Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Canes Mem Cup bid is dead.

Default Actually......

Quote Originally Posted by caniac # 2 View Post
    it will never be over budget, 35 mil for a frickin reno ? you can get a brand new building for that price ( well almost ) ............wow !!
    ......it is 34 million and had they built a new one, the cost would have been in the 60-80 range and Medicine Hat city council just recently voted against a new one in the 90 million range. And that 35 mil for a "frickin reno", just gave that building another 25-30 years lifetime and will be one of the top buildings in the league.

As for progress.....everything is on schedule except for the Hurricane dressing room. Apparently due to all the rain we had the area below the new front part (where the dressing room will be) took in a lot of water and had to be dried out before more work.

Hit the Road Jack!

Hello, I am a Ice fan and was wondering if anybody can give me some insight into Alex Kuvaev that we acquired from you. I understand he was injured last year but had a great year as a 17 year old. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ELL View Post
    Hello, I am a Ice fan and was wondering if anybody can give me some insight into Alex Kuvaev that we acquired from you. I understand he was injured last year but had a great year as a 17 year old. Thank you
    He wasn't injured last year he was just lazy.

He is your stereotypical Russian player in that he has a lot of skill but rarely uses it because he is too busy floating around.

I don't think he is close to the top Euro's that have come over in terms of skill but he does have something there. It will be interesting to see if the Ice can get him to show up more often and see if they can get him to cross the blueline into his own zone, something he wouldn't do while in Lethbridge.

Default re: Koombyev

Thought he was Ovechkin without the wheels.

Good move by the Ice to get him for free. Think Malkin with a bit less speed.

When Kuvaev has the puck, he has as much skill as anyone in the WHL. Great stickhandler and a very strong, yet accurate shot. A drawback is his speed slows down when he has the puck, unlike Eakin who can stickhandle and shoot while at full speed. Without the puck, Kuvaev still has a lot to learn but showed some improvement over the year in his defensive coverage. When he got to play in a top six role (Oct and Nov), he was the type of player who could generate a scoring chance every single shift.

The Canes organization treated him terrible and he has the potential to get 40-50 goals with a different club. (His ice time went up when old Preston was suspended and young Kabayama temporarily took over). He would be perfect on the PP where defense and foot speed are less of a factor and his shot can be regularly used to its full potential. He made the Russian National Team two years in a row (U17 and then U18) and we remember what their U19 and U20 programs did to the WHL all stars last fall.

If he comes back over, I'll be glad to see him play for a good club.

Quote Originally Posted by canes77 View Post
    Good move by the Ice to get him for free. Think Malkin with a bit less speed.

When Kuvaev has the puck, he has as much skill as anyone in the WHL. Great stickhandler and a very strong, yet accurate shot. A drawback is his speed slows down when he has the puck, unlike Eakin who can stickhandle and shoot while at full speed. Without the puck, Kuvaev still has a lot to learn but showed some improvement over the year in his defensive coverage. When he got to play in a top six role (Oct and Nov), he was the type of player who could generate a scoring chance every single shift.

The Canes organization treated him terrible and he has the potential to get 40-50 goals with a different club. (His ice time went up when old Preston was suspended and young Kabayama temporarily took over). He would be perfect on the PP where defense and foot speed are less of a factor and his shot can be regularly used to its full potential. He made the Russian National Team two years in a row (U17 and then U18) and we remember what their U19 and U20 programs did to the WHL all stars last fall.

If he comes back over, I'll be glad to see him play for a good club.
    Wow. I don't see him having anywhere near that potential, but I guess fans see different things.

Also the Canes organization (god I hate defending those jackasses) treated him just fine. He deserved every minute he spent stapled to the bench and didn't show near the offensive ability to justify his complete lack of effort without the puck and in the defensive zone. If you are going to make the Canes play 4-on-5 because you can't be bothered to cover a man or play defense you better have more than average offensive skills.

7. Default Kuvaev...

Word has it, that Kuvaev has decided to stay in Russia and play in the KHL and not with Kootenay.

Guess we will never find out if he would have come back to haunt us.

"Chow for Now"