Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 119

Thread: 2011 WHL Draft

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lethbridge, Alta
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Thanks for the info Hockey Spy. A couple of them sound like players I hope the Canes draft this year. Preston said he'll "likely" take one Fwd and one D-man with the first two. Pilon and Virtanen?? They sound good! With the details you mentioned about Simpson and Oleksyn, those must be the pre-season ISS rankings eh? With the size factor, I wonder if ISS's scouts are using more pro-NHL ratings as opposed to pro-WHL...
    If you aren't one yourself, you must know a number of scouts, you sound very knowledgable with the Bantam crops! I don't get to see the players from outside of Alberta much. Reid Duke looked great when I saw him but that's just in one province. Virtanen from BC and Pilon from Sask also sound great!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Spy View Post
    One player who could be taken high that isn`t on this list is Taylor Fisher from Winnipeg. If his skating would improve he`d be a force. Led all Winnipeg bantam dmen in scoring and is 6`2 220lb already. I`m also a bit surprised they don`t have Ryan Gropp on the list from Kamloops.
    Wow - I was a good size back in grade 9 but no where near 6'2 220lb!! Unreal!

    Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    Do you have a link to that list? Was Merkley on the list?
    .
    No, I just saw it in their NHL prospects magazine last week. He was the only WHL area kid named for the 2013 draft, one of just 3 guys they named. Obviously a long ways away from now though!

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Spy View Post
    Merkley is a better two-way player than Klimchuk and was last year in bantam with the Bisons who made it to westerns.

    Merkley is a very fluid skater and a pass first type of player. Possibly a future captain.

    Interesting to note that Merkley`s younger brother had an outstanding rookie bantam year with the Bisons and should make noise for the 2012 WHL bantam draft. His name is Nick Merkley.
    Do you think Merkley was a valid pick at #3 overall? Just asking and not insinuating anything.
    The Draft Lottery is in just a few days. Pat S. has good coverage of the lottery etc on his blog:
    http://www.canesbroadcaster.blogspot.com/
    .
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 03-21-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

  3. #13

    Default Lottery odds for the Canes

    The Canes (thanks to Regina) have a 19.1% chance of getting the 1st overall pick, and a 33% chance of moving either their own pick or Regina's pick up 2 spots. There is only a 14.3% chance that the Canes own pick gets bumped back and a 9.5% chance both of our picks drop down 1 spot. The odds we end up with the following scenarios:
    .
    1st and 4th...19.1%
    2nd and 4th...14.3%
    3rd and 4th...52.4%
    3th and 5th...4.7%
    4th and 5th...9.5%
    .
    The odds we stay where we are at, or move up in the lottery are 86%. The odds that we lose ground are only 14%. Pretty much a can't lose situation for the Canes. Let's hope for the scenario where we get the 1st and 4th overall picks.
    .
    .
    Last edited by HURRICANE'S ROCK; 03-22-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Lethbridge
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

    Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

  5. #15

    Default Lottery

    Lottery In:

    Calgary
    Swift Current
    Regina
    Kamloops
    Lethbridge
    Seattle.

    Couldn't get a break here either

  6. #16

    Default

    Well Kamloops got the ball, so that leaves us with the 5th pick that kinda sucks.
    GO CANES GO!

  7. #17

    Default

    Well, you guys will also get the 3rd overall pick. So two picks in the top 5 isn't bad. The last team to have 2 lottery picks was Saskatoon and they took Duncan Siemens and Brent Benson.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lethbridge, Alta
    Posts
    566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Spy View Post
    Well, you guys will also get the 3rd overall pick. So two picks in the top 5 isn't bad. The last team to have 2 lottery picks was Saskatoon and they took Duncan Siemens and Brent Benson.
    Yes, 3rd and 5th overall - not too bad of a consolation prize for the season! Merkley and Klimchuk went 3rd and 5th last year, so the Canes should get two more guys of high skill!

    Remember that even Eakin went 6th in his draft year!

  9. Default Two top picks

    Hey RIDERMANget your facts straight. The Hurricanes have their 5th pick and Regina's 3rd pick. I would bet that every team in the WHL would love to be in the Hurricanes position for the draft.

    OK.....First choice: A high scoring-speedy-skilled forward (Boychuk-Smith-Ritchie type)
    2nd Choice: A big strong puck moving D-man that has a cannon for a shot, plays a bit mean, and can quarterback the powerplay. (Brent Seabrook type)

    Or does Preston try and make a deal with Regina to get Klimchuk to play along side of Merkley?

  10. #20

    Default

    ya I do realize now I screwed up and forgot about the Regina trade which gave us 3rd as well. Now lets see what RP does with it.
    GO CANES GO!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •