders that they looked at all options.

Quote Originally Posted by RYLAH View Post
    I don't know if the board would allow Rich P to hire Rich S. There was a lot of hard feelings, even before Sutter spoke on the situation with the media. Heck, even before Dyck was let go. I don't know how they conducted their hiring process but Sutter's references were never contacted, which leads me to believe that he was never in any serious contention for the GM job. If he got an interview it was probably just so they could tell the shareholders that they looked at all options.
    I like Preston as a choice much more then Sutter, who know's maybe the Flames will hire him in some capacity, he has the right last name !!
    Last edited by caniac # 2; 06-29-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caniac # 2 View Post
    I like Preston as a choice much more then Sutter, who know's maybe the Flames will hire him in some capacity, he has the right last names !!
    haha lol so true. Our family now calls The Flames the Sutterite Colony!

Does anyone else see the irony here. One Sutter brother is not getting the GM job here because another Sutter brother fired Preston as a coach. Not that I am against the Sutters at all but this is almost too funny.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by caniac # 2 View Post
    I like Preston as a choice much more then Sutter, who know's maybe the Flames will hire him in some capacity, he has the right last name !!
    I like Preston as a coach better than Rich Sutter too. Rich was only applying for GM and my money would have been on him re-hiring Dyck to be the coach.

Hey wait a minute... the board said that the GM could hire his next coach, but the board hired Preston so they lied! </sarcasm>

Seriously though, there will still be a lot of people to win back. Whether Preston turns out to be the best GM/Coach the Canes have had in years won't matter for the near future. People are mad at the board and want change on that level. Did you see the playoff attendance in Lethbridge? Horribly embarrassing. People were already sending a message back then.