Thread: Expectations?

Default Expectations?

Just out of curiosity, where do you guys see the Hitmen next season.. top of the division or middle of the conference, struggling for a playoff spot or where?

I think there are enough returning forwards plus Marty Jones that we are probably in the middle of the pack. The blue line has taken a huge blow with Seabrook, Plante and likely Postma all graduated.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmen1 View Post
    I think there are enough returning forwards plus Marty Jones that we are probably in the middle of the pack. The blue line has taken a huge blow with Seabrook, Plante and likely Postma all graduated.
    I would be really surprised if Postma came back to Calgary. He had an outstanding season last year with the points he racked up. He really has nothing more to prove in Junior. There was rumours floating that he could possibly end up with the big club in Atlanta for a few games to start the year. Talk about a steal of a draft pick, he was a 7th rounder almost going completely un-drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Allin44 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where do you guys see the Hitmen next season.. top of the division or middle of the conference, struggling for a playoff spot or where?
    I think they'll be in the #4 to #7 area in the Eastern conference.

The Central division is actually really hard to call at this point, I don't think there is a single team that everyone will point at and say "they're going to be #1", or "they're going to miss the playoffs".

Me, I think Lethbridge is going to have a tough year but I can't look at the rosters of Calgary (good offence and goaltending, questionable blueline), Kootenay (good top line guys but depth is thin everywhere), Medicine Hat (same as the Ice), or Red Deer (too much good 16-18 year old talent not to take a big step forward this year) and pick a winner there. Edmonton will be better as well, a playoff team for sure I think although tops in the division is probably too much for them yet.

It's easier in the East division where Brandon should easily win it, although Saskatoon will be close behind them. I like Swift Current's roster too, provided they find a consistent goaltender. And Moose Jaw will have a big turnaround from last season's point total.

I know this doesn't really answer your question. The Central is just really hard to call this year, I think.

so uhh.. wanna trade us Jones then? May as well rebuild this year..

Quote Originally Posted by Allin44 View Post
    so uhh.. wanna trade us Jones then? May as well rebuild this year..
    I can't recall a season where Kisio made big moves for next year. 2002-03, when he traded Owen Fussey and Wade Davis at the deadline, was probably the closest thing. Otherwise, Kisio has always been the kind of G.M. who prefers to stick with his players even when the team isn't a contender.

So, hard to say....I would certainly think that come December/January, if the Hitmen are languishing at #7 or #8 or even lower in the East standings, then there would be a lot of interest from other teams in acquiring players like Jones, Schultz, and Stone - the star players who aren't likely going to be back as overagers in 2010-11. As a fan I would certainly be very interested in trading any or all of those guys if our season is going nowhere....whether Kisio is willing to do that though is another story.

Worth noting is that the 2010 bantam draft is projected to be a bumper crop; the 1995-born group in Western Canada is probably the best since the 1985's which produced tons of great, great players. So if there ever was a year to rebuild and try to acquire a bunch of high draft picks, this is the year to do it. Being able to pick up some extra 2nd, 3rd, or even 1st round picks in the 2010 draft is potentially going to pay big dividends 3, 4 years down the road. So there's some added incentive there to rebuild this year perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    I can't recall a season where Kisio made big moves for next year. 2002-03, when he traded Owen Fussey and Wade Davis at the deadline, was probably the closest thing. Otherwise, Kisio has always been the kind of G.M. who prefers to stick with his players even when the team isn't a contender.

So, hard to say....I would certainly think that come December/January, if the Hitmen are languishing at #7 or #8 or even lower in the East standings, then there would be a lot of interest from other teams in acquiring players like Jones, Schultz, and Stone - the star players who aren't likely going to be back as overagers in 2010-11. As a fan I would certainly be very interested in trading any or all of those guys if our season is going nowhere....whether Kisio is willing to do that though is another story.

Worth noting is that the 2010 bantam draft is projected to be a bumper crop; the 1995-born group in Western Canada is probably the best since the 1985's which produced tons of great, great players. So if there ever was a year to rebuild and try to acquire a bunch of high draft picks, this is the year to do it. Being able to pick up some extra 2nd, 3rd, or even 1st round picks in the 2010 draft is potentially going to pay big dividends 3, 4 years down the road. So there's some added incentive there to rebuild this year perhaps.
    God I feel old when you start talking about the 95s being compared to my draft year..