Kamloops, BC - Craig Bonner, Vice President and General Manager of the Kamloops Blazers Hockey Club, is pleased to announce that the Club has signed Head Coach Guy Charron to a two year contract extension.

Charron took over the Blazers on November 23, 2009 and has since guided the team to a 21-19-0-3 record, including a spot in the 2010 WHL playoffs.

"Guy has improved our team in all facets over the last four months. He has brought good leadership, stability and most importantly a hard working attitude to our group of players," stated Bonner. "As an organization, we feel that Guy is more than capable of taking our hockey club to the next level and is the right ingredient for our team."

Charron, who hails from Verdun, QC, was a forward in the NHL for 12 seasons where he tallied 530 points - including 221 goals - over a 734 game career.

He has an extensive coaching background with 14 seasons as a Head and Assistant Coach In the National Hockey League; he most recently spent three seasons behind the bench of the Florida Panthers as an Assistant Coach from 2005-2008.

"It is obvious when we brought Guy in that he was well regarded in the industry and had considerable experience coaching hockey at the highest level in the NHL," explained Bonner. "Guy's extensive knowledge and ability to get the most out of his players has been demonstrated."

Charron also coached the Canadian National Team in the 1980s with the renowned Dave King, including coaching the 1988 Canada Men's Olympic Team. Charron was also the Head Coach for the Canadian World Junior Team that captured a gold medal in 1990 with the likes of Eric Lindros, Mike Ricci and Kris Draper.

"My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed the city of Kamloops during our time here. Our players have improved, and we have started becoming a more aggressive team that focuses on puck possession while at the same time, still having a strong commitment to team defense," said Charron. "I am excited to continue what we have started and believe that we are pointed in the right direction for success."

The hockey club has two games remaining including a home date Friday night versus the Prince George Cougars. Friday is the last home game of the season and is also Fan Appreciation Night. The Blazers conclude their 2009-10 regular season in Vancouver on Saturday night.