Thread: Ministry of Defence

Default Ministry of Defence

The cougars have done a great job in bringing in some strong forwards to work with Connelly, Viedensky and the returnng youth. Vlach, their first round pick in the import draft, is on the Czech U18 team, Alex Rodgers looks to be a solid pick up as a 20yr old forward, and the huge Jordan Lane 20yrs old(6'8", 250lbs) from the Qmjhl looks to be a legimate enforcer.
    What about the defensive end?
    In goal they have another 20yr old in Caligiuri, which gives them 5 20yr old players total going into camp, so it looks like they will make a trade for a 19 year old goalie with WHL experience, if there are any out there!!.
    On defense it looks very thin...
    Jackson returns as a 20yr old, but veteran Cody Hobbs has decided to go to the U. of Sask,
    Bidlevski is back as an 18yr old and Regier may, or may not, be back as an 18yr old,
    McDonald is back as a 17yr old.
    It leaves the Cougs with the need to fill 4 or 5 d spots this fall. With defense at a premium what will they have to pay for an experienced 19yr old d??

I think Caliguri will just end up playing in the MJHL for the Dauphin Kings. They are hosting the RBC Royal Bank Cup and his rights ar owned by them at this point. They have expressed lots of interest in him before and have said that if things dont work for him in Major Junior that there will be a spot open for him there. Joe has never been a premier #1 goaltender in the WHL. I like the kid alot, real nice kid and everything but just not an overly stunning goalie especially for an O.A.. This would be the best thing for him anyways, to be "that guy" and get some recogniton and see that spot light on him. I wish him the best

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonite View Post
    I think Caliguri will just end up playing in the MJHL for the Dauphin Kings. They are hosting the RBC Royal Bank Cup and his rights ar owned by them at this point. They have expressed lots of interest in him before and have said that if things dont work for him in Major Junior that there will be a spot open for him there. Joe has never been a premier #1 goaltender in the WHL. I like the kid alot, real nice kid and everything but just not an overly stunning goalie especially for an O.A.. This would be the best thing for him anyways, to be "that guy" and get some recogniton and see that spot light on him. I wish him the best
    Him and Sanfred King..

Quote Originally Posted by Allin44 View Post
    Him and Sanfred King..
    haha agreed

If you need defense Teacher you should trade for Mestery in Lethbridge, he might flourish up there. We will take Hirsche straight up. I saw him play midget last year, I guarantee with his leadership skill he should be your captain in 2 years.

Default Can't agree more

Hirsche looked good in Everett and will be a cougar for a long time! Surprisingly the defense did not look too bad, except for the hiccup against Portland when they gave up a ton of shots but they played with only four defense from the start of the 2nd period on ( one a 15yr old ) and had tons of penalty problems.
    This team will be young this season ( 1, 16yr old, 11, 17yr olds, 4, 18yr olds ) but looks to be much improved over the last few years.

Rogers is soft as melted butter, enjoy watching him avoiding physical contact at all costs - which might be okay if his scoring was where it was expected to be, but it wasn't even close.

I expect that kid, Connolly, will be a beast this season.. hell he was fun to watch last year.
    My Vancouver Giants focused Blog

A Shot From The Corner

http://giantshockey.wordpress.com/

I'm sure glad we got Thiessen back. He adds much needed experience to the back end. The first two games had Spokane walking around our D and our guys weren't doing the best job of clearing in front of the net but Thiessen gets right in there. Hopefully he can teach some of the younger guys because they do have potential.

Our goalie is solid so far and I actually have a good feeling about this season.