Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp 2010 - Surprising & Not So Surprising

Raiders down to 32 after Training Camp

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan – The Prince Albert Raiders will begin the Western Hockey League exhibition season this week with 32 players still on their roster after completing training camp yesterday afternoon at the Art Hauser Centre. They currently have 3 goaltenders, 11 defencemen and 18 forwards still on their pre-season roster.
    19 year-old Jamie Tucker is joined by two rookies, 17 year-old Eric Williams and 16 year old Brenden Fiebelkorn among goalies.
    On defence, 20 year-old’s Nathan Deck and Jordan Rowley lead a strong contingent. 19 year-old James Bettauer, 18 year-old Austin Bourhis and 17 year-olds Matt Waseylenko and Mathew Berry-Lamontagna are also still in camp. 15 year-old Josh Morrissey, the Raiders 1st round selection in the 2010 Bantam Draft will see some exhibition action. Other returnees include: 19 year-old Ryan Button, 18 year-olds Emerson Hrynyk and Tyler Yaworski and 17 year-old Harrison Ruopp.
    On the forward lines, 20 year-olds Colin Reddin and Igor Revenko are the veterans. Other returnees include 19 year-olds Andrew Herle, Brandon Herrod, Jonathon Parker, Justin Maylan and Sebastian Svendsen. The lone 18 year-old is newcomer Tyler Paslawski. 17 year-old forward Mark McNeill is the lone returnee among the younger forwards which includes other 17 year-olds Brock Balson, Marc MacKenzie, Todd Fiddler and TJ Constant along with 16 year-olds Chance Braid, Mike Winther, Shane Danyluk and Brent Lashuk. 15 year-old Luke Mahura, the Raiders 2nd round selection in 2010 also will see exhibition action.

Lashuk and Danyluk are both injured while Revenko is expected to arrive from Belarus later this week.

Players reassigned after the inter squad game yesterday were: goaltender Jacob Edwards (18), defencemen Connor Sutton (16), Sawyer Lange (16), Arvin Atwal (15) and Tyler Dea (15) and forwards Matt Dochylo (19), Tyson Dallman (17), Allen Kilback (17), Justin Lund (16), Colby Daniels (16), Jeff Kennedy (16), Regan Yew (15), Sebastian Auray (15), Braeden Farge (15) and Michael Lorange (15).

The Raiders open their pre-season hosting the Saskatoon Blades Wednesday at 7:00 PM at the Art Hauser Centre before taking on the Blades in Martensville Friday at 7:00PM. All pre-season games are broadcast live on Today’s Country 900 CKBI
    www.childrenswish.ca

Iconcup

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan15 View Post
    Edwards has already been released....I dont understand it but he has. The kid had a great camp and some whl team should be giving him a long look.What I dont understand is what Balson did to stay .... Beau Stewart played twice as well as Balson .
    I've already said that Williams is the guy so I'm not surprised by Edward's release. I'll even go further than that and say that by Christmas we might very well see Williams as the #1 netminder for this club!

As for Balson, I totally agree with you. Stewart did show more. Maybe Bruno is just giving him (Balson) one last chance to show what he's got in the exhibitions. IMO he is just way too slow and not engaged in the play enough. He seems almost disinterested at times, several times in yesterday's intersquad game he was 2 zones behind the play and making no attempt to catch up.

I am relieved that Danyluk is a signed player. I think he's going to be very exciting to watch in the years to come.

Attention: Raiderfan15, you jumped all over me about my earlier comments regarding Herle and Parker. Please look at last season's stats. Herle took a whole season to put up a total of 6 points! Parker had the worst plus/minus totals on the team! You can teach players how to PK and check. You can't teach them size, and its a lot tougher to teach hockey intelligence, scoring, skating. And yes I am concerned about size and grit. Despite Bruno's assertions that this team is going to be tougher ..... Winther, Danyluk, Svendson are not big men. You seem to have Winther and Danyluk playing very high up in the order. IMO they are going to get knocked around and injured a lot. Even our star vets are not that big and aggressive i.e. Herrod, Maylan, Revenko. That leaves McNeill and possibly newcomer MacKenzie if he makes the team as the only real power forward types.

Iconcup

Did I say Herle should make the team to play 1st line ? no I said that hes a great penalty killer and checker who cares if he had 6 points in that roll. And PArker was one of the best forwards all camp and I think if he plays 2nd line time will be a important part of the team. Last year he got pushed into a roll he was comfortable in forsure.And check your facts he was a -18 with Seatle last year and a PLUS 1 with the Raiders. The only forwards with a better plus minus were Herrod and Mccallum
    The problem with a guy like Parker is he's neither fish nor fowl. In other words, he's too skilled to be a fourth liner and not smart enough or reading the ice well enough to be playing the first two lines. He needs to define himself as a player. And yes, he does need to use his teammates way more.

Iconcup

Well its obviously personal since you cant call a spade a spade or give credit where it is due. Try explaining how he had that plus minus while never playing with Herrod or Mccallum while all other forwards were well in the minus side?
    Its not personal at all, he's one of the players I've never met. You have conveniently neglected to mention that in the 29 games he played here he had a grand total of 4 points. To be honest, I expect that Bruno will showcase him and then trade him by Christmas in order to get some of the younger guys playing higher up in the order.

Iconcup

He played 3rd and 4th line. And like I said its a roll he wasent used to. You didn't mention how you came on here saying he had the worst plus minus on the team when it was really almost the best among forwards
    I looked at his whole season rather than just the 29 games he played here with PA. In 40 games with Seattle he had 26 points and was a minus 18. His best season was as a 17 year old when he had 39 points in 65 games and was only -3. This past June he was eligible for the NHL draft due to his late '91 birthday.
    The tag on him from many of the scouts is that he didn't distribute the puck effectively. Hmmm... now that's what I said and you jumped all over me. I think he needs to define his game. I still think he was a good pick up for us and that Bruno did well to trade for him, but I think with his skill sets he can do a lot more. And it would be helpful raiderfan15 if every time a person disagrees with you that you would stop claiming that their point of view is motivated by personal issues.

NB* I have it on a very, very good source that Brock Balson despite a very weak camp will be playing on this team. Not a good thing IMO

Iconcup 2010 Starting Lineup & Depth Chart

Provisional Projected Lineup

Goalies:

Tucker
    Williams

Defense:

Button
    Deck
    Rowley
    Bourhis
    Bettauer
    Hrynyk
    Berry-Lamontagna
    Ruopp

Forwards:

Revenko
    Herrod
    McNeill
    Maylan
    Parker
    (the next 5 are interchangable on depth chart, depending on what you want)
    Danyluk
    MacKenzie
    Winther
    Svendsen
    Paslawski

Herle
    Fiddler
    Balson

*NB* Yaworski will be released or traded IMO. If Chase Braid makes the squad, and I think this is unlikely with two other 16 year olds in the lineup, then I suspect Herle may be released.

Chase Braid wont make the team. Unless he get tougher and not scared. Chase likes to hit but when push comes to shove he wont back it up. At the camp he was throwing his body around. But asked to fight to back it up he wouldn't his response was well... maybe.. I don't know.... well see...Then he would skate away.
    www.childrenswish.ca

Iconcup

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeyes View Post
    Chase Braid wont make the team. Unless he get tougher and not scared. Chase likes to hit but when push comes to shove he wont back it up. At the camp he was throwing his body around. But asked to fight to back it up he wouldn't his response was well... maybe.. I don't know.... well see...Then he would skate away.

I also would be surprised if Bruno kept 3 young 16 year olds in the forward corps.
    Who do you see being on the team at the end of the day? And how do you think they'll be used?

Who will be the big surprise this season?

anyone think trading button to free up a d spot wouldbe smart ?

How has Button looked this past weekend?
    He Shoots..He Scores!