Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 20 Year Olds in 2011/2012

Default In Regards to Ketlow

Obviously i haven't seen him play as much as you guys but just keep this in mind....here in Red Deer several fans I spoke with last season were adamant that Kuemper would not be back as a 20yo...worked out pretty for the Rebs I would say.

Difference between Kuemper and Ketlo is that one unexpectedly came back from pro, while the other would unexpectedly have to just stay in the WHL.

Hewitt will probably be the starter next year, he has got most of the big games lately this season as it is anyways. Beukeboom probably will be the backup, or maybe Burgardt in the future.

Kuemper joined the Rebels, and in a matter of months unseated 'starter' Morgan Clark and sent him packing. From that point on, he has unquestionably been the starting goaltender. He struggled a bit in the stretch run, and was average in the post season, which led to speculation that he would be traded in the offseason were he not signed by Minnesota (which he still isn't).

From what I have read from Regina fans on this board, Ketlo's grasp on the starting job has been tenuous at best, with many of them having him all but shipped off at the deadline this season. I think the only way he is back, is if all of the goaltending prospects that Regina has look absolutely terrible in training camp.

Iconwhl

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    I think the only way he is back, is if all of the goaltending prospects that Regina has look absolutely terrible in training camp.
    To be honest i dont even think the Pats bring Ketlo to training camp, think they either trade him during the offseason if someone wants to take a chance on him or just make him a free agentfrom the get go.

Next season is year 2 of a rebuilding phase & it makes no sense at all to have a 20yr old starting/backup goalie (especially 1 of the talent of Ketlo) he is far from lights out, or 1 of the top goalies in the conference so no need to even waste time in the crease with a goalie who has no business being on our team.

He shows flashes of what he can be in this league & then follows it up with a soft game or 2. Hewitt without a doubt will be our starter next season, he is still having a learning curve as he becomes more & more of an everyday guy in this league.

Hewitt is pretty good IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SectionNDeserter View Post
    Kuemper joined the Rebels, and in a matter of months unseated 'starter' Morgan Clark and sent him packing. From that point on, he has unquestionably been the starting goaltender. He struggled a bit in the stretch run, and was average in the post season, which led to speculation that he would be traded in the offseason were he not signed by Minnesota (which he still isn't).

From what I have read from Regina fans on this board, Ketlo's grasp on the starting job has been tenuous at best, with many of them having him all but shipped off at the deadline this season. I think the only way he is back, is if all of the goaltending prospects that Regina has look absolutely terrible in training camp.
    I wouldn't call a GAA of 5.86 and a SV% of .806 in the playoffs average i'd call it terrible...lot's of people wondered if the Rebels should have brought him back or if Barnstable should have been the guy this year....personally I like Kuemper style of goaltending a lot more than Barnstable but that's just personally opinion.

Without having seen much of Regina's goalies (obviously!) I don't really know which would be the better choice for the Pats going forward imo you don't generally use a 20 yo spot on a Goalie

Iconwhl

Hewitt is by far the better goalie between him & Ketlo, our defense is weak which does expose both goalies at times. Hewitt just seems to battle for pucks better then Ketlo ever has, & his rebound control & how he plays the puck is much better Ketlo's as well.

Mind u since Ketlo has gotten hurt without that battle for the crease i have noticed Hewitt has struggled abit. From a early stand point with a backup who isnt really WHL ready, it seems like Hewitt has struggled without that competition for the crease. Maybe the Pats have to look at having a guy to battle Hewitt at all times for that crease, im not sure if Beukeboom will be ready to challenge the starter all season long. I guess we will tell more come training camp (which is still a long ways away).

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel_Rebel View Post
    lot's of people wondered if the Rebels should have brought him back or if Barnstable should have been the guy this year.
    Barnstable's numbers have always been below average, he just happened to enjoy some success in the shootouts (which has always been a weak area for the Rebels). I don't remember anyone that thought Barnstable would be back this season, and I was even surprised to see him in training camp to be honest. I did however hear some people talk about dealing Kuemper in the offseason for a younger, 18 or 19 year old goaltender, and running with that goaltender and Rakochy.

Without having seen much of Regina's goalies (obviously!) I don't really know which would be the better choice for the Pats going forward imo you don't generally use a 20 yo spot on a Goalie
    I know the few games I saw Ketlo in against Red Deer when he was a 17 year old made me think he was a fantastic goaltender, but I think those must have been the flashes of what he could have been that Patsdude114 was talking about.

yeah it's weird sometimes how guys look like they are gonna be stars but then never really pan out....Goal is probably the hardest position to project, especially in the WHL where the players are still very young, 17 to 20 and most goalies don't seem to really hit their stride until they are a little older....with some exceptions of course.

Are you high

Neigum might be a minus 30 but if you knew the whole story youd see the team infront of him. And poor Schneider isn't great in the dzone but plus minus is a terrible stat. our simplest breakdowns lead to goals against...

Guys like Neigum who log a lot of crucial minutes are going to such up the odd minus...we dont exactly have an allstar team