Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coaching

Default Coaching

Is the coaching a problem?

Seems when it comes crunch time the men behind the bench had no answers and it showed. Coaches caught on tv appearing to have a "I dont know what to do" with a "neither do I" type conversation leaves one wondering.

Flat out the Blades were outworked in this series. However I also think the coaches were outcoached and looked like amateurs out there. Asside from mixing up lines there really was no change in attack or strategy. When things are not working you have to be able to adapt or you get swept like this. Pretty simple.

What are your thoughts guys?

I don't know exactly, I have only lived in the city for three years, so my opinion might be bleak, I don't think I could Lorne not coaching our team, if its his time to go............, I don't think it would happen.....but...........

Thats hard to answer, after a few very good seasons, and considering what he started with, Lorne has done a good job. He's only 1 game below .500 in the playoffs but sometimes thats not good enough. I dont like when coaches take the fall for thier teams not showing up. You can not tell me that our top two lines played as they can. There should have been more than enough drive there to motivate with out having to be told to be ready. The PA series should have woke the boys up. As a GM lorne took a chance on a player who was said to be the game breaker, but that fell through. Schenn will be remembered for what we will loose in the draft and the two prospects we gave up for him. Looking at that and what kind of season we had going would any of you done it different? Its all hind sight now. Maybe its time for a breather and time away to reflect on what went wrong and try to figure out why?

I agree with all you said to a certain extent. I too am very much against putting blame on coaches as they can only do so much to affect the outcome. Their job is to prepare the players for the opponent essentially. They put the systems in place that the players themselves have to execute to be successful.

Now that all said....clearly something was off in the 2nd round and even the 1st round to an extent. Flat out the systems that were put in place were not working well in rd 1 and they were completely out to lunch in round 2. Where my concern lies is that there didnt seem to be any adjustments made. It seemed like they took a stay the course type mentality and eventually it might work.

I would love to have had a mic on the bench to be able to hear the convo between Lorne and Struch in game 3. It literally looked like they were saying to each other I dont know what to do. If that is in fact the case....THEY gotta go. I understand frustration sets into the players. But as coaches they have to fight through that with the guys. To see them throwing their hands up in the air in game 3 it seemed they might as well have thrown in the towel for the whole team.

Bottom line this team HAD the talent to do great things in the post season as proven by their incredible regular season. Something went wrong clearly....and one has to wonder what all was going on in the Blades room.

All speculation asside....the ultimate result is a Regular Season Champ team gone in the 2nd round without a fight. Somewhere someone has to be accountable for that and given the appearance of what we seen as much as I dont like to say it....for me it would be Lorne. The guys playoff record speaks for itself....he simply cant get his teams anywhere in the post season.

With regards to the trade....I think I can safely say anyone of us would have wanted to get Schenn on this team. Would all of us have paid the price Lorne did? Not a chance but given what Kootenay gave up for Eakin he had to in order to land Schenn. TBH I think we could done just as well trying to land a guy like Glennie from Brandon or perhaps going even off the chart a bit and trying to approach Regina for a player like Weal. Glennie could have came cheaper and Weal could have as well with longer return on the back end.

Again all speculation and hind sight but something flat out isnt right in Blade land and to see a talented group gone so soon the question has to be asked.

Maybe its time for our GM to be just a GM? Can Struch step up? After what i saw of his powerplay this year, very weak for the first half of the year i would wonder. The system worked all year and yes there has to be back up plans and plays that can be used. So who would be suitable replacements, im not comfortable losing Lorne just yet, he seems to be able to pick good players who play well when inserted in to the line ups. Collins and Trask fit right in and so did Cox. And what would attract a coach to saskatoon? a team that possibly will slide in the standings, with a couple of tough years ahead in the drafting department. Im sure our scouting staff is up to the task but it will be a challenge for sure.

Well I think if they are truly serious about the Mem Cup bid they better do something. Lorne as a GM ok....but as a coach I would say not. Struch's coaching of the PP shows he isnt ready either id say. Maybe bringing in a Willie D or Clousten like a few others suggested is what we need to do. Lorne has done a good job building the team to be successful for the reg season as proven by the past 3 yrs. But obviously he isnt the guy for the job come playoff time.

Just my thoughts.

sound logical to me. so who is available as a coach, junior or nhl. and what qualities would that person have to posess to put us over the hump. I agree that there needs to be some changes for sure, just not sure where to start?

going to be some tough questions this off season no doubt. at minimum molleken has to stay as gm and director of hockey operations. remember what things were like before his return? no one wants that back.

Quote Originally Posted by auch07 View Post
    I agree with all you said to a certain extent. I too am very much against putting blame on coaches as they can only do so much to affect the outcome. Their job is to prepare the players for the opponent essentially. They put the systems in place that the players themselves have to execute to be successful.

Now that all said....clearly something was off in the 2nd round and even the 1st round to an extent. Flat out the systems that were put in place were not working well in rd 1 and they were completely out to lunch in round 2. Where my concern lies is that there didnt seem to be any adjustments made. It seemed like they took a stay the course type mentality and eventually it might work.

I would love to have had a mic on the bench to be able to hear the convo between Lorne and Struch in game 3. It literally looked like they were saying to each other I dont know what to do. If that is in fact the case....THEY gotta go. I understand frustration sets into the players. But as coaches they have to fight through that with the guys. To see them throwing their hands up in the air in game 3 it seemed they might as well have thrown in the towel for the whole team.

Bottom line this team HAD the talent to do great things in the post season as proven by their incredible regular season. Something went wrong clearly....and one has to wonder what all was going on in the Blades room.

All speculation asside....the ultimate result is a Regular Season Champ team gone in the 2nd round without a fight. Somewhere someone has to be accountable for that and given the appearance of what we seen as much as I dont like to say it....for me it would be Lorne. The guys playoff record speaks for itself....he simply cant get his teams anywhere in the post season.

With regards to the trade....I think I can safely say anyone of us would have wanted to get Schenn on this team. Would all of us have paid the price Lorne did? Not a chance but given what Kootenay gave up for Eakin he had to in order to land Schenn. TBH I think we could done just as well trying to land a guy like Glennie from Brandon or perhaps going even off the chart a bit and trying to approach Regina for a player like Weal. Glennie could have came cheaper and Weal could have as well with longer return on the back end.

Again all speculation and hind sight but something flat out isnt right in Blade land and to see a talented group gone so soon the question has to be asked.
    Glennie was not available as he was asked by Kelly McCrimmon if he wanted to be traded to a contender or stay, and he wanted to stay. I never heard if Schenn was asked the same question, but I think he probably was and I guess he got what he asked for...not sure if he asked for Saskatoon or L.A. though.

I heard that Cory Clouston may end up coaching back in the dub, maybe he could be a replacement. thoughts??