Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: playoff poll

Default playoff poll

from Rod Pederson,s blog - Plenty of NHL scouts in the area feel the Regina Pats will indeed make the playoffs in 2011, snapping a two year drought. What an accomplishment that would be, given the projections of a 21st-place finish this year- what do you guys think?

Iconwhl

are they predicting that the Broncos &/or Oil Kings fail to make playoffs??

the way PA is playing lately they look to be a playoff lock easily.

lets not forget Lethbridge as well they are playing well too.

I do hope we sneak into the playoffs though even if we do get swept by the Blades 1st round its still playoff experience.

Default playoffs

I think the Pats are in tough to make the playoffs.Edm seems to have 7th spot or higher locked up.That would leave Regina battling with PA,Brandon,Lethbridge and Calgary could come on to make it an interesting playoff fight.Odds are against the Pats to make the playoffs as reaching .500 hockey seems to be a challenge

Personally, this is how I see the east shaking down.

6.Edmonton
    7.Prince Albert
    8.Swift Current
    9.Brandon
    10.Regina
    11.Calgary
    12.Lethbridge

I dont think we will catch Edmonton, as they are just too good. Great coached team. But the others are possibilities.

Some teams are on the decline, some are trending up. But it will also depend on which pats show up in the coming game though. The passive defensive hunt pats that we saw last night that were playing the perimeter all game last night wont make the playoffs.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by whlking View Post
    Personally, this is how I see the east shaking down.

6.Edmonton
    7.Prince Albert
    8.Swift Current
    9.Brandon
    10.Regina
    11.Calgary
    12.Lethbridge

wow man i swear every post u make must be after u have some alternative tabacco..... do u really think LETH is going to drop an 8 point lead up on CGY for last in the eastern conference?

haha ill bet a bag of alternative tabacco that, that doesnt happen. LETH would have to get a series of injuries to top players for this to even come close to happening... but i will say 6th 7th 8th look fairly accurate, but i truely feel LETH will be finishing 9th

bumpity bump

The race gets more interesting the closer to the end we get. Swifty continues to plummet, and even though Lethbrige is tied with us, they have lots of games vs top central teams to close the year. Not that either of those two are out of the race yet or anything, but they have a tougher route to a playoff spot than the others.

Brandon and PA sit in 7th and 8th, but both spots are very much up for grabs especially considering how often we all play each other. Though the pats have it pretty tough coming up. Lots of away games ahead of us including a 6 game roader. We also play Brandon 3 more times(twice @), swift + PA twice but no more games vs the canes. Worth noting we have 3 more vs MJ, a team we seem to often have trouble with. Again, two of the three are in their barn as well. We have to learn how to play on the road or we are in a deep hole after just the road trip.

Also worth noting we got a home n home vs saskatoon at the end. Normally its customary for teams to scratch some of their top players on the last game of the season, but it could be interesting to see what happens if we are poised to face each other in the post season.

....But thats a month away, and you cant get your hopes up or get ahead of ourselves yet. Have to win some games before we get to talk about that. Next game against PA is extremely important.
    Last edited by Some_Arrogant_Jerk; 02-13-2011 at 11:41 PM.

The Pats have surprised alot of people with their record at this point.They dont have a good schedule to close out the season.The trades made at the deadline changed the whole chemistry of the team.Regina picked up some hard working players ,and the team now believes that not only do they belong in a playoff hunt.They also believe that they can attain a playoff berth

Iconwhl

Since Xmas time the Pats have been playing there best hockey in the last 3 yrs (2 of which we missed the playoffs) 10-12 (with three 1 goal losses to LETH, MH, MJ) if we had been playing anywhere close to .500 hockey when we had more skilll in our line up (Ashton, Frazee) we wouldnt be in this situation were in now.

Its kinda sad to say the Pats have been playing there best hockey in the last 3 yrs (since xmas) & still have a lossing record of 10-12... just goes to show how badly Parker ran our teams when we had players such as Eberle, Teubert, Leffler & Strueby.

Strueby had 25g in 08/09 & 37 in 09/10
    Leffler had 33g in 08/09 & a disappointing 18g in 09/10
    Eberle had 35g in 08/09 & 50g in 09/10

Then throw in Weal & we had 4 very good forward & then also throw in Ashton at xmas time last season & make that 5 but yet missed the playoffs. This years team has less skill, but players who actually want to work & skate.

I remember last year when the Pats gave Jung a chance to play & everyone was thrown away with how fast he was on our team. He was by far the fastest player on the ice hands down last season with no 1 to even contend him for that (besides maybe Weal) now this year yes Jung is still our fastest (as i think he did win the fastest skater but could be wrong cant remember) but there are alot of other skaters that can keep pace with Jung.

pats got a little over 10 games left, most of which are on the road, and I think the next 3 or so will probably be a good indication what direction we are going...we either get our **** together, or we might end up pulling out of the playoff race early. One thing for sure is we have to play better on this road trip than we did at home the last few games. Like with last night, we were playing down to the level of the team we are playing against. We just cant do that again the next time we face them since they are supposed to be our easier games in comparison to other teams like the tigers that we play tonight.

...but if you ask me, though our future is still mostly in our own hands, PA and Brandon are both playing better than we are right now. Obviously that has to change if we are going to get a spot, whether it is their own play, or the other teams remaining on their schedule doing their part.

I mean, gosh, it would be swell for a change, since this is something the pats never seem to get when it counts. The last two years we always see two teams we chase getting SOL points(stands for two things) when they play each other, or teams with secure playoff spots playing their raw backups against the surging desperate teams we are racing against, etc...(of course followed by our own implosion, if it wasnt already evident)

However, the good news part for us is that barring any possible changes, SC and Lethbridge are starting to look like they will be non factors. SC is hitting new lows and Lethbridge has an unholy schedule ahead of them. Id be extremely surprised to see either of these teams getting the last playoff spot.