By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News - October 28, 2009

When the Kelowna Rockets made Shane McColgan their first pick in the 2008 bantam draft, they had a hunch the young Californian would be a quick study in major junior hockey.

Fourteen games into his rookie season, the 5-foot-10 speedster has done everything and more to support his WHL team’s theory.

“He’s likely the most dynamic 16-year-old player we’ve ever had here,” said Rockets head scout and assistant GM Lorne Frey. “I think maybe some people are surprised at how quickly he’s adapted, but I think everybody knew what kind of player he was going to be. When we drafted him, he was the best prospect we’d seen in a long time and nothing has changed. He’s an exceptional talent he’s getting better and better.”

The Manhattan Beach, Calif., native has busted out of the gates in his first full WHL campaign and leads all rookies in scoring with 18 points on six goals and 12 assists.

In addition to his skating, play making ability and natural offensive talent, McColgan brings a fiery temperament to the ice and isn’t the least bit opposed to sticking his nose into uncomfortable situations.

Combine all of that with his pure passion for the game and head coach Ryan Huska said McColgan’s kind are few and far between.

“He’s excited every time he comes to the rink, you can just see how much he loves to play the game,” said Huska. “He can do things at high speeds and make the kinds of moves at top speed you just don’t see from a lot of players. He’s a fiery individual, too, that fits in with his character and the kind of player he is. I think having him around for our playoff run last year was important and he’s really come into this season ready to play and contribute.”

For McColgan to be flourishing in an environment where he finds himself competing against mostly older players is nothing new. Playing with the Los Angeles Junior Kings major midget team (18-and-under) as a 14/15-year-old, he tied for first in team scoring with 72 points. A season later he was second on the Kings with 83 points.

“Even when I was eight or nine, I was playing against guys three of four years older than me in lots of sports,” McColgan said. “Playing up at that level I think really helped me develop faster than the other kids my age and made me compete harder. It’s definitely helped me as a hockey player.”

In deciding to come to Kelowna and play major junior hockey over staying at home in the U.S. to pursue a college career, McColgan has chosen, what he believes, will be the quickest route to an NHL career.

And if all goes as planned, the 16-year-old right winger will be a first-round NHL pick in 2011.

But first things first as McColgan looks forward to a productive, if not long, junior career with the Kelowna Rockets.

“It’s been my dream for a long time to play hockey for a living and to come to Kelowna is a great step and opportunity for me,” he said. “It’s a great organization, I love the fans and the city, it’s a great place to play. I’d say I’m pretty happy with the things have gone so far.”

http://www.kelownarockets.com/hockey...2&section_id=1