Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Canes Mem Cup bid is dead.

Default You hit the nail on the head!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    That may be Robison's personal viewpoint, that competitiveness trumps profits. But in a league where 5 to 10 teams annually bounce between breaking even and turning a small profit or small loss, you can be sure that those teams' votes are heavily influenced by the size of the cheque coming to them from shared Memorial Cup profits.
    I could not agree more. With the exception of Brandon's hosting of the 2010 Mem Cup, the "guarentee of revenue sharing for the WHL clubs has recently been over the $1,000,000 mark. That kind of money guarentee started with Vancouver and despite the lower mark from Brandon, you can bet that the guarentees coming from Red Deer, Kelowna and Saskatoon will be double or more than that of Vancouver's. That means small market franchises, and community owned teams will not be able to compete with the men running the "Private Owners Club". The Hurricanes now have knocked on the hosting door three times only to have it slammed in their faces each time. Mind you, with the club they have and the lousy season ticket support, they were out of the picture before the paint dried. If a community owned team won the bid but failed to meet the guarentee....it would put the team in the financial hole, whereas a private owner with deep pockets can write a cheque to cover any differences. It is nice that the Hurricanes are community owned, then we all have partial ownership of the club. But......if they are ever going to be able to financially play with the POC, then the franchise has to be privately owned.

Hit the road Jack!

Angry agreed

Agree with Zamboni. It is is up to the shareholders to decide, which they can, to determine the fate of the team. They can choose the current route, community owned, or put forth a solution to sell the team to a private owner. My guess is that most prefer community owned as they would relinquish their "right" to ***** and moan at the board should it become a private owner. The private owner would be able them to take the grievances and complaints and stuff them where the sun don't shine. The season ticket holders, shareholders and non ticket holders, not a majority, but a minority, prefer the former.

Default community ownership

It is certainly obvious that the fans in Chilliwack wished they had our situation. We can live without the expense of hosting the event and yes the honor. I for now am going to hope that Red Deer wins the event, lets go back to the drawing board as Preston said and get their the same way Kootenay did by winning the league championship and being there deep in the race year after year without selling our future assets . I for one thing think that none of the proceeds should go to anyone other they the teams that make the final three and the host team should get expenses covered first and then based on how they finish should get a percentage,

4. Default I can't fault your reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by grainbear View Post
    It is certainly obvious that the fans in Chilliwack wished they had our situation. We can live without the expense of hosting the event and yes the honor. I for now am going to hope that Red Deer wins the event, lets go back to the drawing board as Preston said and get their the same way Kootenay did by winning the league championship and being there deep in the race year after year without selling our future assets . I for one thing think that none of the proceeds should go to anyone other they the teams that make the final three and the host team should get expenses covered first and then based on how they finish should get a percentage,
    on all but the last point you make. As long as their are MGO (Money Grabbing Owners) running this league you will never see them reliquishing their share of the money guarentees. If the host team gets their expenses covered first and a percentage....based on; let's say finishing second, then were does the rest of the profit go? To the other three teams based on their finish? You can't give the players any.....because then they automaticially become ineligible for college or university. None of the three leagues would go for losing their share of the greenbacks.

Chow for Now!

don't let anything else fool you.

it's all about money.

why is kelowna in the final three? it hasn't even been 10 years since they last hosted.

why is saskatoon in the final three? biggest building = biggest profit potential.

why is red deer in the final three? they're adding more seats, and private boxes.

all three will have profit guarantees that left lethbridge and p.g. as also rans.

we can all be mad about money grubbing owners all we want, every team (and yes even the one you cheer for) gets more when the event makes more.

there's a growing gap between have and have not in the whl. junior hockey is becoming a bigger and bigger business all the time.

Default didn;t read all the post but.............

this makes me wonder why bryan would even apply 4 the mem cup, we are in the 3rd year of our rebuilding from within program and he is willing to sell the farm for one year and a chance to bring the bank account back up...wow, that shows you what kind of retards are running the show.........
    GO CANES GO.................

Default sushu

I think the motive was that in two years the Canes would be competitive enough in two years. At least that was the plan. In concert with the new renos, the suites, restaurant, dressing rooms etc., we will have one of the better buildings in the CHL. As to the "retards" running the board maybe you should come to an AGM and let your name stand. Then there would be a different set of "retards" running the show.

Default quit repeating yourself.......

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    I think the motive was that in two years the Canes would be competitive enough in two years. At least that was the plan. In concert with the new renos, the suites, restaurant, dressing rooms etc., we will have one of the better buildings in the CHL. As to the "retards" running the board maybe you should come to an AGM and let your name stand. Then there would be a different set of "retards" running the show.
    i think in 2 years
    the canes would be competitive in 2 years..lol...shows what you know, they are the botton of the heap...it take time to build from within and you (k-fry) and bryan are the worse things to happen to this org. have fun running this team into the ground..no worries your job is safe at the kfc because people will alway like chicken for dinner..........ps..thanks 4 making my decision easier, it time after 20 year to say goodbye to canes hockey....good luck and good riddance...................
    Last edited by shushu; 06-21-2011 at 03:07 AM.
    GO CANES GO.................

Tone it down in here. Things can still get much worse than being snubbed for a MC bid, two disasterous seasons, dwindling attendance, a long term contract for a failing coach and GM, a long reno to the Sportsplex, no prospect to be drafted to the NHL on Friday...am I missing anything else?
    Hope you're all having a good summer.
    "I promise that we will put an exciting fast paced product on the ice each and every game and bring back the winning tradition to Lethbridge." Berehowsky

Cycle Cycle and then pass it to Michael!

10. Default Miscalculation..

Actually Blacksheep is correct. They decided to bid for the 2013 Memorial Cup because the feeling was that the club would be showcasing one of the top "new buildings" in the league. I said "new buildings" because of the amount and quality of the renovations done. They also believed with the new building and the strength of the draft this year and the previous year would bring the club into a competitive position which in turn would improve the season ticket base. However, the WHL decision to remove the Hurricanes from the final bidding process was the current season ticket numbers and a lack of strength in the 19 year olds that we would have on the 2012-13 season. As for "selling the farm" for one season, Preston has said more than once that he would not mortgage the future.

In hindsight, the Hurricanes would have been better off seeing how things progressed and then prepare for 2016.

Blacksheep=KFC? Where's the proof? Oh...and the Bryans are Brians!

Shushu you will be missed........really?......really?.......really?

Chow for now!