Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eakin Dealt to Ice

Default Eakin Dealt to Ice

From the WHL website

Sunday January 09, 2011

Swift Current, SK – Swift Current Broncos’ General Manager and Head Coach Mark Lamb has announced today that that the club has traded Broncos forward Cody Eakin for Kootenay Ice forward Christian Magnus, listed players Ryan Bloom, Jarett Zentner, Colby Cave and Steven Myland along with a 1st and 2nd round pick in 2011 and a 3rd round pick in 2012.

Magnus, the 5’11”, 174 pound forward from Saskatoon, SK is currently in his fourth WHL season. In 42 games played with the Ice this season, he has accumulated 17 points through five goals and 12 assists. Magnus is returning to the Broncos after originally being drafted by them in the 1st round, 9th overall in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft.

Bloom, the 5’10”, 171 pound forward from Calgary, AB has collected 21 points through seven goals and 14 assists in 20 games played this season with the Drumheller Dragons of the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL). In the six games he has played with the Ice, he recorded one point through one goal. Bloom was drafted by the Ice in the 2nd round, 37th overall in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft.

Zentner, the 6’2”, 190 pound forward from Red Deer, AB started the 2010/11 season with the Okotoks Oilers before joining the Calgary Mustangs of the AJHL. In 20 games played with the Oilers this season he has collected four points through two goals and two assists. In the seven games he has played with the Ice he has recorded one assist. Zentner was drafted by the Ice in the 4th round, 81st overall in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft.

Cave, the 6’0”, 170 pound forward from Battleford, SK is currently playing with the Battlefords Stars of the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League (SMAAAHL). In 30 games played this season, he has 10 goals and 10 assists for 20 points. Cave was drafted by the Ice in the 1st round, 13th overall in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

Myland, the 6’0”, 210 pound goalie from Cloverdale, BC is currently playing with the Valley West Hawks of the British Columbia Major Midget Hockey League. This season, he currently holds a1.64 goals against average and save percentage of 0.934. Myland was drafted by the Ice in the 10th round, 211th overall in the 2009 WHL Bantam Draft.

“Both Magnus and Bloom will bring depth to our team,” says Broncos Assistant General Manager Jamie Porter. “Zentner, Cave and Myland have all been playing strong for their respective teams and will be great additions to our organization as well.”

Eakin leaves Swift Current after four seasons with the Broncos. He was acquired in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft in the 1st round, 6th overall. In the last four seasons, Eakin has recorded 100 goals and 95 assists for 195 points in 212 games played.

“Eakin has been the best player to come to this team since Joe Sakic,” says Broncos General Manager and Head Coach Mark Lamb. “It’s a trade we didn’t want to do, but it’s the best thing for our hockey club in the long run.”

Both Magnus and Bloom will be joining the Broncos for Friday’s game against the Saskatoon Blades. Zentner, Cave and Myland will remain with their respective clubs.

The Swift Current Broncos Hockey Club would like to wish Cody Eakin all the best in his future endeavours.

Iconwhl

Nice return to the Broncos for there star player, so i guess its prob safe to say Dowling is next to be moved... doesnt make alot of sense to keep Dowling around. Dowling would be a great fit in Portland, since they have a empty 20 yr old spot.

With seven 19yr olds on the roster does SC maybe move a guy like Hoban, Vause or Peddle for a younger prospect & maybe a late round pick to ease there selection for next year with the 20yr olds?

Looks like Saskatoon will have to make there bed with Schenn if they can land him, cuz they already missed out on the #2 guy in Eakin.

Default wow

talk about overpayment . ice must really see something he never took S.C anywhere and did little scoring at world jrs. S.C fans be happy lol

Wow, Swift Current fans must be thrilled with their new upcoming prospects and picks. The fact that Magnus is the only player gone from their current roster suggests that Kootenay's thinking their team can take it.

Well, that leaves Kootenay out of the Schenn sweepstakes as their early picks and some great prospects are gone, which Brandon would want for sure.

4 bodies and 3 picks, that's quite the return. Must have been other competitive offers on the table for Kootenay to make the deal.

This has to be the biggest trade in team history. I can't recall any others being this monumental to the franchises history?

Wow 8 players for Eakin. Not bad at all, definitely have to give it to Lamb on this one.

Also I know that Kootaney has two first round picks (they have Van's in the Musil trade). I assume we have the Koo 1st, but do we know for sure which it is?

Now the question begs, and one can assume that Dowling is next. But are we going to run with this lineup for the rest of the way and would likely make it in as the 7-8th seed (we have beaten both Saskatoon and Med Hat without Eakin this week). Or does Lamb continue to blow up the roster for youth?

Quote Originally Posted by Toswammi View Post
    Wow 8 players for Eakin. Not bad at all, definitely have to give it to Lamb on this one.

Also I know that Kootaney has two first round picks (they have Van's in the Musil trade). I assume we have the Koo 1st, but do we know for sure which it is?
    I don't know for sure, but I believe it's Kootenay's original 1st round pick. I think they would've mentioned it if it was the pick from Vancouver. Again, just taking a good guess.

still need to address toughness issue and defense

Will any players get re-assigned? If theres so many 91's could we see a guy like Peddle getting re-assigned to junior A?.