Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Pats make the playoffs now they kept Eberle and Teubert?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk I must be missing something, but what do you mean by the magic number being 23?
    HURRICANE'S ROCK Quote:
    Originally Posted by blerbtalksc
    The magic number is 23 and they have 2 teams to pass. Should be interesting.

Please explain how you got this number. Are you using a combination of Pat's losses and some one elses, say Red Deer wins? Also what about the 3 pt games?

Pat's make the playoffs........Not this year! Too many 3 point games in the league and they need to catch and pass 2, not just 1 team.

Firstly I only did the magic number thing this early as a joke because it there is too much season left and the separation between playoff and non playoff teams is too small. Secondly the three point games put a wrinkle in that cannot be accounted for until the result is in, that's why it works better in baseball and basketball where there are no ties.

6 MJ GP-44 W-24 L-15 OTL-2 SL-3 Pts-53
    7 RD GP-46 W-24 L-18 OTL-0 SL-4 Pts-52
    8 PA GP-48 W-24 L-21 OTL-1 SL-2 Pts-51
    9 SC GP-47 W-24 L-21 OTL-0 SL-2 Pts-50
    10 Reg GP-48 W-20 L-24 OTL-3 SL-1 Pts-44

Hypothetically, the maximum points the Pats can attain if they win all there remaining games (24), would be 92 points. In order for PA, who is 8th today, to finish ahead of Regina, they need to finish with 93 points. 93 minus the 51 they are at leaves 42 points or 21 wins, and that becomes the "magic number". The number goes down as the non playoff team's losses increase and the last playoff team's wins increases. The basic formula is: wins required by last playoff team to reach point level unattainable by non playoff team even if non playoff team wins all its games. Wins required is the magic number. Like I said earlier, it's easier to do with less games left and less teams involved and no 3 point games. Hope this answers any questions and if anyone else knows a better or clearer way to explain it, feel free.

On another note, very entertaining game last night for 5641 in attendance. Who's that number 7 on the Pats? Even with that Pats jersey on, that kid is worth the price of admission.

magic # now 17
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Magic # for PA in 8th spot vs Regina is now 16 (any combination of PA wins and Regina losses totaling 16 means Regina miss the playoffs)
    Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Default are you kidding me?

so the Pats didnt show up till the second period.Are you kidding me? Last nights game as is every game from here forward is a must win and there is no excuse to just not show up for a period or more.It is with that attitude that the white towel will soon be waved.It is just about time to call up some youngsters to get some seasoning for next year.Tonites game vs Red Deer can be seen nationwide on Sportsnet tonite.Hopefully all the beautiful people of Regina can make it to tonites game.(fat popcorn eating guys will be welcomed too)
    Last edited by west coast; 02-02-2010 at 10:49 PM.

1 loser point means the Magic # for PA in 8th spot vs Regina is still 16 (any combination of PA wins and Regina losses totaling 16 means Regina miss the playoffs), Pats cooling off a bit maybe?

I can see the headline on the newspaper now...

"Pats SOL again"

(double meaning)

a pretty solid effort by Pats -it will be good for the team to have a breather between games.The top guys on club must be exhausted .Hunt sure is playing his horses alot.I am not sure if Ashton and Eberle have to kill penalties in addition to pp time and double shifting.I thought Ketlo has been the difference lately .He is playing so well.The schedule doesnt get any easier for the Pats (are there any easy games in this league}

Quote Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
    Magic # for PA in 8th spot vs Regina is now 16 (any combination of PA wins and Regina losses totaling 16 means Regina miss the playoffs)
    Not if some of Regina's losses are in O/T, but I know what you mean.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    Not if some of Regina's losses are in O/T, but I know what you mean.
    Yeah I just base the magic # on 2 point games, serves the purpose for charting the Pats progress regarding Parkers HUGE gamble

Now the Warriors are in 8th place, the magic # is 15.......