Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hitmen Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by peatfan View Post
    Yeah he was cut by the Rebels before he joined the Hitmen. Surprised we took so many players who were cut a week earlier by other teams. I can see one or two but we had so many, 3 cut by the Rebels (Faux & Slobozian the other 2). I guess if one tuen out to be a good contibutor it's worth it.
    I am very surprised Calgary took any of these guys. I went to camp and I don't even remember Faux, Landry I remember for the wrong reasons (surprised you guys are taking a chance) and Slobozian I do recall at times looking ok. I guess I am just a little surprised for a team that is supposed to be as strong as Calgary's that they are taking other teams cuts even before their final cuts.

Fiddler was at the Coyotees camp and Foucault was at Minnesota's camp. Both are overagers and will be either both on the first line or split up on the first two lines. Great to have tham back as Fidds will likely be the captain or the co-captain.
    And another note to the Rebels fans but both Landry & Faux were cut today. No surprise for either especially Faux. He must've been three strides behind on every rush the other night in Strathmore. Guy was almost as slow as Chris Dingman and without the toughness.

I do believe that Foucault and Fiddler will be split up to start the season.

I think we will see Bubnick and Foucault together on the first line. Fiddler and Sylvester will pair up on the 2nd line. Lots of options for the 3rd member of each line imo. Kirsch, Cheek, Beach, possibly Clayton.

No surprise Faux and Landry were cut, giving Slobozian a longer look won't hurt you either. Big kid just too much depth here at the position he was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelsfan13 View Post
    No surprise Faux and Landry were cut, giving Slobozian a longer look won't hurt you either. Big kid just too much depth here at the position he was trying to make.
    Slobozian is long gone. He was cut after the intrasquad game on Labour Day.

As for why the Hitmen are/were auditioning so many older "castoff" type players, it comes down to numbers. The Hitmen have 11 openings on this year's team and there isn't a team in the league that has eleven 16 or 17 year old kids on their protected list who are ready to play in the league, nor would many teams want that many kids all at once. So, you have to add some older players from somewhere.

Some players who have been cut by other teams just need a change of scenery. Different coach, etc....so far though I am not sure that any of the older tryout players the Hitmen have brought in are capable of anything more than 3rd or 4th line duty.

Wow 11 openings I didn't see that when I looked at your potential roster. I sawmore like six openings for players who didn't play on or part of last years team. I am not there so I will trust your perspective.

"I think we will see Bubnick and Foucault together on the first line. Fiddler and Sylvester will pair up on the 2nd line. Lots of options for the 3rd member of each line imo. Kirsch, Cheek, Beach, possibly Clayton"

I see the ntwo Cody's together as they seem to have good chemistry as they grew up together. Putting Foucault finishing touch with them would be a nice compliment. Meanwhile Fiddler & Bubnick would be on the next line with Cheek. If it's too much a jump for him than Kirsch would fit nicely. On the third it will be Lawrence, Royer & Kirsch (Cheek). Clayton & Trzonkowski seems to be meshing nicely together and will be a good start to line 4. Right now it's a toss up to the third member-Skrudland or Scott. Santini & Broissoit will be depth. Both have shown flashes of good but not the consistency. I still see a trade coming up, dman for forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelsfan13 View Post
    Wow 11 openings I didn't see that when I looked at your potential roster. I sawmore like six openings for players who didn't play on or part of last years team. I am not there so I will trust your perspective.
    Assume a 24 player roster, 2G, 8D, 14F. Returnees are:

G: Snider
    D: Kosterman, Mackenzie, Rissling, Stebner, Wilson
    F: Beach, Bubnick, Fiddler, Foucault, Kirsch, Royer, Sylvester

That's 13 players, which leaves 11 openings.

Forward John Lawrence played half the year last year before being sent to Junior A. Other than him, everybody else is new to the Hitmen.

I see the ntwo Cody's together as they seem to have good chemistry as they grew up together. Putting Foucault finishing touch with them would be a nice compliment.
    I agree, and Sylvester/Foucault are also a couple of guys who could benefit from having Beach on their line to create some space for them. Sylvester's not the biggest or strongest guy, while Foucault isn't a guy who likes to fight for his space very much. Beach offers something that helps both of them.

I still see a trade coming up, dman for forward.
    Out of curiosity, which d-man would you move? The only vets back there are Stebner, Mackenzie, and Wilson. Berg hasn't proven himself as a full-time WHLer yet and Kosterman/Rissling are going to be good players but they're still inexperienced and will make some mistakes. We all like the potential of Roach and Lubin but they aren't going to fetch a good forward in return yet either.

I don't think we can afford to move Stebner, Mackenzie, or Wilson, which means the best candidate to be moved is either Kosterman or Rissling. You should be able to get a good 17/18 year old forward for one of them.

How do you see it?

Personally I don't think Kisio moves a defenceman. That is a very solid top 5 kids imo. But if the Hitmen had to trade one, I would probably move Rissling. I think Kosterman will be the better of the two.

As for line combos, I thought Bubnick and Foucault had some chemistry in last years playoffs. I agree that Beach and Sylvester have some chemistry together and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them paired up.