Thread: Next Year

Default Next Year

What's in store for us next season? Who will be our twenty year olds? Will Ortio play here? What about Richardson? Will we be a stronger team with year two of Mark Lamb as coach? Who will be the teams to beat? Do we get an enforcer next year or will that be Sullivans job?

1989 Memorial Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by trucker View Post
    What's in store for us next season? Who will be our twenty year olds? Will Ortio play here? What about Richardson? Will we be a stronger team with year two of Mark Lamb as coach? Who will be the teams to beat? Do we get an enforcer next year or will that be Sullivans job?
    My wishlist is two players long:
    Joni Ortio
    Evan Richardson

Ortio will allow us to get a quality 20 yr old via trade
    Richardson will get a regular shift and be a difference maker for years to come

Evan Richardson has committed to play next season for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs of the BCHL. His size (5'6") was a factor in the decision to play in the physically smaller JrA league.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzerelli View Post
    Evan Richardson has committed to play next season for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs of the BCHL. His size (5'6") was a factor in the decision to play in the physically smaller JrA league.
    One can still dream...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Fonzerelli View Post
    Will this Richardson kid ever play here? What's wrong with 5'6", the kid never hear of Todd Holt? Lol. How old is he? One place on the net has him at 5'2", 120lbs, wow he is small.

I really hope we can get Ortio to play here.

We need someone besides Sullivan as an enforcer. IMO, Peddle would beat Sullivan quite easily in a scrap.

Dowling, Novotny and Bobbee for the 20's if we can get Ortio to play here, and start guiding a young goalie prospect as back up.

We will be a very good team next year, a lot of returning players that now know what Lamb wants and how to play like he wants. Lots of 19 year olds next year.
    Always Remembered

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
    Will this Richardson kid ever play here? What's wrong with 5'6", the kid never hear of Todd Holt? Lol. How old is he? One place on the net has him at 5'2", 120lbs, wow he is small.

I really hope we can get Ortio to play here.

We need someone besides Sullivan as an enforcer. IMO, Peddle would beat Sullivan quite easily in a scrap.

Dowling, Novotny and Bobbee for the 20's if we can get Ortio to play here, and start guiding a young goalie prospect as back up.

We will be a very good team next year, a lot of returning players that now know what Lamb wants and how to play like he wants. Lots of 19 year olds next year.
    I really would prefer it if Stepan wasn't here next year. Not a huge fan of his, to justify using a Euro and OA spot on him.

Default My two cents

And so another season comes to an end, and in Regina no less, thanks to the city and some curlers (we'll leave that for another thread ). I don't think anyone can be too disappointed or surprised with the result against Brandon. The Wheaties stacked up at the deadline, as they should have, and are loaded for the Memorial Cup. Too much depth and talent on that team and hopefully they can represent the WHL well and win it all. The Broncos showed great heart and effort but just too tall of an order. The loss of Claffey will leave some big skates to fill for next year. Not just his defensive abilities, playing against the oppositions top lines every night, but also his leadership skills. Back to back years as captain and being voted the players favourite speaks volumes. Good luck to him, Stickland and Tassone in their futures, both hockey and otherwise. Feel really bad for Taz, what's the saying...if he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all. Can't see Novotny being back to fill a 20 year old and Euro spot so the crapshoot that is the Euro draft can hopefully bring the team a diamond in the rough. What I wouldn't give to have a Varlamov up front or Rozival on defense. Unless the Flames can change his mind, I'm not holding my breath on Ortio coming here based just on his comments he made at the start of the year in the Calgary Sun regarding playing junior hockey in Canada. Maybe Sutter can "persuade" him that it's in his best interest to play here. As for who will be the 20's, my first guess would be Bobbee, Dowling and either Clarke or Freisen. Bobbee is a quality steady d-man and with Dowling probably pushing 90 points next year, that will help the offensive threat. And also with JD, the Broncos will win any 'stache contest in the league, lmao. With two 20 year old tenders, obviously one will have to go. I, along with a lot of others, was disappointed with Clarke's play in the first half thinking he might get dealt at the deadline but he really turned his season around and has proven to be more than solid. Preseason next year will likely determine their fates. Speaking of the deadline, the trade that was in effect Brown for Verdino was really a stroke of genius. Not exactly like Aaron Rome but Verdino does have some characteristics that remind me of him. Perhaps not the offensive upside, but solid defensively with a knack of being irritating to opposing forwards. Overall toughness is still an issue with this team. Even though a bonifide heavyweight may not be in the cards, some true power forwards would be a definite asset in the mold of Tassone (before he was injured last year). Guys that contribute on offense, can be responsible in their own end but can still drop the mitts and hold their own against other team's tougher guys. Hopefully Blanke and Sullivan can strengthen up over the off season and fill those roles. I sure wish that Luhning and Hay could have seen more ice this year and developed their games more. Going to be tough on them coming in as 18 year olds next year but still being like rookies playing at the WHL level. I'm sure they'll be motivated to work hard in the summer and come back and prove they belong and contribute to the team. What more can be said about Eakin's year? Even after the disappointment of being the last cut of the WJ team, there was no let up in his game. Sure wish he could have got to 50 but I wouldn't be surprised if he was close to 60 next year. Not at all disappointed in his playoff point totals either. Going against Hamonic and Robak (2 all stars) nearly every shift is an incredible tall order. Also what had to be playing 30 minutes a game some nights had to be taxing on him but still the effort was there . As much as I hate the first round exit again, next year does look more promising, with Lowry and Scarlett and a good group of young players. The Broncos weren't expected to beat Brandon, but at least they kept it close and showed a ton of heart in the games all things considered. As a hockey fan things could always be worse. Could be a Hitman fan, be heavily favored and on the brink of elimination (I see they did win tonight), or even worse...be a Pats fan.
    I says pardon?

Brad Hoban will double his point output of this season!