Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '10 Draft

Default '10 Draft

May as well start a thread. This is a tough one for us fans because for the most part we have no idea who these kids are. We are fed some hype by the team, or some that may know the kid, but we still have to wait a year or two to truely see them in camp.

Anyhow I came across a mock draft from the Star Phoenix (i think) that should make some people around here happy.

11. SWIFT CURRENT BRONCOS

D Keegan Kanzig, 6-5, 198, Fort Saskatchewan Rangers bantam AAA

Big, bruising defenceman loves to hit. Also displays surprisingly good raw offensive ability for such a big kid. Projects to be a shutdown defenceman.

Stats: 33 GP, 8-18-26, 56 PIMs. Hockeyprospect.com ranking: 15

Looks like the Broncos are light on picks. They gave up the 2nd and 4th round picks when they traded for Negrin & Stickland. Then gave up the 3rd round pick for Friesen. With Richardson still not committed the future is looking pretty weak.

Quote Originally Posted by d-man View Post
    Looks like the Broncos are light on picks. They gave up the 2nd and 4th round picks when they traded for Negrin & Stickland. Then gave up the 3rd round pick for Friesen. With Richardson still not committed the future is looking pretty weak.
    Top picks are nice. But the good teams all can draft pass the fifth round.

Jordan Eberle - 7th round
    Brent Raedeke - 8th round
    Damien Ketlo - 10th round

Just a few that I know of. There are tons of talented kids out there, to get another Eberle is highly unlikely, but there is an opportunity to get some quality role players.
    But then again for every late round gem that is found, there is a first round bust. Hard to tell how a kid will perform 4 years from now (because that is what you are looking at, how a kid will play at 18).

Its not all about the draft but its where you start to build the future of the club. There's still listed players and trades but its those picks you try to build your future teams around. My mistake in the above post, looks like we do have a 4th round pick that came from Regina in the Dudas trade.
    Hopefully Richardson commits and we pick a solid defenceman this year.

Whats up with the Richardson guy. I hear he is lights out good! ...But he is only 5' 6 and not sure if he wants to play in the dub? I thought I heard Lamb say in a radio interview that he was comitted to coming to training camp. Anyone know more than this?

1989 Memorial Cup Champions

We have four fourth round picks.

According to Alan Caldwell's blog we received picks for Zach Habscheid, Dudas, Guggenberger and Molle.

Quote Originally Posted by trucker View Post
    Whats up with the Richardson guy. I hear he is lights out good! ...But he is only 5' 6 and not sure if he wants to play in the dub? I thought I heard Lamb say in a radio interview that he was comitted to coming to training camp. Anyone know more than this?
    My understanding is that he will report to camp but has not signed with the club. The fact that he will come to camp is positive. Hopefully he has a positive experience and decides to stAY.

Quote Originally Posted by FIVE FOR FIGHTING View Post
    My understanding is that he will report to camp but has not signed with the club. The fact that he will come to camp is positive. Hopefully he has a positive experience and decides to stAY.
    That would at least give the city/team/fans/etc time to convince him.

This years picks through four rounds:

11. LD Heatherington, Dillon Calgary, Alta. 5'11 150
    70. LW Sinatynski, Josh Fort Saskatchewan, Alta. 5'11 140
    71. C Mackay, Zac Swift Current, Sask. 5'09 145
    78 . G Bow, Landon, St. Albert, Alta. 6'02 151
    81. RD Zinken, Bobby, Calgary, Alta. 5'04 120

* I know from going to http://smallatlarge.blogspot.com/ that there are size differences in players. IE Zinken is listed as 5'4 on the WHL page, and 5'9 on Caldwells blog. Also zip on to that blog for stats on each player taken.