Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: competition for jobs

Default competition for jobs

it seems like there is healthy competition for all jobs at this years camp.Do the Pats go with the same tandem between the pipes ? Do the Pats tighten up defensively,and go with some new blood on the back end? Is there any forward prospects that could make it to the starting line up when the season begins? It will be interesting to see where the Pats allocate positions for 20 yr olds.

Iconwhl

is #7 on team white the new swede Dman?

Also Sparrow better not make this team, he is so clumsy with the puck its pathedic. He isnt good enough to be a shut down Dman, he is decent with playing the body but i just dont see him making this team when there r other younger prospects who could do the same job & be given abit more leeway for making mistakes then a guy like Sparrow who has been around for a couple yrs now off & on.

Mitchell looks very good this year. Think this is finally going to be his break out year offensively. Anything less then 20 goals (altho 25 to 30 should be more like it) from Mitchell this year & i think he underacheives.

Well westcoast there is legit competition for jobs but I'm not sure if the competition is much better (in many cases) than what we have already.

With the goalie prospects at camp I think Guhle and Ketlo stay.... for now. Lang may be looking outside for some goalie depth. Although Hewitt has looked good I don't know if he has supplanted the returnees.

The defence.... in my opinion have 4 guys that will make it and the rest is pretty much a roll of the dice. Carlson, Davidson, Bell and Blidstrand are the top 4. After that it's anyone's guess.

With regards to the forward prospects the only one that is almost an absolute lock is Chandler Stephenson. Other than that the 16 year old crop is not super great (Balog and Logan were dealt away). Time will tell. The 15 year old crop is pretty good..... Klimchuk - WOW!

Although Mappin is the lone returning overager I think that Lang will be looking for 3 new ones to help round out the club. There are a few teams that have overage issues so look for Lang to try to land a couple (or three).

To answer your question patsdude.... yes Blidstrand is white #7.

I agree with you on Sparrow. There are a bunch of kids that are just as good as or better than him. Time will tell.

I so hope Mitchell can pot 25+ this year.... he's got the speed and the shot.... just needs the chance.

with the big wild card being the 20 yr old position.Where would you guys slot in the 3 twenty year olds that the Pats will have on their roster.Do the Pats pick the 3 best 20 players available or do the select 20 year olds based on a team need.It seems like all positions are open.However,teams dont normally go with a 20 year old goalie.Todd Mathews from the Kootney Ice is a stellar goalie and might be a good fit.What are some names of possible 20 year old players that would be a good fit in Regina?

To be honest.... the way the Pats are setup it would be an idea to pick up a overage goalie. That would basically mean that they would have to move Ketlo and or Guhle. But with that being said they really don't have a true prospect goalie that could come in and fir the "back-up" mold.... that is unless they go out and recruit a top end kid.

The second spot would probably be best to have on the back end. A big bruising defenceman that can mentor the kids.

The third spot I would hope to be filled by a skilled centre (preferably with some size) that could anchor the second line.

I really have no names to bandy about just due to the question marks with so many teams. I do agree that Todd Mathews would be a decent pick-up but with our system is he really any better than Ketlo/Guhle? I dunno.

I think that using a 20 for a goaltender would be a waste. I believe that Guhle is the guy.
    You want some names:
    How about Tyler Schmidt from TC? Big stay at home d-man from Winnipeg. But, TC only has 4 20's in camp and one is a Euro goaltender (a two spotter).
    Why not dream big and hope to bring a couple of guys closer to home.
    How about Fiddler from Calgary? Or Cruise from TC.
    But, to bring in any of these guys will cost some prospects and the Pats cupboard is not extremely deep.
    This GM's assets are limited because of past sins of the last GM. But, maybe he can work some magic. The Pats do have a couple of 17 year old d-man (Borstmayer and Friesen) that are marketable and maybe expendable. I guess that would depend on how some of the 16 year olds perform.

Iconwhl

ok kev here is a question for u....

Who is wearing #2 on the RED TEAM, that kid was a stud last night in the rookie scrimage game. I noticed he is wearing the Pats pants & gloves (which is my guess they r drafted by the Pats then as other kids just had there own personal gear) on he RED TEAM there were a few kids that really stood out #11 #15 #19 along with #2 on D

On the GREY TEAM i found there wasnt really a kid that stood out as much... #11 on GREY was pretty decent

I had to go last night during the VETS scrimmage after the 2nd period but i must say the collision between Mappin & Mitchell (in the 1st i believe) was great, looked like Mappin got the worst of it with a cut lip. Then towards the end of the 2nd period i seen Mitchell gave Mappin another good shot from behind into the boards, friendly battle?? or does Mitchell not like Mappin much?

Also i love it hot Hutt was matched up against Weal for faceoffs, made Weal look VERY good at faceoffs until Weal has to face Eakin lol I like Weal dont get me wrong but he isnt that strong on faceoffs for a centerman, hopefully a year older gives him more strength in the draws

RED
    2 Kyle Burroughs
    11 Brett Harris
    15 Chandler Stephenson
    19 Morgan Klimchuk

GREY
    11 Branden Halbgwechs

Now I'll get back to watching the rookie game.

Iconwhl

how old r these kids? if i remember correctly Stephenson can make the team this year....

arrgh i so want to be there right now watching... but cant til abit later on ill prob be taking in this evening stuff