Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Monday is the day?!?!?!?!

Default Does it Matter Then?

who the board hired if that logic is true RYLAH? If the shareholders and ticket holders were trying to send a message in the playoffs etc, what were they doing the year before. I believe attendance was poor in the first two rounds of the run to the final.

I hope the board has hired the right person to get this team going again and considering the relationship the Sutter's have with Preston, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see him get a position with him if the board was being truthful when they said the new G.M. would have free rein to hire as he sees fit. Time will tell.

I am encouraged for the upcoming season but still feel that the board took much too long in making this decision and should be held accountable to explain why.

Regardless, I am sure it will be a "spirited" AGM in August.

Quote Originally Posted by doc64 View Post
    who the board hired if that logic is true RYLAH? If the shareholders and ticket holders were trying to send a message in the playoffs etc, what were they doing the year before. I believe attendance was poor in the first two rounds of the run to the final.

I hope the board has hired the right person to get this team going again and considering the relationship the Sutter's have with Preston, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see him get a position with him if the board was being truthful when they said the new G.M. would have free rein to hire as he sees fit. Time will tell.

I am encouraged for the upcoming season but still feel that the board took much too long in making this decision and should be held accountable to explain why.

Regardless, I am sure it will be a "spirited" AGM in August.
    It wasn't sold out during the first two rounds of the previous year but there were more butts in the seats and it was a loud building. This past playoffs the building was empty and quiet. Which was odd since they were putting up strong attendance figures right before the playoffs. It was like the playoffs and regular season were reversed in importance to the fans.
    RYLAH = Rocked You Like A Hurricane

Quote Originally Posted by Big Torro View Post
    I would think a lot of the attendance had to do with the first round was broadcast on Shaw and people could sit home in their living room and watch rather than put out their cash to take the family to the game. The second round they lost the first 2 in Calgary and came home down 2 games to a team they had not beaten all year and was # 1 in the league if not the country at the time.
    If so, then its weak excuses on their part. Its playoff hockey for goodness sakes!

What an underwhelming choice. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the incompetence that the board has consistently shown but I guess I thought we might get someone who was remotely qualified for the job.

Instead we get a career NHL asst. coach with two years of WHL coaching, 0 years as a GM anywhere, who has been out of the league for 12 years.

What has Preston done since he was in Regina to show that he has any ability to be a GM?

What has he done since then to show that he has the ability to be a WHL coach?

Since they board did a good job of not letting it known who was in the running I guess he could have been the best choice but really if he was the best option I think that says a lot about how terrible the board was that there wasn't a qualified guy that they had to choose from.

BugsBunny Guest

The major candidates for the job according to my source, were Perry Pearn who signed with Montreal, Dave Barr who signed with Minnesota, Marc Habschied who went to work Chilliwack who is owned by some of his NHL buddies, Rich Preston who gets the job and Rich Sutter. Seems to me that they had a very good list of candidates. Rich Preston does have more qualifications than Rich Sutter. Did the board have to go public with the candidates names? Maybe, but there was only one candidate who went on a campaign to get the job. The rest stayed quiet. The board did also in order to respect the requested privacy of the candidates.

I don't think the board would have a legal right to disclose the names of the applicants due to FOIP. It is no different than you or I applying for a job at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart can't put an ad in the paper, or go on record with a reporter saying they received applications from BugsBunny, moon, RYLAH and Big Torro for the position of mop pusher. Yes, the nature of the jobs are different, but FOIP would still govern in both cases.

BugsBunny Guest

Sorry RYLAH but I did not apply for the GM''s job. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by doc64 View Post
    Brian W. stated at the shareholders meeting last month that the board does not tell the GM who to hire. However, he also said "the board does reserve the right to veto his choice if they feel it is warranted to do so." In other words, they don't pick them but they can stop them from being hired, which makes sense to me. Therefor if the board does not want Sutter, he won't be hired.

Why would a GM hire someone the board does not want. All that will accomplish is to start the gong show all over again.vc124
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    Brian W. stated at the shareholders meeting last month that the board does not tell the GM who to hire. However, he also said "the board does reserve the right to veto his choice if they feel it is warranted to do so." In other words, they don't pick them but they can stop them from being hired, which makes sense to me. Therefor if the board does not want Sutter, he won't be hired.

Why would a GM hire someone the board does not want. All that will accomplish is to start the gong show all over again.vc124
    Has the gong show really stopped? It will go into a slow time, but there will always be something popping up as long as the current board structure is still in place. We'll see what happens at the AGM, but I'm not so certain all the current board members and structure will exist much longer.

Default What are the options?

Quote Originally Posted by RYLAH View Post
    Has the gong show really stopped? It will go into a slow time, but there will always be something popping up as long as the current board structure is still in place. We'll see what happens at the AGM, but I'm not so certain all the current board members and structure will exist much longer.
    I am interested in eveyone's thoughts on this. Maybe it should have it's own thread, I am not sure.

The board structure seems to be a point of contention with many people who were at the Elks hall meeting and I am wondering what the right number would be. That is if the number is the problem. Many believe 15 is too many while others believe that making it smaller will only allow strong agendas to pass more easily. It would be easier to secure 5 votes out of 9 rather than 8 votes out of 15 etc.

What else about the structure is a problem? What structure would be better?

Just think this is something worth discussing.