Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Howden has defied odds to become a star

Quote Originally Posted by lordstanley View Post
    Gillies was good enough to make the NHL at age 19 though
    but not good enough to stay, as a 20 year old he has spent the year playing on houstons 4th line with under 20 points

Minnesota screwed up Gillies development by keeping him up in the NHL last year. He wasnt ready for the NHL he rarely played cuz of that. Minnesota is great for screwing up young players.

Gillies wasnt even a dominate player at the junior level yet MIN thought he could play in the NHL... good job MIN

I agree, but Boston deserves all the credit for screwing up Kalus' development...though its not like Minny has helped.

Quote Originally Posted by patsdude114 View Post
    Minnesota screwed up Gillies development by keeping him up in the NHL last year. He wasnt ready for the NHL he rarely played cuz of that. Minnesota is great for screwing up young players.

Gillies wasnt even a dominate player at the junior level yet MIN thought he could play in the NHL... good job MIN
    It was a big blow to the blades as well thank god jacques lemaire is gone from minny so that **** can't happen there anymore

I meant the comparisons to gilles in the way he plays with the puck. Both players protect the puck very well down low, above average hands, and top class speed. I realize Howden has a better scoring touch down and Gilles is a better checker. I believe there NHL potential is very close though at the age of 17. I don't see Howden as a scorer in the NHL. More of a 3rd line guy who kills penalties probably max out at 15 goals and about 40pts. I thought thats what Gilles would be that at 17 when i compared him to Ethan Moreau. His development stalled and may only be a 4th line checker now

Gillies was a mediocre player in the league, I thought he was vastly overrated

All-Time Favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by dagley View Post
    i agree , great skater but terrible hands, and a headshot/ hit from behind predator

Quote Originally Posted by dagley View Post
    Overated for sure mediocre no way if you saw the talent he had around him in Saskatoon his last season you woulda laughed it was horrible, he added a diff elimate to a team after all he made team Canada didn't he