Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cody eakin coming to the Ice

Default Cody eakin coming to the Ice

from the Kootenay Ice website

Cranbrook, BC -- Jeff Chynoweth, General Manager of the Kootenay ICE Hockey Club, today announced the club has acquired 19-year-old Forward Cody Eakin from the Swift Current Broncos in exchange for 18-year-old Forward Christian Magnus and prospects Ryan Bloom (1993 Forward- Drumheller Dragons – AJHL), Jarett Zentner (1993 Forward - Calgary Mustangs – AJHL), Colby Cave (1994 Forward - Battleford Stars – SMAAAHL) and Steven Myland (1994 Goaltender - Valley West Hawks – BCMMHL) along with a first and second round draft pick in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft and a third round pick in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft.

“This was not an overnight decision and as an organization we have had ongoing discussions on how to improve our Hockey Club to challenge for a WHL Championship this season. We have acquired one of the WHL’s premier offensive players which will add offense to an already balanced team. To get a player the caliber of Cody Eakin you have to give up a lot and we feel we definitely stepped up to the plate and parted with very good players and very high draft picks. We appreciate the quality of people and players going to Swift Current and we wish them all the best in the future,” added Chynoweth.
    Scars are just tattoo's with better stories!

Default what a price !

This honestly has to be the highest price I have ever seen in all of hockey, including the pros. No wonder sc could not turn down this one. You have 8 chances to match his output, no wonder we have not seen any trades from the Canes at this point in time Best of luck to Kootenay if this does not put fans in their rink they need to move not only the team but the flipin arena

Default LOVE THE TRADE

The Ice gave up players who could not make the club this year and are 17 years old...The tender they gave up is third on the depth chart for prospects and not to mention the 1st rd pick wasnt even theirs,,,It was Vancouvers, so basically a 2nd 3rd which can always be re-aquired and Magnus....
    Better hope the jr.A players can make the jump or the Ice win that trade hands down

only if eakin actually does something if ice dont get out of the east its a high price

Quote Originally Posted by IceFan16 View Post
    The Ice gave up players who could not make the club this year and are 17 years old
    Cave is just barely 17 (turned 17 Dec. 26th), but would be playing in his 16 year old season had he cracked the veteran heavy Ice this season. He is only playing AAA midget this season because of his age.

The tender they gave up is third on the depth chart for prospects and not to mention the 1st rd pick wasnt even theirs,,,It was Vancouvers, so basically
    Goaltenders are sort of a crapshoot at that age. Vancouver's 1st rounder could end up being significantly better than Kootenay's, especially now that they have added Eakin.

a 2nd 3rd which can always be re-aquired
    And re-aquired with what? They traded most of their picks in the first 3 rounds, and most of their higher prospects...

Better hope the jr.A players can make the jump or the Ice win that trade hands down
    Is always the case with younger players and draft picks. Eakin hasn't exactly been durable throughout his career, bigger concern here might be how bad this trade looks if he has to get surgery for this or that.

Jeff Chynoweth is a shrewd business man and I don't think he would sell the farm unless he was sure that it was the right deal. I can still remember the Jaffray deal for Duncan Milroy and it ended up with a Memorial cup ring.
    Scars are just tattoo's with better stories!

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Cave is just barely 17 (turned 17 Dec. 26th), but would be playing in his 16 year old season had he cracked the veteran heavy Ice this season. He is only playing AAA midget this season because of his age.

Goaltenders are sort of a crapshoot at that age. Vancouver's 1st rounder could end up being significantly better than Kootenay's, especially now that they have added Eakin.

And re-aquired with what? They traded most of their picks in the first 3 rounds, and most of their higher prospects...

Is always the case with younger players and draft picks. Eakin hasn't exactly been durable throughout his career, bigger concern here might be how bad this trade looks if he has to get surgery for this or that.
    Good points...all of them! I do know that the Ice get the Broncos hardest working player night in and night out!! Hope the Ice go the distance, Eakin deserves that! He will be missed.

1989 Memorial Cup Champions

Eakin is the one player that I would have loved to have on the Rebels; not at that price however. That's an incredibly high price to pay. You have to think that there was at least one competitive bid on the table to end up like that.

Makes the Ice better, much better though.

Quote Originally Posted by trucker View Post
    Good points...all of them! I do know that the Ice get the Broncos hardest working player night in and night out!! Hope the Ice go the distance, Eakin deserves that! He will be missed.
    The hardest worker game in game out, seriously? I think he will pick up his game now, and has crazy talent, but wasnt the hardest worker in many of the games I saw. When Eakin wants to he can dominate, in any aspect of the game, offensivly, defensively, pp, pk, he is a very well rounded player.
    Always Remembered

Quote Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
    The hardest worker game in game out, seriously? I think he will pick up his game now, and has crazy talent, but wasnt the hardest worker in many of the games I saw. When Eakin wants to he can dominate, in any aspect of the game, offensivly, defensively, pp, pk, he is a very well rounded player.

Yes, seriously. His game had already picked up before he went the IIHF tourney, because he was back to health. If you can remember, he came back from the Capitals with an injury that nagged him for the first month. Doesn't mean he wasn't workin his hardest to what his health would allow.

1989 Memorial Cup Champions