Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camp

Iconcup

So any thoughts on who stood out, who didn't and possible new guys joining the team for the season??

Default Main Camp

I missed ROokie camp this morning but I did get to take in the Main camp scrimmage, here are my thoughts and observations from the scrimmage starting from the back and moving out.

Goaltending:
    5 Goalies split the game for the main camp, and although you can't judge everything by one single session it is still pretty clear that this job is Kuempers and if today is any indication then we really need him. He was solid, let in one goal, played the puck (not that well, not an area of strength imo) and did the things we expect from him. After him the other goalies who played were, Barnstable, Halcrow, Gorchynski, and Rakochy. Barnstable looked pretty good as well but he has to outplay Kuemper to win that spot and today they were pretty even. Of the remaining 3 I thought Gorchynski looked the best although him and Rakochy really didn't see much action. I like Gorchynksi's size and he seems to move pretty well. Rackochy is pretty short his shoulders were right around the cross bar, he can't be much taller than 5'9 and his glove hand seemed to fight the puck a little today. Then there is Halcorw, and during his stint in net grey was lighting up black. Some of the goals he had no chance on but others he did. He made a bad poke check and based on this one appearance I can't see him here. Hopefully he turns it around (you all know my stance on 20 year old goalies lol). So based on today and today only I see it as Kuemper and Gorchynski as our 1-2, it will be intersting to watch this progress.

Defense:
    10 players split between the two sides today on Defense with one absent not moved up yet from Rookie camp is Dumba. The locks I believe are Weller, Archer, Petrovic, and Dumba. Broejko is likely there too but who knows the competition is pretty tough. Bresciani, Deagle and Slobozian all looked good today in the main camp. Slobozian probably impressed me the most but Deagle and Brescaini weren't far behind. Pufahl still looks pretty small and may have even got hurt today, he limped (I think it was him, hard to tell since my sheet had two #5's on black) off the ice and I can't say for sure whether or not he came back. Nice to have this depth, especially since we will be starting the year without Witt.

Forwards:
    I think there were 18 forwards, with one noticeably absent. The Nuge wasn't there, although he has already played enough hockey this summer lol. Too many to go into detail on each but I will try my best. Kudrna played well, not too much effort but had a few good moments with the puck. Froese, looked good too nothing flashy but heh this is day 1! Josh Cowen looked good to me, I was impressed with his speed. Lane Scheidl was one of the best players on the ice, I was really quite impressed. Chad Robinson, a 93 from MB looked pretty good, had some quick bursts. John Persson is going to have a good year, he is really strong on the puck. Tyson Ness had some moments, didn't shine but also wasn't a glaring weakness. Jamie Johnson a 92 out of Edm didn't really stand out to me. Clint Pirio is going to light up the league....when he gets to play Mens no Hit. This guy is big has pretty soft hands but he wouldn't go into a corner if his life depended on it. He stick checked everyone and plays way too soft for the Dub. On to the Grey team. Turner Elson looked ok, nothing too outstanding. Ferguson and Coetzee looked good,but you expect that from 20 year olds. Colton Mayor had a horrible first half but turned it on in the second, scoring one, and setting up another on a beautiful 2 on 1. Kambeitz is another who stood out for me today, he could have a big year. Siwak looked good at times, needs to keep his head up though. Neil Landry isn't ready to play at this level, Steve Oursov had some really good shifts, really good skater and could push for a spot. Locke Muller, I got nothing....sorry can't remember...I guess that isn't bad or good since he obviously didn't make an impression one way or the other.

Its great to have hockey back...some overall impressions, I was a little disapointed in the lack of intensity, but then again it is main camp and most of the guys know each other. Goaltending after Kuemper does concern me, but we are going to put the puck in the net a lot more than we have in recent years. Well that's it from me...I look forward to hearing others observations. Any info on the rookies would be appreciated since I missed that this afternoon.

Default Day 2 thoughts

Well I was back at the rink tonight and watched the Main camp exhibition as well. Here are some of my observations/thoughts after day two.

I have been reading on Rebel Rebellion and I have to agree with one of his comments, Kambeitz looks awesome! Actually the best line on the ice today by far is Kambeitz, Siwak and Mayor. They made something happen every time they were on the ice. Kambeitz keeps this up he will be a lot of fun to watch.

My other observation from a veteran perspective is that Oursov is going to make it very difficult to cut him. He can fly! And like the article in the advocate said if he can combine that speed with some goal scoring touch well he will stick. He scored a beauty in scrimmage tonight under the cross bar as he left the defenceman in his dust.

Ok now on to the Rooks. I must admit I am not seeing the same thing that Wally is (mentioned on his Rebelion page) Neil Landry does not stand out for me and was overshadowed by some other team black players. Actually of all the rookies Chase McMurphy from Chestemere stood out the most for me. I love his size for a 94, he doesn't shy away from being hit and right now I would keep him. The other person to me that seemed to fit in pretty well today was Jamie Johnson. He is an 18 year old and looks pretty good out there. I think some of our bubble vets need to step it up or they could have their jobs stolen by a couple of rookies. After watching today though I don't think many of those spots will be lost to 16 year olds. Dumba is here and looks solid, he skates well and is intense, you go to hit him you better be prepared to end up taking the hit, he doesn't just sit there and accept he hits back before he is even hit. So there is one 16 year old, like I said above Chase McMurphy could be another then after that Mark McCoy has the size but is a little uncoordinated and is a stretch to make the team). Locke Muller looks good at times and to me still stood out more than Landry. Maybe I am missing something, but he didn't stand out for me today or yesterday. A lot of the 94's just aren't Dub ready, some of them don't even look 150 pounds yet, and were getting pushed off the puck a lot.

Goaltending is so tough to judge in these things but Halcrow isn't playing himself on to the team. From what I watched he had the worst outing.

It may be too early but I have revised my earlier roster projections and based on two days of camp here is my lineup:

Forwards: Kudrna (19) Froese (19) Cowen (19) Persson (18) R.N.H. (17) Fergusion (20) Scheidl (18) Kambeitz (18) Siwak (17) Elson (18) Mayor (17) McMurphy (16) Burr (16) Oursov (19)

Defence: Petrovic (18) Archer (20) Weller (19) Dumba (16) Borejko (19) Witt (18)lBresciani (17) Grayson (16) (Deagle as an extra until Witt is healthy

Goalies: Kuemper (20) Gorchynski (18)

A couple of other thoughts not mentioned above:

Cory Millette looks good and fast for a 15 year old and at 16 won't suffer what some of our current 16 year olds do. Not too small for this league and not afraid to get into it.

Pirio didn't change my opininon today

Froese plays with some intensity, I like it.

Rakochy and Maillet are both smaller goalies but had a good session today.