Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CHL players union ?

Iconcup

My 2 nephews only got up to the Intercity house league and it was costing $5000.00/yearly per each in 1981 - 1983 !! And that was no extra skating or hockey schools to increase the chances!!

Default Costs

Well in order for a kid to even get drafted or listed at 15 the parents have all ready spent well over 5000/ yr for 8- 10 years, others well over 10,000/yr. Once they move to a billet they need money the live, a car, insurance, etc... Try paying for your 16 yr old's car insurance in Spokane. Any sort of part time job is out of the question, so there is no way to save money for university, it needs to be covered somehow. Nearly all these boys come from affluent families to begin with however that should not be a factor when it comes to their personal finances .

I have no idea what it costs a family to have a kid in the WHL but I dont know if it would be as much as some are making it out to be.

The team pays for room and board for the player, team pays for all meals & hotel accomidations on the road, players equipment, players get there weekly cash, which im sure covers there gas to & from practise/team meetings. These kids are on curfew remember, after school they have practise til around supper time, go home for supper, study as there grades have to be up to par. Remember these kids are in these cities for 1 thing & 1 thing only & thats hockey. Yes they will go out to movies, & such like a normal teenager does but these kids are watched closely by the teams.

So really what does the parents have to pay???? Im thinking not a heck of alot besides some extra spending cash, but im sure alot of these kids take on summer jobs & save money for there up coming season in the WHL. These kids rnt too dumb they have a goal which is to play in the NHL even tho alot of these kids will never see a NHL camp it is still there goal.

Oh and the university these kids get for playing in the WHL/CHL is a great compensation for the parents. I mean even if the parents do have to put out some cash to there kids im sure its still alot cheaper then paying for 2 ta 4 years of university

When these "kids" arent playing games, they are practicing daily, studying etc. I know in Brandon they can bowl for free, go to movies for free, eat at various restaurants for free etc.

They pay no room and board, no meals etc and still get an allowance and per diem.

They get scholorships for every year they play.

If you have an 18 year old kid living at home, you are paying groceries, the extra utilities, and 5-10K a year for hockey..

Parents should be able to subsidize a couple hundred bucks a month for their kid if the kid needs it.

Yes i totally agree... you look at these kids & there families by no means are these families in need of money. They pay alot of money to have there kid playing in the most elite hockey during the peewee, bantam & midget ages to get there kid noticed. To give there son alittle cash during there WHL season i am sure its not that hard to do for them.

There are alot of really good hockey players out there whos parents just couldnt afford to put them in AAA hockey. A friend of mine his cousin was a exceptional hockey player Norm Johnston (coach of the Pat Candians) wanted him to play on the team this year as a 1st or 2nd liner but his family was unable to come up with the money needed for him to play. I guess it just goes to show you that when you have money you get the opportunities that others cant afford, with no barring if your a talented player or not.

Sadly this kid will never get a shot at a WHL roster just due to his family not being able to afford to get there kid noticed. WHL scouts dont waste there time looking at a house league player. They hardly waste there time looking at AA hockey games. Theres alot of things that play into it as well, kids want to play with there friends instead of there highest level of skill. Alot of these AAA coaches have some big egos, like there the next big thing but really they work a 9-5 job just like everyone else involved in minor hockey. Players dont want to play for certain coaches, parents not wanting there kid assoicated with this coach ect.