Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 WHL Draft

1. Default Wong???

Tyler does have an upside to his game, and that is his offensive skills. In talking with the Hurricane Brass at one time during the AB Cup, they do seem to like him, but figure he might be a later round pick. As for the States they do have their eye on a couple of players. Nothing wrong with taking someone from the States. Emerson Etem certainly was a find for the Tigers. Besides, I would rather take an American (that has been scouted), in the draft that can play the North American game, speak English, rather than a Euro who at best is a hope and prayer pick and costs the club money. Kootenay and Tri-Cities have both gone the non-Euro route and they are very successful.

Chow for now!

Did you really just say 'chow for now' when discussing Tyler WONG? That's sort of like saying 'see ya later' to Stevie Wonder.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

www.westernelitehockeyprospects.blogspot.com

Go here if you want anything bantam related...blog and newsletter which ranks the top 200 for 96 born and the top 75 for 97 born and interviews in each issue. Out every 2 weeks.

Default Bocephus Dreaming

Hurricanes trade one of (Ryckman, Johnston, Kiziuk, Oslansk), the 26th, and the 29th to either Kamloops, Everett or Seattle for another top 7 pick in the draft. Maybe even two of those guys and just one pick.
    I think that 4 19's on D is an issue going forward.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Spy View Post
    www.westernelitehockeyprospects.blogspot.com

Go here if you want anything bantam related...blog and newsletter which ranks the top 200 for 96 born and the top 75 for 97 born and interviews in each issue. Out every 2 weeks.
    I don't think I would support this as my spidey senses tells me its got Pirate's(from the white board) finger prints all over it. The Guy leaves a bad taste in my mouth just from his posts on that message board.

6. Default Defense....Defense!

Looking at the "d" for the Hurricanes, you are right Bocephus (geesh did I say you were right?) Having 4-19 year olds going into another rebuilding year (7-8 or more new faces), I think Preston will have to reduce that number in order to balance the OA picture for the 2012-2013 season. Also he needs to make room for the younger d-men that will make this team. Of the 4 you mentioned, I for sure would keep Johnson as he has improved, gotten tougher to play against and when allowed to use it, has a great shot from the point. Preston is pretty well stuck on Ryckman (Lord only knows why), which means you could move Kiziuk and Oslanski. That would give him 2 potential OA d-men to choose from in the following season.

Good on Kootenay Ice for sweeping the Blades and the Tigers (got to love that one). But what surprises me is their home attendance. the Rec Plex holds 4200, for game 3 of the Hat series they had 2900 and for game 4 they had 3400. That must drive Jeff Chynoweth nuts. (maybe a move to Chilliwack)..but better still. Sell the Ice to Chilliwack, and then buy the Hurricanes. Then we will eventually have a year to year competitive team.

Chow for Now!

I don't think it would be a good idea to trade all that for another pick in the top 7. The players you can get with your 26 and 29 overall picks are very similar to some of the players you can get at that high. There is a bit of a drop off after the top 7 or so in the draft and the talent is pretty steady to around the 35th overall pick.

Martin - Calgary
    Pilon - SC
    Virtanen - Lethbridge
    Gropp - Kamloops
    Thomson - Lethbridge

There is a rumour that Lethbridge wants to try to trade up to the #1 overall pick and take Martin. If that happens then this gets blown out the window but barring trade, this is the likely scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuck in the Penalty Box View Post
    Looking at the "d" for the Hurricanes, you are right Bocephus (geesh did I say you were right?) Having 4-19 year olds going into another rebuilding year (7-8 or more new faces), I think Preston will have to reduce that number in order to balance the OA picture for the 2012-2013 season. Also he needs to make room for the younger d-men that will make this team. Of the 4 you mentioned, I for sure would keep Johnson as he has improved, gotten tougher to play against and when allowed to use it, has a great shot from the point. Preston is pretty well stuck on Ryckman (Lord only knows why), which means you could move Kiziuk and Oslanski. That would give him 2 potential OA d-men to choose from in the following season.

Good on Kootenay Ice for sweeping the Blades and the Tigers (got to love that one). But what surprises me is their home attendance. the Rec Plex holds 4200, for game 3 of the Hat series they had 2900 and for game 4 they had 3400. That must drive Jeff Chynoweth nuts. (maybe a move to Chilliwack)..but better still. Sell the Ice to Chilliwack, and then buy the Hurricanes. Then we will eventually have a year to year competitive team.

Chow for Now!
    Ya I cant see them keeping 4 19 yr old D-men either... although Preston seems to usually do things I dont understand...

So with these 11 guys that I know of... 2 or 3 likely wont make the club next year... LD: Ryckman, Jackson, Machacek, Henry, Hak, Topping, and RD: Johnson, Oslanski, Kiziuk, Hulit, and Erkamps... I believe either a) Preston will send both 16 yr olds back to Midget, or b) Preston will do the smart thing and get rid of 2-3 of the 19/20 yr olds (including Machacek)

As for Jeff Chynoweth buying the Canes, thats interesting since I believe his son played bantam AAA and midget here the last couple years, right? And rather than the Ice going to Chilliwack, why not send the Canes there and then bring the Ice to southern Alberta?!

I also noticed the Ice had terrible attendance for game 3 as well in Cranbrook, I was shocked before I realized that the Canucks game was on at the same time... too bad the Ice couldnt have rescheduled.

9. Default Development..

This league is supposed to be about development. Something Preston has not done much of with his players. He will only be able to play so many 16yr olds (Merkey should be one for sure). Topping and Erkramps will likely be part of the young group on the blue line. I doubt that Mahachek will be back as an overage. For a couple of reasons. Preston needs to get the young blueliners into the lineup and play them regularly as they will be the future of the blue line. Secondly, if the Hurricanes get Sutter, Braes and Fyten back that will seal the fate of Mahachek.

As for the attendance at the last game of the Ice-Tgers series, with the Canucks on tv that night it certainly would have some impact, but.....attendance in Cranbrook all season long has been a problem. Hurricanes to Chilliwack---Kootenay to Lethbridge? Sounds good, but I would like to see someone come in (like Chynoweth) who will take this franchise and rebuild it into what it should be. Plus it would be easier for the league to handle rather than two shuffles.

Quite frankly as I have said before, if the day ever comes that the Hurricane franchise can be sold........I think it would be in the best interests of the franchise that it be sold to non-local owners. Loyalties in this city divide the hockey community time and time again. As we have all seen.

Chow for Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuck in the Penalty Box View Post
    Quite frankly as I have said before, if the day ever comes that the Hurricane franchise can be sold........I think it would be in the best interests of the franchise that it be sold to non-local owners. Loyalties in this city divide the hockey community time and time again. As we have all seen.
    Can you just imagine the screams of rebellion if the Hurricanes were sold to Sakamoto and a certain Sutter. Get your earmuffs!