Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendance figures need to change

Default Attendance figures need to change

I don't know if I should be posting this since I'm new to this site, but I not very impressed with the attendance all season thus far. I mean really, we are only getting an average of 4000 fans per game, expect for on special nights we just got 4124 on a Saturday against a team trying to catch us in the standings, Red Deer, we did win apart from all the drama, but still i don't see why you can't come out, maybe it's because of the world juniors and the popularity, maybe it's because of raised ticket prices. Oh sure everyone is complaning, but look at Calgary, they tickets are between $25 and $38 and they still get 9000 fans a game. I don't know what to think, what do you guys think?

Yep...tickets are too expensive,the team has not won nothing yet,the arena is in the middle of nowhere. Those are all excuses that people will make.

Which is why I hope we can land Schenn or Eakin because those players should attract people to the games and if that does not do it. I seriously do not know what will.

My twitter handle: @SaskHockeyFan23

I think the biggest thing is that the Blades don't do a lot of advertising around the city. Other than cabs, I don't see a whole lot advertising their product.

The Star Phoenix is part of the problem. Other than game recaps, they really have very few stories regarding the Blades. I'm not asking them to run a section on the Blades every day, but maybe write a few more articles every week about the team that aren't game recaps. And on game days? Just that ad at the bottom of the paper. I don't know, but since Doug McCona.. whatever his name is, retired, there hasn't been a lot of focus on the Blade

Another marketing point; The Blades need to do enough to appeal to the casual fan and families. Maybe every once in a while, offer a deal where if you buy one ticket, you get one free. That's great advertising for your product... costly, yes, but you may make that cash back later. And to appeal to families... Maybe create a deal where you get 4 tickets and concession stuff for a discounted price. If you think about it, a night out at a Blades game for a family could be 100+ bucks plus concessions.

The Blades will start to draw bigger crowds eventually, but deals like this might help sell more tickets during those Tuesday night games.

There's no reason for people not to go to the games, the team is in 1st place in the WHOLE league. Who cares if u gotta drive 20 minutes to the game, I drive 25 minutes to the game and 25 minutes back home, not a big deal and the ticket prices, wow 18 dollars isn't that much, least ur not paying 60-100 bucks to watch a bunch of AHLer's in what is supposed to be a NHL pre-season game.

Show ur support Saskatoon.

Iconwhl

Well im not sure how the advertiseing is in toontown but i know ur guys attendance has never been great even with solid teams like u have had the past few years....

as of right now the Blades are hardly avg more fans/game then the Pats are and the Blades are a much better team then the Pats. People in Regina have always supported the Pats no matter how bad they may be, when we have a good team (which hasnt happened for a few seasons now i know) a ticket at a Pats game is a tough ticket to find even if we only hold alittle more then 6,000..... its still more then what the Blades are getting now when they are 1 of the best teams in the league... Saskatoon just isnt a hockey town

I don't think your team is the only one suffering this year. Sounds like attendance is down across the league, I know it is in Bronco land foresure!! Some nights it really is embarassing!!! I think it's becoming a league issue not an individual market thing. Not sure why... best junior players in the world and a good economy (in this province anyway). Go figure...there is nothing else to do in S/C except go to Bronco games and attendance is down?!? I have no explanation.

1989 Memorial Cup Champions

i agree there should be more awarness around the city, there is no reason not to be able to get to a game. there are alot of fans that drive long distances (some as far as Lloydminster ). I sent an email the star phoenix once to see if i could out of my own pocket sponser a Blades calendar similar to the ones in the Edmonton sun for the oilers, I was told they run a todays happenings and that should work. I gave up. If there was a calendar people may be able to see future games and plan trips to the city and other events around so they can attend.
    ________
    Couples Webcams
    Last edited by lostsheep; 04-12-2011 at 09:03 AM.

i used to get more upset about the attendance.

fans in the city have, until recently, been treated to nothing but average at best teams, and more often than not awful teams. the attendance woes didn't happen over night, it erroded over 10 years.

a lot changed between 1995-2005.

the blades lost a whole generation of possible fans during that time, it'll probably take almost as long to get them back and even casually interested again. they're happier to sit in the comfort of their own home and watch a game on tv, go online, or gaming at home.

for all the awesome events the city has hosted, and all extremely well attended, world junior hockey championship, briers, vanier cup, etc., i think it has come partly at the expense of the every day, every week games (blades, huskies, hilltops). those every day, every week games aren't event enough anymore, because saskatoon isn't a sports town like regina is.

maybe a championship would change that for the blades, but a championship hasn't made a big difference in attendance for the huskies or hilltops.

the team does a lot of good things in the community geared to kids. they visit a lot of schools, participate in a lot of events, sponsor all the novice hockey teams in the city. those kids do come out to the games, and are the teams future.

what about the adults? how do they find out about games? maybe an article in the paper on gameday, maybe on the radio on gameday. lot's of excuses to not come out, it's too far to drive, too expensive, etc. the same excuses fans use for the blades, don't seem to deter saskatoon fans from going to rider games.

how's the saying. winning cures everything. maybe a long playoff run into the 3rd round or better would get the city's attention, and hopefully keep it.

First of all, attendance is not down across the league. There are a half dozen cities that have better attendance numbers this year compared to last, with Moose Jaw being 96% full for every game, the Blades are up something like 4%, mostly due to the theme nights they had.

Secondly, the Star Phoenix DOES do "human interest" stories about the Blades from time to time. Go to the Star Phoenix website, click on the sports tab then click on the Blades. You'll see what I mean.

Lastly, if people will drive from the ends of the earth to go see a Rider game, those same people will see the Blades. Once mid February rolls around, you will see attendance more. I think many people have seen the run they went on , and saw the team go on a bit of a losing slide towards the end. Maybe that gets them nervous about the playoffs and having them stay away. This years team has been pretty consistent though. It's not that the Blades are any better than last year, but the top teams from last year have gotten worse, and the up and coming teams like the Rebels and Warriors aren't anywhere near the Blades level as of yet. I am so glad to see Brandon and Calgary FINALLY go into the tank. It's about time!!!!

Winning cures all. And by winning I mean playoffs.