Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: 2011 WHL Draft

Thanks Stuck.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuck in the Penalty Box View Post
    The WHL powers-at-be will be making a decision this month to whittle down the list of bidding teams by one or two. There are five teams (Calgary has withdrawn) bidding for the Mem Cup. PG, RD, Kel, Sask, Leth. They will likely trim down to 3 or 4 left to make the formal bids. Consensus being that PG will likely be dropped and maybe one other. I would not be surprised if the Hurricanes were dumped also, as there are two major concerns.....the weakness of the team over the last two seasons, a young team again this coming season, improving for 2012-13 but not enough to be at or near the top of the league, without making huge deals (not Preston's approach). Considering what was given up for Eakin and Schenn....not going to happen here. The other concern is the financial situation and season ticket base.

If the Hurricanes are not going to get the bid for those reasons, then I hope they get cut in June. It takes a lot of man-hours and money to prepare a formal bid. I really think it will come down to RD and Sask. Private ownership, solid teams, strong season ticket base.

I think Leth lost any chance when Red Deer put their bid in. They will likely have a contender for a team, have never had the cup and have a good fan base. Kelowna had the Mem Cup in 2004 and Toontown just had the WJC, so it is realistically looking good for Red Deer.

When and where is Hurricanes Rookie Camp?
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Default Rookie camp

They have not had a rookie camp for I believe 3 years now. The simply bring mainly the players of their 50 man roster and any other prospects that they do not have on their list as well as some of the US prospects who did not get drafted who decide to show up at camp after the invitation. Sucks but I believe the same thing is planned this year, the only good thing is I believe they will be in the Enmax rather then Adams

Quote Originally Posted by grainbear View Post
    They have not had a rookie camp for I believe 3 years now. The simply bring mainly the players of their 50 man roster and any other prospects that they do not have on their list as well as some of the US prospects who did not get drafted who decide to show up at camp after the invitation. Sucks but I believe the same thing is planned this year, the only good thing is I believe they will be in the Enmax rather then Adams
    You are right about the rookie camp Grainbear. Main camp will be held the first part of September, but unfortunately it will be at Adams once again Another year of not getting to start the year in our own barn.

Default Last time....

Quote Originally Posted by hockeygurl1976 View Post
    You are right about the rookie camp Grainbear. Main camp will be held the first part of September, but unfortunately it will be at Adams once again Another year of not getting to start the year in our own barn.
    We as fans had to put up with the pre-season camps at Adams, but think of the players and training staff having to set up there and not being able to work out of a proper facility. Besides, the wait for the Enmax to be completed is worth it. This is the last pre-season camp out of their "home".

Hurricanes no longer in the running for hosting the 2013 Mem Cup.
    Surprised? Not really!
    The team is uncompetitive annually. A lousy team, IMO, is what sunk the bid.
    Either that or poor attendance numbers.
    I would think perhaps 2016 is more realistic anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Spy View Post
    Merkley is a better two-way player than Klimchuk and was last year in bantam with the Bisons who made it to westerns.

Merkley is a very fluid skater and a pass first type of player. Possibly a future captain.

Interesting to note that Merkley`s younger brother had an outstanding rookie bantam year with the Bisons and should make noise for the 2012 WHL bantam draft. His name is Nick Merkley.
    Bump
    Doing a little draft research and came across this gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
    Alberta Cup thoughtsisclaimer (I don't claim to be a scout)
    Brycen Martin-reminds me of Jay Bouwmeester. An absolute difference maker. Tall, great skater, offensive imagination, with some nastiness.
    Reid Duke-alot like Carter Ashton in many ways. Competive, skilled, big, and shows he wants to win.
    Tanner Mcmaster-smooth offensive player. A bit undersized but that shouldn't hold him back.
    Brayden Point-made me think of Brendan Gallagher. Small with plenty of skill, heart and unafraid of anything.
    Conner Blaeckly-made me think of Dwight King. Kind of that big, skilled, secondary type point producer.
    Cavin Leth-much like Dwight King again but a tier lower than Blaeckly.
    Gonek- a big skilled Dman that is in a tier lower than Martin.
    Ty Mappin- fast and skilled with a real offensive mind. A real pure offense guy!
    Blake Penner-my favorite player I saw besides Martin. A winner/assasin. He showed he could play small and big. Slips through tight areas and also could initiate contact. Skilled and really confident look about him.
    Tyler Wong-really don't get how this guy produces. He's slow, seems uninterested and never initiated contact yet at the end of the game he has 2 or 3 points. I just don't buy what he's selling.
    Riley Simpson-Captian of the Bruins team. Absolutely loved him. He doesn't dazzle you but he gets it done. I could see this guy being a captian on a winning team. He has so many intangibles.
    John Quenville-big, skilled, offensive. Liked him but not completely sold on him.
    Evan Polei- another player I felt was under the radar but I would put him high in the rankings. I think this kid has a real high ceiling.
    Mackenzie Bauer-far less than I had hoped. He really was invisible at times
    Kyle Pauls- felt the same about him as I did with Bauer. I'd hoped for so much more.
    Jake Dube- a real solid guy. In that second tier with Gonek.
    Derek Mazil- really was left dissapointed with him. I was really looking forward to seeing him donminate but it seemed like weak goal after weak goal for a poor team.
    Ben Thomas- second teir Dman again but behind Gonek and Dube. Many scouts drooled over him. I didn't get it.
    Sam Young- captian of the Northstars. Liked a lot about him. Seemed to not have that Wow factor though. Similar to Simpson but just not at Simpson's level. Saw some Carter Bancks in him.
    Jonny Hogue-kid was a showstopper puckstopper. Had a great tourney.
    Anyway, just some scattered opinions. So many great young players.
    Top 7,in Alberta
    Martin
    Penner
    Duke
    Simpson
    Mappin
    Blaeckly
    Polei
    MacMaster and Point are very good but how they do at the next level being smaller will be interesting to see.
    Okay, now I'm done. Haha
    Wanted to bump this post just to draw attention to Evan Polei. He's really become a very useful player for Red Deer in his 18 year old season. Can score and not many want to tangle with him. Saskatoon gave up on him way to soon and shipped him to Red Deer.