Thread: Ferraro

Default Ferraro

It sounds like Detroit wouldn't mind having Ferraro moved.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2010...pect_land.html

This was posted on June 9th under Landon Ferraro you might want to read some of the discussion.

LOL, thanks! I read the prospect thread and completely missed that one.

Default Why cant a player ask for a trade?

Landon Ferraro is well within his right to ask to be moved from Red Deer.

Why is it assumed that WHL teams "own" a player when the players play for basically nothing?..we hear all the time what a business it is so if a player wants to be moved why would a team not maximize its assets and trade a player who does not want to play for them? Why does it become a personal insult to the team when a player wants a trade or their release? When a team has an infinite supply of players to choose from they would most certainly dump a player at any time so why cant the player move if a team is working against his best interests?

The coach of Red Deer made it clear last year in the playoffs that Ferraro was some sort of "problem" and sat him out. With that, and I would believe other issues, why cant the player be allowed to go to a situation that would be better for all concerned. We castigate the player and never seem to look at the organization, maybe if respect were both ways, and most WHL teams were not locked into the dark ages of player/team relationships, conflicts like the one Ferraro finds himself in would not occur.

The NHL has realized the players are employees, not property, and as such have adjusted their treatment of players markedly in the last 30yrs. Is it not time all Jr hockey teams caught up to that? Just because the players are "kids" should not mean that teams can assume ownership over thier careers when by the teams actions the team is not working in the best interests of the player. If the team does not like a player then move him dont drag him through the mud and try to destroy him.

I know of another instance of this type of treatment with a player who is nowhere near the talent Ferraro is and that player's team would rather the player quit the game than trade or release him. This is after the team has told him that no one wants him and he is not good enough?? What the hell is that? Maybe it is time for fans to stop dumping on the players and put the responsibility where it belongs... onto the organization. If a player doesn't want to be there than trade or release him.. If the team treats its players with respect than maybe those players would not want to leave.

Default why no trade

It is fairly obvious that the comments by the coaching staff have lowered his value in the market place. No one wants a problem child even if he isn't his market value has dropped and Red Deer simply must want too much or he would already be gone.

Default Coaching staff is at fault....

not the player.. if they made negative comments about an asset like Ferraro then that is their fault...the league should not allow the player to be punished because the team cant act professionally. The team does have a bigger responsibility in this due to the fact that they are dealing with kids.

A simple solution is to put a time limit..30 days or 45 days...for a deal or release to be made by the team and if that cant be done then the league steps in. The league should be arbitrator of these types of issues, when a team is "sitting" on a player, and should be brokering a deal which is in the least satisfactory for all parties if the team can not, or will not, make a deal in the allotted time limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
    Why is it assumed that WHL teams "own" a player when the players play for basically nothing?
    Because they own his rights and he cannot play anywhere else in the CHL, or minor pro. It is a very basic, but effective system that maintains parity in a developmental league.

we hear all the time what a business it is so if a player wants to be moved why would a team not maximize its assets and trade a player who does not want to play for them?
    I think that is the plan, but if they are just getting players back of equal quality to what they already have, then they are not maximizing their assets in any shape or form. Ferraro is a quality prospect, and a professional. I suspect that if he does not get traded over the summer, he will be back in Red Deer for training camp.

Why does it become a personal insult to the team when a player wants a trade or their release?
    I haven't heard anywhere, or read anywhere about anyone being insulted by rumors that he wants a trade. Your source for this? I haven't heard him or the Rebels being quoted as making any critical comments towards each other. When he is at the top of his game, he has game-breaking speed and skill, and I welcome his return to the team, should that be the resolution to the whole thing.

When a team has an infinite supply of players to choose from they would most certainly dump a player at any time so why cant the player move if a team is working against his best interests?
    There is a near infinite supply of players, but an extremely finite number of players with the kind of skill that Ferraro has. If a player could just ignore the bantam draft, ignore and the teams' 50 player protected lists and change teams on a whim, then there would be even less parity in the league than there is now.

The coach of Red Deer made it clear last year in the playoffs that Ferraro was some sort of "problem" and sat him out.
    He was being grossly outhustled by his 3rd and 4th line teammates in the few games leading up to the playoffs, and in the first 3 games of the playoffs. Obviously he was in a slump of sorts, as it didn't reflect his play in the last half of the season. But if you put in less than 100% (or in his case less than 50%) effort in a string of games, you have to expect to be scratched for a game or two. As a professional, you suck it up and accept it.

If the team does not like a player then move him dont drag him through the mud and try to destroy him.
    Again, I will have to get your source on this, as I have never read or heard anything bad said about him. In fact, as I recall, in the post-game interview after the last playoff game, when asked about it, Wallin said that he was 'injured'.
    Last edited by SectionNDeserter; 06-12-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
    not the player.. if they made negative comments about an asset like Ferraro then that is their fault...the league should not allow the player to be punished because the team cant act professionally. The team does have a bigger responsibility in this due to the fact that they are dealing with kids.

A simple solution is to put a time limit..30 days or 45 days...for a deal or release to be made by the team and if that cant be done then the league steps in. The league should be arbitrator of these types of issues, when a team is "sitting" on a player, and should be brokering a deal which is in the least satisfactory for all parties if the team can not, or will not, make a deal in the allotted time limit.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I understand your argument is based around the age of the players playing in the dub but whether it is fair or not the people who CHOOSE to come and play in this league make that decision realizing that they are not being treated like children that they are now being treated like adults. The players understand that as do the parents of those players.

This league is a developmental league for people who are aspiring to play professional hockey. This league and the teams in the league are also in it to make money.

I really have a hard time with your idea of having a system in place for an arbitrator to step in when something doesn't go the way an individual wants it to. What type of life lessons is that teaching kids as you say? I don't buy it, it's a fact of life no different then a teenager with a job where he is not happy with his boss. People have choices and if they choose to deal with them professionally (which I believe Landon is doing) then they will likely get the outcome that they are looking for.