Ams, Fever jerseys lost in Kennewick fire

By Kevin McCullen and Jeff Morrow, Herald staff writers

Fire claimed this house at 2015 S. Quincy Place in Kennewick on Saturday, March 6, 2010. Paula Ward, the owner, escaped through a window without injury. Officials reported that the fire appears to have been accidental, possibly caused by a space heater, but it is under investigation by the Kennewick Fire Department.

CLICK FOR MORE PHOTOS

KENNEWICK -- A Kennewick woman who does seamstress work for the Tri-City Fever and Tri-City Americans escaped serious injury early Saturday when a fire gutted her home.
But all of the Fever's home and away jerseys went up in the blaze. And the Ams' white jerseys also were destroyed.
Paula Ward, 64, climbed out a window to escape the fire in her home at 2015 S. Quincy Place. She was standing in the front yard, covered in a blanket provided by a neighbor, when Kennewick police officer Aaron Hamel arrived about 6:45 a.m., he said.
She did not require medical treatment and left with family members, Hamel said. Her husband, Bill, said she was doing fine.
The home, which had a brick exterior, was fully engulfed when units from the Kennewick Fire Department arrived and were able to prevent flames from spreading to adjoining homes, said Tom Rich, acting battalion chief. A unit from Benton Fire District 1 also assisted Kennewick firefighters.
But the home "is pretty much a total loss as far as contents go," Hamel said.
The fire appeared to be accidental and may have been sparked by a space heater, Hamel said. "When we asked her if she had any idea what might have started it, that was the only thing she could think of," he said.
Kennewick fire investigators will return to the boarded-up home Monday to begin an investigation, Rich said.
Fever owner Teri Carr said Southridge High School in Kennewick came to the team's rescue, offering the Suns' road white jerseys for Monday's season opener at Fairbanks, and most likely for the team's next road game at Billings on March 14.
"I sold all of my old road jerseys," Carr said.
Carr said she has her uniform maker scrambling to get the team new jerseys. The Fever's home opener is March 27 against Kent.
"When I got the call I thought they were joking," said Carr. "Worse things could happen. The best part is Paula is OK."
Tri-City Americans general manager Bob Tory agreed.
"It's always a tragedy when one's house is lost in a fire," he said. "Thankfully, Paula is OK. Possessions can be replaced."
Tory said the team may have to wear its road blue jerseys the rest of the season.
"We won't be able to get new ones," Tory said. "Reebok can't turn them out that quickly. The (Western Hockey League) office is aware of the situation and we should hear from them next week."
-- Herald staff writer Annie Fowler contributed to this report