Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitmen at the deadline

Default Hitmen at the deadline

With the deadline just a few days away I thought I would try to figure what Kelly Kisio may or may not do. Personally, Kisio is really stuck in the middle as we head towards Sunday's deadline. The Hitmen are probably one or 2 players from really being able to compete with the Blades, Wheaties, and even the Tigers but he also realizes that the Wheaties are probably not done and will be willing to overpay for more players as they host the Memorial Cup.

Here are some of the current Hitmen kids who could find themselves on a new team before or on Sunday:

Jessi Hilton-he has only played in 10 games this season because of a knee injury.

Justin Kirsch-I actually really like the kid, he has had numerous chances to find the back of the net but hasn't been able to do so.

John Lawrance-another one of these 17 year old forwards who is in and out of the lineup.

Mackenzie Royer-Royer hasn't really developed how I think the Hitmen expected him too. Frequently this year Williamson has dressed 7 defenceman instead of getting Royer back in on the forth line.

Jaynen Rissling/Peter Kosterman-the 2 16 year old rookie defencemen. They usually rotate between games which I think is hurting their development. I would be very surprised to see them traded but if the cost remains high, the Hitmen may have to give one of them up.

Chase Komistek-Chase wasn't happy about not making the team and now appears to be hurt. I am not sure how much value he has but I could see Chase being moved.

As for vets who could be on the move:

Kris Foucault-Kris has been a healthy scratch several times this season and really hasn't produced like he did last year, now part of that is because he has found himself on the 4th line due to his poor work ethic but the puck just isn't going in the net like it did last year. I'm not sure how much value Kris would have though.

Cody Beach/Cody Sylvester-I hope Kisio holds on to these 2, I like the way they are coming around. But again, Kisio maybe forced to give one up.

Hitmen Needs:

I think it is very clear that they need another big strong defenseman. Currently they have Stone, Madaisky, MacKenzie, Nyren, Aschim, Wilson, and the kids.

If the Hitmen decide to make a serious run in the playoffs then they also need another top 6 forward, if they are unable to find one, a top 9 forward is a must.

The Hitmen have an open Euro spot, which is why Sbisa makes sense in my opinion. With the injury at the world juniors, and being named to the olympic team, I would think the price would come down but would the Canes trade within the division. I can also see a player like Tyler Shattock being acquired. Shattock is 19 and could play on the 2nd or 3rd line, he does have 21 goals and 48 points this season.

The main problem leading up to the deadline is that there are very few teams completely out of the race. Lethbridge has already unloaded most of their older/wanted players, Edmonton will probably move another player or 2, including Tomas Vincour. Regina is an interesting team because they made some trades that looked like they were going to make a run at a playoff spot but that hasn't worked out very well for them. Teubert and Eberle would be getting all kinds of interest. Out west, Prince George only has a few interesting players which includes overage defenceman Dallas Jackson. Seattle is 7 points out of a playoff spot. Prab Rai could be on the move.

I think if any team is going to give up something they
    will probably ask for Beach and/or Silvester..I hope
    we can keep those 2 players,Kosterman could be another
    guy someone would want but doubt if anyone would want
    Lawrence or Royer...I would probably keep Foucoult(sp)..

Yeah no question, if Kisio is to add a major player it is going to cost him one of the good young kids which is too bad.

Part of the problem this year is that they have been carrying all these kids and most night have 4 or 5 kids sitting in the press box. Having the young kids upstairs has hurt their development particularly the 2 16 year old defencemen.

Icon32

The one player whose progress has seemed to stall is Royer. I has high expectation of him but he seems stuck on the 4th or 5th line. Agree with the assesmant of Hitmen1 on the players and I would include Foucault on the trade bait. He hasn't played more than 10 good games all year despite being put on Kozun's and/or Broda's line. I' expecting a big trade with Lethbridge with Sbisa & Bancks coming here for a couple of the 17 forwards (Royer & Kirsch) plus conditional draft pick. Tough to gauge how much Canes will get for Sbisa as the teams that fit his situation is limited (Euro opening, playoff only). And another 2 for 1 mightbe in the works (Foucault & Aschim for Stretch ?). Carrying 25 players this long was a mistake. Another player that might come into play is 17 yr old dman, Carter Berg. He could be thrown in or recalled if a couple of the other dman gets traded. He did play all last year in the WHL so he knows the league and could be a depth man.

any thought if Kisio would trade one of your goalies for some more scoring?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatie Pete View Post
    any thought if Kisio would trade one of your goalies for some more scoring?
    I doubt it. The only goalie that would get moved is Chase Komistek. Jones is the clear cut #1 for the rest of this season, is not likely back next year as an overager so that would leave Michael Snider as the #1 next year.

Trade Rumor

From Greg Drinnan's blog:
    What I can tell you is that the Kamloops Blazers will be sellers, if the marketplace allows them to make some moves.
    For starters, Bonner is believed to have been in heated talks with the Calgary Hitmen and Spokane Chiefs. Stay tuned . . .
    My guess would be Tyler Shattock, full article is right here.

Interesting to see that both Lawrence and Hilton are no longer on the Hitmen roster at hitmenhockey.com.

More than likely they have been reassigned.

Greg Drinnan brought up another name, Jimmy Bubnick. I believe he would be a 19 year old next season and scored 25 goals last season and is closing in on 20 again this season.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/

madiasky going????