Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Regular Season 2014 - the first half

Default Regular Season 2014 - the first half

NHL preseason begins next Sunday. So NHL camps could be over by Wednesday or Thursday.

Assuming that Warner and Gardiner and Stewart are back for the weekend, then we'll have 16 forwards (only 15 can play if Lange suits up) and 9 d-men...I'm assuming Josh stays in Winnipeg for now.

By Oct 16th we need to lose a 20yo so we could easily carry 15 forwards until then. Pruden, Montgomery and Williamson are on the bubble right now unless we lose a forward through a trade. Williamson has shown the most improvement since camp, so he will likely stay. Montgomery is a little small. Pruden is a year older and is bigger. A decision here might be put off until Vanstone recovers, though.

Defense is a hard call, since Coghlin kept improving as the preseason developed. It's been a long time since the team has looked this deep at D at this point in the season. Verrall is likely the first casualty, there. Carrying 8 d-men in case of injury or a trade is not unrealistic at this point.

I don't expect that McBride's record will be 0.833 like it was in the preseason but we have a good chance to be over 500 on November 1.

-Wapitikev

Default Congratulations to Warner and Stewart!

Getting to stay for main camp is great news for Warner and Stewart!

Good news for Ben Verrall as well.

Suspected Josh would stay and Reid would be back.

All the best to Pruden...obviously developing Montgomery and Williamson was the decision.

Looking forward to Friday night.

-Wapitikev

Vancouver does not play their first pre-season game until Tuesday...their main camp begins on Friday and runs until Monday.

Minnesota camp begins Friday and presumably goes until Sunday...they play their first pre-season game on Monday.

-Wapitikev

Default Our questionable defense is better than yours is

Tonight will be an interesting game.

Last night our pourous defense was better than their really bad defense.

Was the ice that bad or were all the Raiders' skates too dull. Plus the puck wouldn't stay on anyone's stick.

Roach had some bad luck last night...but also bounced back immediately after each incident with good passes and decisions...good to see that the coaches have that kind of confidence in him.

Hope Warner and Stewart are back against the Pats next Saturday, though.

Save% took a hit but St. Nick got the win with some good saves late in the game.

-Wapitikev

I think Nick played well . He's in position and making himself big . The same thing his goalie coach did all his career . The defence as. Whole had a strong game considering 3 of our top 4 guys on the back endn are still at camp. Riddle and Roach both look like they Will be good. Also very nice to see Gardiner scoring
    Last edited by Sttop; 09-20-2014 at 06:49 PM.

I have been impressed with the progression of some of the young players since last year . zaharachuk , gardiner , guhle , Riddle , Anderlik , and Quinney have impressed me from where they were last year .

Quote Originally Posted by Sttop View Post
    I have been impressed with the progression of some of the young players since last year . zaharachuk , gardiner , guhle , Riddle , Anderlik , and Quinney have impressed me from where they were last year .
    Careful, Stopp...your getting dangerously close to suggesting that the Raiders are developing and properly using the talent of their players...something that most of the usual suspects here deny is even remotely possible.

Heh.

Genarro showed he was improving before his minutes were cut back when the 20yos re-entered the lineup. And, surprising even to myself, I would suggest that Coghlin is playing better hockey this season than I've ever seen him play.

However, Roach looks just as good as a raw rookie and, at 2 years younger, he may have more long-term upside if you develop him, instead.

When (if) Warner and Stewart return, both Coghlin and Roach could both stay, if we decide to carry 8 d-men.

Its still way too early, though. Looking good against Saskatoon and Regina is a long way from looking good against Calgary, Edmonton or even Brandon.

Most of the players you mentioned, as well as Coghlin, put streaks together last season where they showed the level of talent that they are displaying now...lets hope that they can play at this level all season.

-Wapitikev

Default Quality of competition in the 1st 1/4 season

The schedule until November 5th looks kind to the team:

Regina x2
    Moose Jaw x3
    Saskatoon x4 (2 wins already)
    Lethbridge x2
    Kooteney x2
    Red Deer x1
    Edmonton x1
    Tri-City x1
    Portland x1
    Calgary x1

...a huge number of Division match-ups in that list.

While some of those games might look win-able on paper, a winning record now could prove crucial in March. Last season's dismal effort against Moose Jaw cannot be repeated, for instance.

It's not inconceivable that the team could finish over 0.600 with perhaps 22 points in the first 1/4.

The 2nd 1/4 season schedule looks considerably tougher, so here's hoping that the players can progress enough in the 1st 1/4 to meet the challenges that the 2nd 1/4 season will pose.

-Wapitikev

Default Hunter Warner listed on the Wild's pre-season roster...but

Hunter Warner did not play tonight in Winnipeg and head coach Mike Yeo hinted in interviews that he will be playing more veterans beginning Saturday so that the team can get off to a better start to the regular season than last year.

That may not bode well for Warner. I hope he gets into the game in Pittsburgh on Thursday. It would be cool if he gets to play against Ruopp (he's on the Penguins pre-season roster)

...after that we would gladly welcome Warner back to PA for the Saturday night game.

-Wapitikev

Default Welcome back, Mackenzie Stewart!

blogs.theprovince.com announced at 2pm this afternoon that McKenzie Stewart was one of three Canuck prospects returned to junior at the end of main camp.

The article goes on to say that only 2 19yos remain on the the Canuck's pre-season roster (Horvat and Subban). The rest are expected to either make the squad or play in the AHL this season.

-Wapitikev