Thread: Thank You, East Division Fans!

Default Thank You, East Division Fans!

I have been back home since Sunday afternoon, but now that I am caught up on both work and sleep I wanted to take a moment to thank the people I met during the Everett Silvertips' East Division road trip from December 3-11.

The team went 3-2-1-0 during the trip. It could have been better (if we had stopped Saskatoon at the end of regulation) and it could have been worse (we nearly lost the end of the game in Brandon). The Silvertips penalty killing was vastly better during those six games than I had seen them the rest of the season beforehand. The Silvertips power plays were vastly worse than I had seen them the rest of the season beforehand. It was great to watch the team start with a 6-0 shutout... and on a Teddy Bear Toss Night (we know how that feels, Broncos!) as well as with a player getting a hat trick. The 4-0 defeat the next night was sombering, but a few of us were able to meet with former Silvertip (and top player of the night) Thomas Heemskerk after the game. The team looked totally gassed and uninterested during the final game of the trip in Prince Albert. But it was great seeing the Memorial Cup and Centennial Cup there, as well as some Raiders alumni.

The staff members at each location were top-notch. Every facility had its own unique distinction. I am glad we got an opportunity to see the infamous "Crushed Can" before the Warriors move to their new facility next season. We also made a point to check that facility out (at least the outside of it). It might give us an excuse to go back in two years. ;-)

For the most part, the fans at each location were also great. The most welcoming fans, in my opinion, were Broncos fans. The least welcoming fans, I would say by a sizable margin, were the Raiders fans. The fans that acted the most "American" were the Wheat Kings fans.

In regards to my comment about the Raiders fans, we did meet plenty of good, welcoming fans there but there were quite a few rude fans as well... much more so than anywhere else we went during the trip. In fact, several of the fans even refused to move from our seats when we first got there. Another wrote "F A G S" on the back of our vehicles... which I re-wrote to say "NICE FLAGS" on ours (as we had a Silvertips flag on the car). In Brandon, someone broke off one of the car flags and stole it. However, when we went to the Pub adjacent to the Canad Inn we met a lot of welcoming fans.

Some of us met members of the Saskatchewan Roughriders several times during the trip, both in Regina and Saskatoon, not even including during the Saskatoon game. We also met several family members and friends of current players and prospects, as well as several prospects. We even took in a SMAAAHL game.

We had a pre-game tailgate party prior to the Regina game. It was only -12C (+10F). As a part-time mountain climber I did not think the cold was bad, but the wind was brutal throughout the trip. That is what can kill a person... fast. I introduced our fans to 5-pin bowling, which we did in Regina and Saskatoon. They all seemed to enjoy it. The last day of the trip, my family and I flew from Saskatoon to Abbotsford... The temperature change went from -27C (-16F) to +13C (+55F). Wow! That was my largest single-day temperature change I have ever experienced.

If we ever go back, I would hope we would have enough extra time in the schedule to visit Winnipeg, check out at least one or two University hockey games, and check out some more midget hockey games.

Anyway, thanks to those who helped make our trip welcoming and friendly. We enjoyed meeting each of you. Perhaps we will go back in a few years. Perhaps we will see some of you following your teams when they visit the U.S. Division next season.
    Last edited by Redwic; 12-15-2010 at 10:27 AM.
    Redwic

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

BTW thanks for the brief chat + donation in SC . But did you have to bring the teddy bear toss curse to SC?

Hopefully you will come back in a couple of years, it is always nice to visit with other teams fans.