Thread: what do we need

Default what do we need

Well, the Alta Cup is into almost the last day , so with us having the 4 picks in the first 2 rounds what do you want to see. For myself, the key concept here is scoring talent. We need a player or two who can come in as a 16 year old and put some pucks in the net. Also , with one of those picks we need a quality backup goaltender . I think our present core of young d-men is fine as long as we can find one of them that can work the back end on the power play. To me this has been the success of the Hitmen the last two years. WHAT ARE YOUR IDEAS, IF WE COULD ALL BE THE BACKYARD GM AND DIRECTORS OF PLAYER PERSONAL .

Default what we need.....................

stick with the top 4 picks this year, and draft the best players you can....pretty simple...the problem doesn't lie in this years draft its more to do with the lack of talent between the ages....our crop of 16 and 17 year olds ( balog, sofillas, bennefeild, jackson ,tot) will not be the problem its the gap between them and braes,fyten and maxwell...the 18 though 20 year old group of forward will be the problem, im sure at least 1 or 2 will step up to the task but players like reners, moser, tarnasky, sutter,berglund, ross will have no place on this team come opening season unless they pull some magic sunshine out of their @sses and proove they belong here.....as for the back end look to jackson, oslanski, or yadlowski to step up into the pp guy for this year....with 2 many dmen there will some moves on the back end to shore up the lack of talent up front..... bring in 1 or 2 scorers up front and thin out a over crowded back end and this team should do fine this year......
    GO CANES GO.................

Or more accurately what don't we need? They can actualy draft the "best player available", be it a goaltender a scorer, an offensive d-man or a stay at home d-man. Fill up the protected list with a group of prospects that have a real shot at being players in this league.

Default Best players available..

Is usually the intention of any GM. I can't see the Hurricanes Brass taking any other approach than that. Apparently the best potential talent for this draft are in Alberta and BC with an outstanding defenseman in Manitoba. I would expect Preston to keep his first 3 picks and maybe deal his 3rd pick in the 2nd round or roster players in exchange for a proven 18 year old scorer. Just my opinion, but I think Berglund will be staying and contributing a lot to this club, and Ross will likely be staying because of his play upfront and his contribution in the leadership as an overage. If Sutter gets stronger on the puck over the summer, he will be an asset. Of the other three Moser likely has the best chance of staying. No matter who is drafted they will be players for the future. But this team will be more competitive this season. Hopefully they will find a Euro that can puck the puck in the net more than twice.

REBUILDING STARTS WITH THE BACK END AND GOALTENDING FIRST, THE CANES HAVE A GOOD START!

Default Berglund

I agree with ZAMBONI-PHONEY. I think that Berglund will still be with the club next season, I really enjoyed his playing style and hopefully some of that Carter Bancks heart rubbed off on him too.
    Canes definately need to go for some high scoring forwards.
    PeacefulChaos

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulChaos View Post
    Canes definately need to go for some high scoring forwards.
    I agree - however the Canes strength in their 1994 group is in the forwards I believe, so they may go for a 1995 D-man at 3rd overall. Everyone seems to agree Centre Alex Forsberg is going 1st overall to PG and then it depends on if top D-man prospect Madison Bowey (of Winnipeg as ZAMBONI mentioned) goes 2nd to Edmonton. If Edmonton doesnt choose Bowey, I think the Canes likely will.

If the Canes opt for a Forward, expect them to select one of the trio of Morgan Klimchuk (of Calgary), Jon Merkley (of Calgary), or Brian Williams (of California), all Centres. I'd lean towards Klimchuk or Merkley given that US players are more risky with their possible NCAA aspirations.

Matt Needham is up there in the top 3 but scouts are saying he wants to play ONLY for Kamloops - not the kind of character the Canes need, especially with great character people in Preston/Robson/Sutter making the calls now!

With three 2nd round picks, I think a big trade is also in the cards...
    All in all, we will know the answers and results in the next 24 hours.

GO CANES GO
    Last edited by canes77; 04-29-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo

Default wow...the canes get 3 projected 1st rounders in there first 3 picks...

i know it is all hearsay at this point but not to bad for mr preston and crew..here's the link.....http://www.network54.com/Forum/40684...F+happy+-+haha
    GO CANES GO.................

Default The Hurricanes are building with class as .......

The first 5 picks in this year's draft by the Hurricanes has given us a good indication of the job done by Rich Preston, Brad Robson, Rich Sutter and the scouting staff. The Canes have drafted quality of character, skill and leadership. The thing that strikes me is the balance of the first 5 picks. Two highly skilled forwards, two talented d-men and a goaltender with size and skill. The Hurricanes may have been out of the playoff picture, but Preston's decision to move talent for draft picks will certainly go a long way in maintaining a competitive team for seasons to come. It is a very positive move and when you blend the talent drafted by Preston and Robson along with the talent drafted by Stasiuk and Robson, it makes for a very solid list. And unless Preston decides to move one of his two first round picks in the 2011 draft, there will be more talent added to the list.

YOU CAN'T BUILD A HOUSE THAT WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME WITHOUT A STRONG FOUNDATION!

Default sleeper

I read the comments on on of the other blogs that being Small thoughts at large and he said that the only negative ting about Rem Laurencelle out of Winnipeg was his size but based on skill he should have been drafted much higher . Also the HF board had him ranked at 65th, Here is hoping that his frame can take the the faster and harder hitting at this new level. We certainly seem to look after the offensive zone, with speed and skill both at d and fwd . Can,t wait to hear Preston coments, and I am surprised that we took as many d-men as we did.

Default Sleeper.....

Quote Originally Posted by grainbear View Post
    Can,t wait to hear Preston coments, and I am surprised that we took as many d-men as we did.
    The first comments on Remi did come from Brad Robson who stated that the Hurricanes had him ranked a lot higher and were suprised that they could grab him when they did.

I would not attempt to speak for the GM, but in taking 5 fwds and 4 def, it may be to keep a balance with the list and not overweighted at one position. Also like most GM/Coaches, the strength of a club comes from the back end and out. One look at the Hitmen shows that building from the net out certainly works well.

Frankly, I like the balance of this draft. Up front they have drafted skill, speed and character. Goal scoring in the future could be very good.

COMPETITION AT EVERY POSITION IS A GOOD THING!