Thread: PATS vs Rebels

Iconwhl PATS vs Rebels

Well for the 1st time all season Ketlo put together a very solid back to back night effort. He was not the reason we lost these last 2 games in a SO.

Eberle is playing way to much lately, this kid needs a rest. There is no need for him to be on the PK. Hunt plays favorites way to much, Eberle is so drained his routine plays have become a struggle for him just cuz he is so drained. We have some very solid players who can play in the PK role. Earlier this season Reider was matched with Mitchell and they worked very well together killing penalties. Mulder used to kill penalties as well. Eberle is going to block a shot on the PK and is going to break a ankle or get seriously hurt. Not the player we need out on the PK especially in the 1st two periods of the game. If were down by a goal in the 3rd by all means put him out there to try and push for a shorty.

Ashton has no luck the past few games around the net. Set up great tonight by Teubert (i believe it was) but shot the puck back towards the goalie for a very routine blocker save.

I dont know why Teubert was crying about his penalty to put the Pats down 2 men. That was the easiest call Papp made all night. Right infront of him & Teubert almost bear hugs him down to the ice, then whines about it.

Some nights i really question Hunt's coaching ability. There has bene nothing wrong with the Ashton/Weal/Eberle line just some tough luck around the net with some great goaltending. He goes and changes up the 1st line with Eberle with 2 guys who cant keep up. Leffler all he does it pass the puck to Eberle, which normally isnt a bad thing to do but when the guy has 2 guys all over him that means you (Leffler) should have room to skate. Dont pass it to Eberle just to have him turn the puck over.

I thought the boys just looked tired last night.

Considering that they have so many games in the next 10 days or so, you would think that more bodies would be used on special teams. I agree that Eberle and Weal shouldn't be used on the PK that much. In Novemeber Mulder was doing PK and now he isn't used at all. Mappin could be used as well. And I thought that Gustafsson excelled when he was used in Eberle's absence.

I thought that Tuebert had every right to complain. It was a weak penality at best. I do however think that it was a penality, but I also thought that Ferraro should have been called for diving. Either Ferraro is the weakest skater in the WHL or Tuebert is the strongest player in WHL.

I hope that Gustafsson is OK. It sure didn't look good.

I was thinking that the rational of moving Eberle to skate with Leffler and Strueby was to insulate Eberle. Put him on with two big bodies that will crash. That might create some space for him. The trouble with that is Leffler didn't get the memo and Strueby can't skate well enough. It ticks me off to watch teams take liberities with Eberle and no one of the team seems to take exception. Twice, Leffler should have been in #7's face and challenging him.

I did like the Weal, Ashton, Mitchell line. Lots of speed. Hell, put Gustafsson on with Eberle, he shows more spunk than Leffler on most nights.

On a positive note. I really like Bell's game lately and they seem to be using him more. It would appear that he has moved up the depth chart to become the 5th d man. Moves the puck pretty well, his d zone coverage is better, and a couple of scraps the in the last week that he came out, in my opinion, the victor against older guys.

Quote Originally Posted by witness View Post
    I thought the boys just looked tired last night.
    Amen to that. By the end of the 2nd period Eberle and Weal looked like they had been bag skated for 2 hours.

Considering that they have so many games in the next 10 days or so, you would think that more bodies would be used on special teams. I agree that Eberle and Weal shouldn't be used on the PK that much. In Novemeber Mulder was doing PK and now he isn't used at all. Mappin could be used as well. And I thought that Gustafsson excelled when he was used in Eberle's absence.
    I agree with you totally. Mulder, Mappin, Mitchell, Orfino, etc. in my opinion should be the main minute guys killing penalties.

I thought that Tuebert had every right to complain. It was a weak penality at best. I do however think that it was a penality, but I also thought that Ferraro should have been called for diving. Either Ferraro is the weakest skater in the WHL or Tuebert is the strongest player in WHL.
    I wasn't happy about the call but.... Teubert did grab him and Ferraro did go down.... Most referees would call that no questions asked. Weak penalty but it was there.

I hope that Gustafsson is OK. It sure didn't look good.
    I was wondering what happened to him. I wasn't sure if it was an injury or if he blew out a skate blade. Mayer didn't look too concerned when Hampus went back to the bench. I haven't seen anything about an injury but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I was thinking that the rational of moving Eberle to skate with Leffler and Strueby was to insulate Eberle. Put him on with two big bodies that will crash. That might create some space for him. The trouble with that is Leffler didn't get the memo and Strueby can't skate well enough. It ticks me off to watch teams take liberities with Eberle and no one of the team seems to take exception. Twice, Leffler should have been in #7's face and challenging him.
    Amen.

On a positive note. I really like Bell's game lately and they seem to be using him more. It would appear that he has moved up the depth chart to become the 5th d man. Moves the puck pretty well, his d zone coverage is better, and a couple of scraps the in the last week that he came out, in my opinion, the victor against older guys.
    He's really coming along. I think they should pair him with McColm for a few games so McColm can be a mentor type for him.... I think it would do him more good than harm.

Good assessments. Even though the team had a Jan playing close to .750 and has only lost one in regulation in the last ten, you can see them needing to pull it together and up another notch. They have able parts to do that, to keep the 7-2-1 type trend rolling in Feb. But 80% of the teams you face are damned decent. They are battling with that for sure. I think after 4 in 5 under that gun I'd be a little rattled.