For the first time as GM, Kelly Kisio found himself in sellers mode. He did have some attractive pieces but Kisio decided only to move 19 year old defenceman Matt MacKenzie.

In return, the Hitmen receive D Spencer Humphries, F Brooks Macek (both 18 year olds) and a conditional 3rd round pick from the Tri-Cities Americans.

Matt will be missed no question but I think it is highly unlikely that he returns for his OV year. In Macek, the Hitmen get a fairly skilled forward who did have a point per game last year but seems to have taken a step back this year, hopefully a change will do him some good. Kisio says Macek will get lots of time on the first power play unit and is immediately a top 6 forward for a team that has scoring issues. It sounds like Spence Humphries is more of a stay at home type of defenceman who likes the physical side of things.

Based on Kisio's interview with the Fan 960 (listen here)Kelly wasn't interested in other teams picks, because he is happy with the picks the Hitmen currenly have and because it sounded like he doesn't like where the Hitmen are at this year and wants to be much better next year. He goes on to talk about there are a couple of 18 year olds already in the system that should get a look next year.

Based on the fact that he didn't want picks, I think its a good deal for the Hitmen. I would guess most Hitmen fans will be disappointed in the return because of some of the other deals. The only disappointment for me is that Kisio didn't move Jimmy Bubnick and one of Foucault or Fiddler. In my opinion, Bubnick will be one of the Hitmen overagers next year.

Shortly after the trade Juraj Holly, Carter Berg and Brody Luhning disappeared from the Hitmen roster. I asked Hitmen pbp man Brad Curle over twitter the status of those players and here is Curle's response:
Carter Berg has returned to SJHL and Juraj Holly to Slovakia. Brody Luhning also returned to SJHL after Swift Current game.