Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp 2010 - Surprising & Not So Surprising

Default Training Camp 2010 - Surprising & Not So Surprising

Day1

The Black Team practised at 5:15 LPM

Some players are practice players and others are game players or both, but from this observer's eyes the following players looked great or surprisingly good:

Mark McNeil was in a class of his own. He looked great.
    Beau Stewart was surprisingly good. And I wasn't expecting much.
    Sebastian Svendsen looked quick and shifty.
    Rowley & Hrynyk looked solid, especially Rowley.

And then there is the other side of the coin:

Tucker looked rusty and not terrific.
    Sutton & Waseylenko need work on skating.
    I was disappointed with the two 95s in this group. Smallish and not impressive.

Gold Team versus Green Team at 6:30 PM

Top Forwards:

Herrod, Maylan, Danyluk, MacKenzie & Paslawski. Herrod was tricky, skilled and scored a bunch. Danyluk was surprisingly strong and creative, Maylan a very complete game and tenacious, MacKenzie fast and physically aggressive, Paslawski (who heard of him) was all around decent. Fiddler was invisible and then scored a snipers goal.

Would like to see more from Parker and Balson was a disappointment as was Herle.

On Defense:

Deck, Bettauer, Bourhis & Button all looked strong and steady. Bourhis played some forward and didn't look out of place, I think he's a keeper.
    Yaworski & Ruopp need to have better outings.

Goaltending: Eric Williams by far the best of the bunch, not even a close call.

I agree with both pretty much

Iconcup

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan15 View Post
    game #2
    team Black
    Mcneill, Reddin , Mahura and Lorange looked good all game , but the player of the game imo was Arwvn Atwal. Atwal was physical and strong at both eds of the ice . Laid a big hit on Parker and then ended up dropping the gloves with the 19 year old power forward. Parker got the best of Atwal but is 4 years older. Atwal was cut open bad but never missed a shift. Tucker also looked very good .
    team Green
    Parker had a real strong game as did Herle. Balson , MAckenzie and Danyluk also played well. Both Williams and Phaneuf played well in goal but not as well as Tucker.
    Gotta agree with most of what you said except I thought Mahura and Lorange were not overly impressive and I thought Herle was ineffective and Balson was terrible, always way behind the play, just not able to keep up. I was disappointed that Parker who is 4 years older than Atwal would have engaged in a fight with him. McNeil, Reddin, MacKenzie & Danyluk all did their thing and did it well. And as you said, Williams, Tucker and Phaneuf were all good but I thought Williams outshone them all.
    I was disappointed in Stewart and Waseylenko. Stewart needs to get stronger and Waseylenko just isn't there yet. Yaworski and Ruopp are doing their best to play themselves off the team.

Atwal really impressed me also, might have been the best d-man out there this morning. Parker and Herle both played decent. Mahura showed some nice hands. Williams took the lead in the goaltending department. Paslawski was almost invisible today. Agree with Yaworski and Ruopp not looking too great. Danyluk has been the best rookie. Also impressed in how much Farge gets involved.

Iconcup

Quote Originally Posted by Sabes View Post
    Atwal really impressed me also, might have been the best d-man out there this morning. Parker and Herle both played decent. Mahura showed some nice hands. Williams took the lead in the goaltending department. Paslawski was almost invisible today. Agree with Yaworski and Ruopp not looking too great. Danyluk has been the best rookie. Also impressed in how much Farge gets involved.

So far I like Atwal and Farge better than any of the other 95 draft picks.
    Danyluk is definitely the best of the 94 draft class.
    I'm starting to think there might be some surprises on defense and maybe even one or two up front.

Default McNeil, Reddin

Quote Originally Posted by Raider Believer View Post
    Gotta agree with most of what you said except I thought Mahura and Lorange were not overly impressive and I thought Herle was ineffective and Balson was terrible, always way behind the play, just not able to keep up. I was disappointed that Parker who is 4 years older than Atwal would have engaged in a fight with him. McNeil, Reddin, MacKenzie & Danyluk all did their thing and did it well. And as you said, Williams, Tucker and Phaneuf were all good but I thought Williams outshone them all.
    I was disappointed in Stewart and Waseylenko. Stewart needs to get stronger and Waseylenko just isn't there yet. Yaworski and Ruopp are doing their best to play themselves off the team.

I would have to agreee! McNeil and Reddin definitely did their thing. Saw Reddin yesterday off ice and he looked the best in shape. You could tell he has been working out this summer and ready to earn that overage spot. Would love to see McNeil/Reddin step it up and be leaders!

Great fight!

Forwards
    Revenko
    Herrod
    Maylan
    Mcneill
    Danyluk
    Parker
    Winther
    Mackenzie
    Svendsen
    Herle
    Paslawski
    Fiddler
    Stewart
    Braid

* Balson could beat out Braid due to experience

Defense(8)

Deck
    Rowley
    Button
    Hrynyk
    Berry
    Bourhis
    Ruopp
    Yaworski - Could be used at forward too

Goalies

Tucker
    Williams - has the edge right now IMO
    Edwards

Iconcup

12 Reasons Why I'm not the GM for the Raiders:

1. Tucker and Williams would have been named the two tenders by now
    so the other two would have a chance of catching on elsewhere.
    2. Balson would have been jettisoned. He looked better last year. In the
    intersquad game he was with Maylan and Herrod and still looked aweful.
    3. Herle at center during the intersquad? What a joke. There must be a better
    fourth line candidate.
    4. Yaworski needs to take his act somewhere else, he fights and loses and
    that's it. No hockey sense.
    5. Is Danyluk signed? If he isn't I'd be worried that he is doing what he needs
    to do to stay NCAA eligible i.e. ankle injury? No exhibitions...
    6. I'd worry why everyone wants to fight Maylan.... are there dressingroom
    issues?
    7. I'd sign and committ to Paslawski right now!
    8. I'd be talking up Bourhis a lot, cause it doesn't look like Fiddler is all that.
    9. I'd offer Bettauer a contract and an everyday spot in the lineup
    10. I'd teach Parker that there's only one puck on the ice and he needs to
    share!
    11. I'd sign Matt Berry-Lamontagna and suggest he find a nickname
    12. Find an emigration lawyer in Belarus to expediate Revenko's arrival

Quote Originally Posted by Raider Believer View Post
    12 Reasons Why I'm not the GM for the Raiders:

1. Tucker and Williams would have been named the two tenders by now
    so the other two would have a chance of catching on elsewhere.
    2. Balson would have been jettisoned. He looked better last year. In the
    intersquad game he was with Maylan and Herrod and still looked aweful.
    3. Herle at center during the intersquad? What a joke. There must be a better
    fourth line candidate.
    4. Yaworski needs to take his act somewhere else, he fights and loses and
    that's it. No hockey sense.
    5. Is Danyluk signed? If he isn't I'd be worried that he is doing what he needs
    to do to stay NCAA eligible i.e. ankle injury? No exhibitions...

6. I'd worry why everyone wants to fight Maylan.... are there dressingroom
    issues?
    7. I'd sign and committ to Paslawski right now!
    8. I'd be talking up Bourhis a lot, cause it doesn't look like Fiddler is all that.
    9. I'd offer Bettauer a contract and an everyday spot in the lineup
    10. I'd teach Parker that there's only one puck on the ice and he needs to
    share!
    11. I'd sign Matt Berry-Lamontagna and suggest he find a nickname
    12. Find an emigration lawyer in Belarus to expediate Revenko's arrival
    Danyluk signed last year

http://www.raiderhockey.com/news/rel...article_id=472

According to Greg Drinnan's blog, Eric Williams will be the backup to Tucker.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/