Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Canes Mem Cup bid is dead.

Default Canes Mem Cup bid is dead.

The league announced today it is now between the Rebels, Blades and Rockets. The league probably had real issues with the quality of team we would have in 2013.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Default nothing to do with the team

This is all about the inabilty to put fans into the rink. Nothing more nothing less, Untill our residents get off their duffs spend the bucks and support a team in the highs or lows like the Hat we will never get the opportunity

Let's move forward. This is a positive in the long run. The brass can now keep this young talent and develop a winning brand with for years to come. I wasn't to keen on a short term goal like hosting the MC. Let's build for the long haul and win our way in. Take this snub and use it as a poitive and build a juggernaut that other cities will envy. Caldwell posted the Canes prospects today. Pretty impressive list moving forward. Now to develop those prospects!
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

Makes me sad. Lethbridge was the first place I watched WHL hockey and I was really hoping they would be able to put together a bid. However I have been to the odd game the last few years and have definitely been discouraged by the fan turnout and involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by grainbear View Post
    This is all about the inabilty to put fans into the rink. Nothing more nothing less, Untill our residents get off their duffs spend the bucks and support a team in the highs or lows like the Hat we will never get the opportunity
    It has something to do with the team.....that's been outlined by people over time. The bid committee has to feel confident that you could build a solid team by 2013.

So no, it's not just about being able to get the fans....

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Makes me sad. Lethbridge was the first place I watched WHL hockey and I was really hoping they would be able to put together a bid. However I have been to the odd game the last few years and have definitely been discouraged by the fan turnout and involvement.
    Just as you have only been to the 'odd' game over the last years, so have other have fans. If everyone has the same attitude that they only go to a few 'odd' games, then no one wonder there are no real true fans. If you feel discouraged by the fan turnout and involvement, don't blame your neighbour -- look in the mirror.

7. Default Two black marks

There were two big factors going against the Hurricanes bid. They have both been mentioned but in seperate postings. As Ron Robison said in a radio interview a long time ago, the prime factor was the quality of the team. The Hurricanes are more than a season and a half away from a top notch contending team. Secondly, the fan support (season ticket base) has dropped each of the last two seasons. Certainly the construction of the Enmax has had an negative affect. But had the team been winning, fans would have put up with the inconveniences posed by the construction. This city has a horrible reputation for supporting only winners. Yes we want the losing to end and to be competitive season in and season out. But this team has to be built through drafting and developing players. Also, I think there is a prejudice against community owned teams by the rest of the owners. Therefore their chances of ever hosting a Mem Cup are next to nil.

Chow for Now!

Quote Originally Posted by 2speak4all View Post
    Just as you have only been to the 'odd' game over the last years, so have other have fans. If everyone has the same attitude that they only go to a few 'odd' games, then no one wonder there are no real true fans. If you feel discouraged by the fan turnout and involvement, don't blame your neighbour -- look in the mirror.
    The difference is that I live in Calgary and am a Calgary fan. I go to Canes games whenever I am in town. I think I get a pass on this one.

Default Everything to do with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by grainbear View Post
    Robison has stated on more then one occasion that the quality of the team is the PRIMARY reason to award the Cup or not. The attendance is secondary.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANE'S ROCK View Post
    Robison has stated on more then one occasion that the quality of the team is the PRIMARY reason to award the Cup or not. The attendance is secondary.
    That may be Robison's personal viewpoint, that competitiveness trumps profits. But in a league where 5 to 10 teams annually bounce between breaking even and turning a small profit or small loss, you can be sure that those teams' votes are heavily influenced by the size of the cheque coming to them from shared Memorial Cup profits.