Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kootenay vs Brandon

Default Kootenay vs Brandon

I just got back from the Ice/ Wheat King game and in all honesty am quite disappointed. Don't get me wrong I had fun like I do at all the games I attend a little worse of a game than normal but none the less still worth going to. Unless you have no idea what a hockey puck is you know that Brandon will host the 2010 memorial cup. No offence intended towards Brandon or its fans but if you guys are even going to attempt to make a game out of the tournament you have miles to go. Maybe it was an off night I don't know but Kootenay beat them in Brandon awhile ago 7-4 I think it was. As much as a fan of the Ice that I am lets face it they need a lot of work too.

Kootenay had their back up goalie in net with Todd Matthews who played an excellent game (when tested with shots). And De Serres played awesome for Brandon as well (when tested with shots not the ones shot directly at him). If these teams were playing hit the goalie tonight they would both be winners.

The passing was spectacular out there especially for the Ice I love how they mastered the art of being able to pass it right into their own team mates skates like they were purposely trying to put their own team mates in the hospital. Luckily the big Brandon defencemen were spending more time looking into the stands or up at the rafters to even notice a hockey game was going on. I should be a little nicer to the boys after all they did make some nice passes that were right on the tape of the sticks. Unfortunately those sticks belonged to Wheat King players.

On Kootenay's 1st goal it was in the first period on the power play I missed it because I was laughing too hard and paying attention to something else. An Ice defenceman kicked a Wheat Kings players stick out of the play when the Ice were on a Power Play in the Wheaties zone(should of been called ref missed that). The Wheat King instead of killing the penalty decided to try to pick up his stick out of the play and dropped it a few times like it was a stick of butter. Totally ignoring a play was going on Eliminating himself making it a 5 on 3. Then the Steele Boomer scored. Was it a nice goal? I don't know there is no instant replay at the rec plex and I was laughing to hard.

The Wheat Kings scored in the second also on a power play. The Ice made a bone head line change when they left a player all alone on the far side of the ice and he managed to pass the puck right into half the Ice team standing all on the ice making a line change like the whistle had blown at a pee wee hockey game. Then on the power play the Ice watched as Aaron LEWADNIUK stood in the slot like he was waiting in line for a carnival ride and scored while he was there.

The game then looked like whack a puck back and forth for awhile including a very obvious elbowing penalty from McNabb that made all the Ice fans boo like he did nothing wrong. Where the Ice were lucky and I mean very lucky is that the Wheaties didn't score on the PP. Then Schenn for the Wheaties (yeah amazing a top 5 NHL pick was playing in this game and I don't even mention him till now) Took an interference penalty with about 4 minutes left in the game. Schenn tried to play OJ to the ref saying he didn't do anything but sat in the box. Then Ice Captain Dustin Sylvester remembered he was in a hockey game and not at Disney Ice Capades and scored a beautiful wrist shot goal from the slot.

With just a little more than 2 minutes remaining instead of trying to score the Wheat Kings looked like they were thinking about what kind of pizza they were going to eat on the bus ride home and both teams finished up their public skating session.

The 3 star selection was bang on with both goalies and Steele Boomer. Honourable mention in my mind to the Ice's Brendan Hurley. Next to the goalies he seemed to be one of the only players on the Ice who even noticed or cared that a hockey game was going on. Pretty sad when the youngest player on the Ice is the one who looks the best.

If I was the coach of the Wheat Kings I would make the team walk home or drag them behind the bus and let the goalie drive. A team that big and with 2 first rounders should easily walk over the Ice.

But then again what do I know? Thats just my 2 cents.clrkthj
    Last edited by Reg Dunlop; 10-30-2009 at 11:12 PM.

That was the best review of a game i've ever read, thanks!!!!
    And it pretty much sums up our season so far!!!!
    Last edited by sbtatter; 10-30-2009 at 11:29 PM.
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I thought this was Hurleys best game yet, and was rewarded with some pp time late in the (tie) game. Hopefully this is the beggining for him. Great recap Reg.

Needless to say, no fans in Brandon are remotely happy how our team is playing this year. I am sick of hearing, "its still early"..

All-Time Favorite.

Can't comment on this game in Cranbrook, didn't buy the feed.

But the game here in Brandon was 7-2, not 7-4. The Wheaties starter in net that night was Ty Rimmer, a 17 y/o rookie playing his first WHL game, and it showed. He let in all 7, 3 were soft, and 2 of them were on odd man rushes. Also, Lieuwen (spelling?) played like a man posessed that game. It easily could have been a 7-6 game.

Not saying the Ice didn't deserve to win that game, and I'm not saying Brandon should have won either, just saying it was a closer game than the score stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Can't comment on this game in Cranbrook, didn't buy the feed.

But the game here in Brandon was 7-2, not 7-4. The Wheaties starter in net that night was Ty Rimmer, a 17 y/o rookie playing his first WHL game, and it showed. He let in all 7, 3 were soft, and 2 of them were on odd man rushes. Also, Lieuwen (spelling?) played like a man posessed that game. It easily could have been a 7-6 game.

Not saying the Ice didn't deserve to win that game, and I'm not saying Brandon should have won either, just saying it was a closer game than the score stated.
    To be honest though, the Ice outworked us really badly, so I thought the score reflected the effort both teams exerted.
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Also out of curiosity do any of you know where the Ice got the back up goalie from that was sitting on the bench last night? I wanted to go down and get a program to check but didn't want to wonder around the rec plex with a big wad of Copenhagen in my lip looking like I got two handed in the face Odds are it wouldn't of been in there anyway

I thought this was Hurleys best game yet, and was rewarded with some pp time late in the (tie) game. Hopefully this is the beggining for him.
    Surely agreed. Play like that at his age has franchise player written all over him when he hits 18. (Maybe being a little generous there) But I hope he keeps it up.

Needless to say, no fans in Brandon are remotely happy how our team is playing this year. I am sick of hearing, "its still early"..
    Eh its still early Seriously though I could imagine the frustration. The worst part is the Wheat Kings HAVE the tools and the team to be the best team in the league. That is what would be the most frustrating part. You guys play in about half an hour in Lethbridge. If last nights outing wasn't enough to get them motivated and pumped up to get a win out of one of the worst teams in the league with the Hurricanes I don't know what is. Mind you when I seen Lethbridge play it was the first game of the season here in Cranbrook. I think they were missing alot of their team and the Hurricanes didn't look like they wanted to play here. They got hammered 7-1 or 8-1 here.

Up next for the Ice tommorow is Seattle and I have not a clue what kind of a team they are. I have noticed that looks on paper in cases like Brandon can be misleading so I will go check out the game myself. Puck drops tommorow at 6pm. I am on the no beer wagon so I will chalk myself up nice and fresh with loads of Java and Copenhagenpunk rock

Go ICE

I think he was borrowed from the Kimberly Dynamiters JR B, but we are looking for a goalie as we don't know how long Nathan will be out of the line up.
    Scars are just tattoo's with better stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I think he was borrowed from the Kimberly Dynamiters JR B, but we are looking for a goalie as we don't know how long Nathan will be out of the line up.
    Yeah you are right we did get him from Kimberley.

Dynamiter Caldwell pulling double duty

Increase Decrease Reset Email Print Comments (0)
    October 30, 2009

Matt Coxford

Goaltender Tory Caldwell is going to have a busy weekend, with three games in three nights in two leagues.

Usually the Kimberley Dynamiters’ go-to guy, he’s also going to pull some emergency backup duty for the WHL Kootenay Ice this weekend.

He’ll be in the latter role tonight and Sunday, and will be in Kimberley on Saturday night to take on the Fernie Ghostriders in the KIJHL.

While Caldwell has been called up to the junior A ranks in the past, yesterday’s Kootenay practice was his first on-ice taste of major juniors.
    <snip>

http://www.dailytownsman.com/article...ng-double-duty

I guess some of your classier fans decided to sharpie the WKs bus