Waldner's World

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Broncos St. Albert Bound To Meet Pats; Oil Kings

The Broncos will hop on the bus and leave for Edmonton on Saturday morning to participate in the Oil Kings' third annual pre-season tournament.

-other teams that will participate include the Moose Jaw Warriors, Regina Pats, Medicine Hat Tigers, and Red Deer Rebels.

-the tournament, as has been the case the past couple of seasons, will take place at Servus Credit Union Place in St. Albert. It's a beautiful multi-purpose facility and besides the ice it includes a swimming pool and can accommodate basketball/soccer games.

-expect a few veterans like Derek Claffey, Justin Dowling, and Eric Doyle to sit for one game and play the other in St. Albert...this to allow room for young players and further evaluation by the coaches and head scout Jamie Porter.

-after F. Liam Darragh was released yesterday, the Broncos are left with 33 players on their roster....5 goaltenders, 10 defencemen, and 19 forwards.

-onlookers have suggested that practices the past couple of days have been extremely high tempo. Is that a trademark of HC/GM Mark Lamb's? One would think a coach who runs practices like that consecutively would shoot for the same thing in a real game situation.....maybe more. This could be exciting to watch!

-how well attended will the Regina Pats' three games be at this tournament? All indications are that Pats' sniper Jordan Eberle will be on the trip and taking part in game action. You have to think there will be quite a few Oiler fans sneaking in for a chance to see him play, given the anticipation of what he might become in the NHL and the fact that the Oilers drafted him so high in the draft a year ago. Should be interesting... The Pats' three game schedule this weekend will include a game versus the Oil Kings tonight, a meeting with the Tigers tomorrow, and of course the clash with the Broncos early Sunday afternoon.

WANDERING.....

*I'm planning a trip to Alberta myself this weekend and am leaving later today with stops in Red Deer, Edmonton and perhaps Calgary. It will be a lot of fun to visit friends...especially the ones in Red Deer that I haven't seen for the longest time.

*the eventuality of the whole thing will be my attendance at both the Bronco games taking place. I've made it a ritual to attend the Edmonton pre-season tourney the past two years, and couldn't really resist the urge this time around. It's a loooong drive there and back, but all in all, it usually turns out to be a really fun filled weekend with lots of visiting, and lots of hockey.

*it looks really scrumptious up there doesn't it? Believe it or not, I can't help but look forward to the soft ice cream at Servus Credit Union Place in St. Albert...and I hope they don't ever close that particular concession stand. They make the BEST cones I've ever had!

*look for score updates, Bronco game recaps, and some random pictures from the Edmonton tourney right here on the blog: www.erniewaldner.com.

Have a splendid Friday!

www.erniewaldner.com

Scout