Thread: The Chiefs still have a ways to go

Default The Chiefs still have a ways to go

If the last 2 games proven anything it's that this team can't just show up and expect to win every night. They are going to have to work for it which is something they had trouble with at times last year too. I think winning easily against Tri-City last weekend went to the players' heads a little bit as they got the favor repaid down in Tri tonight. Both Tri-City and Portland are very good teams and they are going to be there at the top for the rest of the season, it's up to Spokane to decide if they want to be up there with them. They won't be if they keep playing like they did this weekend.

There's been some disturbing trends so far this season that haven't been going away. The penalty issue still seems to be a problem. The Chiefs are taking way too many penalties. In addition, the Chiefs have allowed the first goal in all 5 games so far this season, all of which have come in the first 7 minutes of the game. Playing from behind with the offense the Chiefs has is not going to get it done. While getting Beach was a nice pickup for the offense, I'm still not sure if it's enough. The Chiefs still really only have one line that scores consistently. I almost wonder if the Chiefs are going to need to pick up another forward if they want to be real contenders this year, but I think that's something that can be addressed down the road if needed.

I've only seen one game in person so far this year, but I've listened to every game and I think it's time to give Martin some more time in goal. I'm not sure what's been up with Reid this year, but he sounds like he's been half the goalie that he was last season. I still think he's going to get things turned around, but I also think he needs some sort of wake up call. He's just not getting it done so far this year.

Frustrating 2 games this weekend, but it's only 2. 67 more to go. Anyone else have any thoughts on the season so far?

Quote Originally Posted by LifelongChiefsFan View Post
    If the last 2 games proven anything it's that this team can't just show up and expect to win every night. They are going to have to work for it which is something they had trouble with at times last year too. I think winning easily against Tri-City last weekend went to the players' heads a little bit as they got the favor repaid down in Tri tonight. Both Tri-City and Portland are very good teams and they are going to be there at the top for the rest of the season, it's up to Spokane to decide if they want to be up there with them. They won't be if they keep playing like they did this weekend.

There's been some disturbing trends so far this season that haven't been going away. The penalty issue still seems to be a problem. The Chiefs are taking way too many penalties. In addition, the Chiefs have allowed the first goal in all 5 games so far this season, all of which have come in the first 7 minutes of the game. Playing from behind with the offense the Chiefs has is not going to get it done. While getting Beach was a nice pickup for the offense, I'm still not sure if it's enough. The Chiefs still really only have one line that scores consistently. I almost wonder if the Chiefs are going to need to pick up another forward if they want to be real contenders this year, but I think that's something that can be addressed down the road if needed.

I've only seen one game in person so far this year, but I've listened to every game and I think it's time to give Martin some more time in goal. I'm not sure what's been up with Reid this year, but he sounds like he's been half the goalie that he was last season. I still think he's going to get things turned around, but I also think he needs some sort of wake up call. He's just not getting it done so far this year.

Frustrating 2 games this weekend, but it's only 2. 67 more to go. Anyone else have any thoughts on the season so far?
    Weird....I was going to come on here and write almost exactly the same things that you pointed out. So in other words . I 100% agree on all accounts. I've had the feeling that they need to get another top 6 forward since they got Beach. They still need a little more scoring punch imo , and I think adding another scorer would give them 3 pretty good lines. And Reid has just been a ball of nerves out there. I don't feel comfortable at all with him in net right now.Granted the defence hasn't exactly been stifeling. I gotta say Martin looked pretty solid after Reid was pulled last night. They should give him a couple starts to get a better look at him. The penalties are driving me crazy too, like last night ( right after Tri scored their 1st powerplay goal) Donaghy comes off the bench and takes an elbowing penalty. You would think after they just allowed a powerplay goal , the last thing they would want to do is come out and take a blatant penalty. But that has been the trend so far this season with the whole team. I don't know , maybe I got my hopes up after the way they played in the home opener and I'm just expecting too much. We'll have to hope they can turn this around and play a much more well rounded , solid effort type game from here on out eh? vc124

I'm not overly concerned with Reid or the defense yet...Once Baldwin and especially Spurgeon get back they should be fine. My concern is secondary scoring. The Chiefs have 2 goals total from Forwards other than Beach, Johnson, Wahl and Koper and that just isn't going to get it done. Saskatoon has to get rid of an OA and it seems Wintoneak is on the block. Assuming the price isn't too high this seems like a good start (3rd round pick?). Bardaro coming back should help as he was very impressive in camp and especially the Red-White game.

try a different goalie ... then we can evaluate the needs at other positions ... Reid was terrible against PDX on Friday ... they were just waiting for the rebounds to pounce on them and put them in the back of the net IMO ... I have seen Reid play much better, they just have to find a way to get him to that place

I don't have too much to comment on from last night's game but I will say a few things. First off, TC has got to be taken out of the lineup. I'm sorry, but the only thing he is good for right now is possibly taking a ridiculous penalty. 2 home games against Tri, 2 times he's put Spokane shorthanded for 5 minutes. That's beyond ridiculous. I don't know why he is so intent on fighting Schmidt, but they just need to put a stop to that. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of tough hockey, but what he's doing is just stupid.

The Chiefs still look like they are playing their first game of the season a lot of the time. I'm hoping that the major reason for that is because they've played so few games so far this year. I keep waiting for improvement and I'm not seeing it. If anything it appears that they've regressed since the home opener. Sure the opponents have made the Chiefs look pretty bad at times too and if the opponent is just flat out better than Spokane, I can respect that, but the Chiefs are still making their fair share of unforced and silly errors too.

And finally, Kyle Beach, the guy everyone loves to hate. 7 points in 8 games. It's still too early to determine whether this trade was a success or not. But I'll be honest, after what I saw from him in the opener, I have to say I expected more. He was brought in for more. The top lines just aren't scoring enough and it's actually been the bottom 2 lines that are putting the puck in the net. Like I said it's still early, but at this point, with the leads Spokane has blown already this year, I'd rather have Reddington on the blue line right now.

So anyway, we'll see how the Chiefs respond now that they are going to start playing more games. I really do hope this isn't the peak of this year's Chiefs team. I have my questions about the coaching staff as well, but I'll reserve my thoughts on them for later on into the season.