Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich Sutter leaves Hurricanes

Sutter was the one positive that the Hurricanes had going forward and it is a shame that they lost him because of the stupidity of the board.

Based on their actions in the past it should come as no surprise that they made another stupid decision, but it sure gets tiresome seeing they do the wrong thing every single time.

The team is now left with 0 people who know hockey and with a severe lack of talent on the team in the prospects.

Considering that it would be tough for the best of WHL minds to turn this franchise around hard to expect much when we have about the worst that you could get.

If the team loses out on the 2013 Memorial Cup it will only be because the selection committee sees what 95% of people in Lethbridge already know that the board is made up of idiots and not only have 0% chance of having a competitive team, but would screw up the event so bad that it would be a black eye on the CHL as a whole.

Unbelievable. Moved to Lethbridge last year and far too many of the so called hockey fans in this town are incredibly negative. Find something else to do with your time and money. Try being positive about one or two things a day. We have WHL hockey and many good things come with it. It won't be Rich Sutter that ruins this city's chance of hosting the Memorial Cup, it will be the negativity which leads to incredible apathy in others as a spin off result. Rich Sutter has minimal respect in the elite hockey world these days. He was a pretty good player but there is a reason why at his age and stage of his life he was working low on the totem pole on a WHL team.

Default Just my rant

Just like everyone else here, I know a person who is in the "know" with the Canes either on the board, or a billet, or a player. I was a big supporter of Sutter when he first came onto the scene, after reading and listening to all that I have, I will admit that I was on the wrong side of things. for myself "as a fan" for what I actually know or was hearing... how much was truth and how much was propaganda. Rich Sutter is a grown man, with a vast amount of experience in hockey, if he did not want to be involved in the role he was offered and paid, then he as an adult and hockey guy, should have said no. No he made his bed, and now sleeps with no sheets. Go get another job... that is what adults do, we all have jobs that we sometimes don't like, so go get a new one.

In 2 years I do think we will have the horses to be a championship team, with or without Sutter. Just like every other team, if we need players, we will trade for them, if we have the players, then we can trade for the pieces that we need. Who would not want to come to a team that is hosting the Canadian junior championship?

If we are lucky enough to get the Memorial cup, do you think that the CHL, WHL, or sponsors of the event will let it be a failure. If we do end up getting it they will give the Hurricanes all the advice that is needed, and if they need help they will receive it, if they don't take it, it will be enforced if needed. there is not bloody way it would be a bad event.

So lets get off the board and teams back, let focus on what we can do for this organization. Also I hope that if they canes do get this event, then we are all ballsy enough to all volunteer our time, money, and effort to make it a success. So if you have good ideas, and even if you don't like the current people in power, send them your advice and good ideas. What is the worst that can happen they ignore what we send in.

Let's remember we are here for the kids who are playing on our team, not for the people up in the press boxes. Lets make it a good experience for them, I don't care if any of the people in the front office ever get to the NHL, but i damn sure do care if the kids playing do.

well said metalrules!

Default Its about time......

that someonelse has risen to the ocassion! Way to go MetalRules

You are so right.......it is about the players!!!!

Icon06 we need a grip

meta rules has it right. Richie is a big boy who makes his own decisions. His decision to not stay with the club is not board related. Moon is under the impression that the board is all powerful. My understanding is the board hired Rich Preston and he is the one who hires and fires and offers position to his hockey staff. I guess Preston with 30 years around the game is just another one of those "no nothing" stupids you refer to. With five brothers in the NHL, AHL and WHL plus his many years in the NHL himself, Richie should have no trouble being being offered a position elsewhere. Good luck Richie!!! Lets all cheer for the canes!!

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    meta rules has it right. Richie is a big boy who makes his own decisions. His decision to not stay with the club is not board related. Moon is under the impression that the board is all powerful. My understanding is the board hired Rich Preston and he is the one who hires and fires and offers position to his hockey staff. I guess Preston with 30 years around the game is just another one of those "no nothing" stupids you refer to. With five brothers in the NHL, AHL and WHL plus his many years in the NHL himself, Richie should have no trouble being being offered a position elsewhere. Good luck Richie!!! Lets all cheer for the canes!!
    I don't think they are all powerful but it was them that made the hires that have made this team awful on the ice (last year) and off the ice (for a number of years).

Preston has 30 years around the game but before last he had 0 years as a GM or talent evaluator at any level and a whopping two years as a WHL coach. Sure seems like a resume for a guy to be handed both jobs, when it is rarely done in junior hockey.

Preston isn't just one of the know nothing stupids is he the top know nothing stupid.

I still cheer for the Canes and because of that I want to see what is best for the team and Preston and the morons on the board are not close to the best.

The Canes will be fine this season. It's not all up to Preston to do everything for the club. That's why teams have several scouts, including a head scout, and an assistant GM. The Canes DO have a great talent evaluator, I'm glad Preston and the club chose to re-hire Robson full time - he was a successful scout for a perennial NHL contender for almost 20 years and has helped draft some great prospects for the Canes in his first 3 bantam drafts (1993/1994/1995 players). Great NHL clubs dont keep guys around just because! This new chapter of the Canes looks bright. They have a great coach and great scout in Preston and Robson. Am I more patience than some of you or what? It was only two years ago that the Canes were the conference champs! Only one of the other 11 teams has been able to claim that title since the Canes did.

Not that it's a given to happen here, but take a look at Portland. They hired an NHL Asst Coach as their Head Coach and GM (sound familiar?) with not one game of WHL experience! They didnt improve overnight, in fact they were last place again in his first season behind the bench. But now look where they are after his 2nd year... 44 wins last season (the Canes had 45 in 07-08) and 8 NHL draft picks this summer!

GO CANES GO

Default Comparison.......

I can't believe the negativity that continues to swirl around this hockey club of ours. Along with the ridiculous statements made by some fans. But for the sake of arguing I have done some research and this is what I found:

Richie Sutter: Played several seasons or parts of seasons in the NHL, AHL and IHL. He was traded after only 6 games in two seasons from the team that drafted him (Pitts) to Phil. In his last year in the NHL he was traded twice. He played over 840 pro games. Coaching at the pro level....none. Coaching at the WHL level none. Scouted for short periods of time with Minnesota Wild and Phnx. Since leaving the pro ranks he has not been hired by any team in any capacity except the Hurricanes.

Rich Preston: Played University of Denver for 2 season (hardly the place for a moron) then went on two play 5 seasons in the WHA (including MVP of playoffs in 79). He then played 7 seasons in the NHL with Chicago and NJ.
    Coaching at the pro level 15 years as an assistant coach in the NHL (I believe that is a form of player evaluation) and two years as a head coach with the Regina Pats.

Brad Robson: Western Regional Scout (I believe that is a form of player evaluation) for 20 years with one team in the NHL ...Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars. (another moron????)

I like others on here believe that the Hurricanes are in the best hands that they have been in for a long time. The future looks bright for sure. I also believe there is a lot of continuity on the club, as Preston has a lot of respect and admiration for Matt Kabayama who could very well be he next head coach if/when Preston steps down from that job.

So we will see how this group does, my feeling is that we are in for some very exciting years ahead.

NOTHING LIKE A PROMISING FUTURE TO SPARK A BRIGHT PRESENT!

Quote Originally Posted by ZAMBONI-PHONEY View Post
    Rich Preston: Played University of Denver for 2 season (hardly the place for a moron) then went on two play 5 seasons in the WHA (including MVP of playoffs in 79). He then played 7 seasons in the NHL with Chicago and NJ.
    Coaching at the pro level 15 years as an assistant coach in the NHL (I believe that is a form of player evaluation) and two years as a head coach with the Regina Pats.
    What exactly does an assistant coach in the NHL have to do with player evaluation? He doesn't scout young players, he doesn't even watch them play. He doesn't decide who plays or not. he doesn't scout other teams players to decide who to bring in to the team.

Its great that he won an MVP in the play-offs of the WHA but that has 0 bearing on his ability to identify, assess and develop young talent in the WHL.

Brad Robson: Western Regional Scout (I believe that is a form of player evaluation) for 20 years with one team in the NHL ...Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars. (another moron????)
    Robson is not bad. I have no issues with him.

I like others on here believe that the Hurricanes are in the best hands that they have been in for a long time.
    Based on what? Preston has shown aboslutely nothing to indicate that he will be successful. His best "asset" was that he was a mediocre assistant coach in the NHL. Sure seems like a recipe for success for a guy to be a WHL GM AND Head coach.

The terrible group that was here before got the team to a WHL Final, won another play-off round and consistently had top level talent on the team. I am glad that a jerk like Stasiuk is gone because of how he treated people, but on the ice the team was in much better hands with a guy that actually knew a little bit about talent rather than a moron like Preston that gives away top level talent for nothing.

The future looks bright for sure.
    The future looks bright? The team was one of the worst teams in the league, not even close to being competitive and lost their best player. The guys didn't show much, if any promise, and there isn't any studs coming into the team anytime soon.