Thread: Mestery Returns

Default Mestery Returns

Americans, Hurricanes Arrange For Mestery's Return
    November 19, 2009

http://www.amshockey.com/news/article.src?ID=3670

Dan Mulhausen Tri-City Americans

KENNEWICK, WA - Tri-City Americans Governor/General Manager Bob Tory announced today that the team has traded for the rights to 19-year-old defenseman Eric Mestery from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for a 2nd round pick in the 2010 WHL Bantam Draft. The move increases Tri-City's roster to 25 players (15 forwards, 8 defensemen and 2 goaltenders).

Mestery, listed at 6'5 205 pounds, has appeared in 21 games for Lethbridge this season, tallying two goals, seven points and 21 penalty minutes. The trade marks the return of Mestery to Tri-City, who originally selected him with their first round pick (7th overall) in the 2005 Bantam Draft. The Winnipeg-native, who is seven games shy of 200 for his WHL career, has played 130 of those games with Tri-City, collecting six goals, 48 points, 146 penalty minutes and a plus-1 rating for his WHL career.

The Washington Capitals used their second round (57th overall) pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft to take Mestery, then a member of the Americans. Then, on November 5, 2008, Mestery and then-20-year-old Drew Hoff were sent to the Hurricanes in exchange for Mitch Fadden, Brock Sutherland and Cam Stevens.

"Eric was a valuable member of our team in our 2007-08 playoff run vs. Spokane and we wanted to add another defenseman with extensive playoff experience," Tory explained. "He is a solid citizen who is well liked by his teammates and will fit into our dressing room well. We look forward to Eric completing his WHL career where it started."

The Americans return to the ice this Friday, when they face-off against the Everett Silvertips. Game time is 7:05 p.m. at Toyota Center. Tickets are available through all Ticketmaster outlets, including the Toyota Center box office, all Fred Meyer outlets, or online at ticketmaster.com. Fans can also catch all the action live on NewsTalk 870 AM, starting with the Sterling Savings Bank Warm-up Show at 6:45 p.m.

Looks like there's been lots of movement by the Ams lately, but no superstars coming in, at least not yet. I was pretty surprised to see Tory trade Asuchak. Do you guys think that Tory has a major move up his sleeve?

I would have thought so but he just made a trade to acquire Kennedy from the Giants for the draft pick that he got for trading Asuchak to Prince George. I don't see any "big" names coming, unless you count Mestery (I don't).

Well speaking of big deals, it is a big deal to get Mystery... out of Lethbridge he did nothing but warm a seat in the dressing room for an entire season and half. Thanks guys

Default Mestery's play has been really good so far.

And I say really good because for us AM's fans the bar was set very low when we heard he was returning. He's not doing anything fancy (which he shouldn't do), he's just making smart, low risk plays up the boards and using his reach to break up passes. And really that's all we need him to do. We don't need him to be physical or score a lot goals, just keep the puck out of our net. So far so good.

I'm sure the expectation were way too high when he was traded to Leth. You guys were bringing in a big defenseman who was drafted in the 2nd round and trading an offensive phenom in Fadden to get him. Based on what you were giving up, I'm sure you guys thought you were getting a top pairing defenseman and that's just not him. At least so far in his career.

Default still makes a person wonder.................

tory giving up a 6th round for castro then a 2nd for mestery imo those were pretty high prices for what you got.....it makes me wonder if favor is maybe trying to be gained for sbisa when and if that day comes or if there is something in place aready between the ams and canes, just like portland and swift.................just a thought............
    GO CANES GO.................