Thread: Calgary-Blades Trade?

Default Calgary-Blades Trade?

First of all, don't shoot the messanger. Secondly, as we all know these trades are never true until in fact they are announced either by the league, or the teams involved.

This is only being posted to see what fans think about it and to spark up a discussion before it happens. Could be a period of time before it is announced if in fact it is.

To Calgary:
    Lukas Sutter
    Darren Dietz
    1st round 2011 bantam pick

To Saskatoon
    Jimmy Bubnick
    Matt Mckenzie
    2nd round 2011 bantam pick

Very interesting, not sure how I feel about this if it happens.

The Saskatoon 2011 1st round pick and the Calgary 2011 2nd round pick will probably be within 2 or 3 picks of each other. If I am Calgary, I would be looking at both of those picks to be from 2012.

I have never been too incredibly impressed with Bubnick. He is a great faceoff guy, but may not be better than what Saskatoon has at center now (from a skill standpoint), but I think he has a good chance of still being in the WHL next season as an overage player. MacKenzie is as solid in his own end as any defenseman in the league, and has a nice point shot. I don't think he will be back next season.

The draft picks seem a little sketchy, but I am sure at this point the Hitmen are looking to get a little younger at the expense of player(s) that don't have a future on their team, and Saskatoon would benefit, if nothing else from picking up MacKenzie. I think this rumor has some legs.
    Last edited by SectionNDeserter; 11-19-2010 at 11:55 AM.

At this point, it is strictly talk and really these things float around more often that what people think. I would suspect that there will be several teams knocking on Calgary's door about Matt Mckenzie come near the trade deadline. When you look at it, there are very few sellers atleast at this point. Calgary, Edmonton, Regina and Prince Albert would all have to play tremendous hockey to just come near making the playoffs. That said, it is hightly unlikely that the Blades will deal in their division thus ruling out players such as: Herrod, Button, Rowley, Ashton coming to the Blades. Therefore, you have to look towards Calgary or Edmonton. Edmonton doesn't really have too many upgrades for a Saskatoon Blades team this season to upgrade their 2nd line center position.

It isn't that Brent Benson can't do the job at center, cause he can. However, if the Blades have thoughts about winning their conference, they would likely upgrade their 2nd line and use Collins and Benson on the 3rd line for this year.

If the trade goes through I will eat my words but I really don't see why Calgary would make a trade such as this. The value is fair but this doesn't really help Calgary out present or future. Bubnick and MacKenzie would both be great overagers for Calgary next year, without those 2 guys leaves them with Ben Wilson, Reinbolt and Snider. With the recent aquisition of Glover I dont see Snider comming back as a 20 yr old goalie.

As for Sutter and Dietz in 2 years I don't see these 2 players been any better than Bubnick and MacKenzie are today. probably comparible at similar ages. I haven't been all that impressed with Sutter's overall work ethic. Dietz on the other hand will turn into a solid defensmen in the future.

As for the picks as stated earlier they become difference of about 5 picks max. basically a wash

I like the trade from a Blades standpoint but, I just can't see Calgary pulling this trade. They may not be in the playoffs this year but with good 20 yr olds they could be a playoff team and competitive next year for sure.

If this trade happens, it would give depth in the center position, three line ready for all situations. Dietz and Sutter will both be good players for a few years, and would add to calgarys future. this could be what we need to get over the hump in the playoffs, and get some people thinking we are more than a .500 team.
    ________
    Hotels In Mexico
    Last edited by lostsheep; 04-12-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Sorry dude, but I think that talking about possible trade scenarios is pretty gay.

We could sit here til we are blue in the face talking about a ja-billion trades with an infinite number of players. Just wait til they happen and discuss them then.